Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 ???

Blog Entries

Windows 10 ???

I have windows 10 and since it was installed when I use my printer I get a message (bottom right side of screen) saying printer cannot comminucate. Eventually it will print very very slowly. Any ideas.
    True4uca

Maybe re-install your printer?

You probably have to update the driver for the printer. Windows 10 made a lot of changes to the system, and there was a warning that some peripherals might need to be updated. Check with the printers web site it should instruct you what to do.

I installed Windows 10 on my desktop that has a wifi HP all-in-one printer. Have uninstalled and installed the printer a couple of times as I can never seem to be able to use the scanner portion of it. I also downloaded and installed their "Doc" app so when I have this issue I just go into it and let it supposedly fix the problem and then I can scan. Problem is I have to continually go into this app to have it correct the problem before I can scan. Just a pain in the [email protected]@ to me. From time to time I also will receive this little pop=up screen telling me I'm no longer connected to the wifi for whatever reason but the next time I go to print I have no issues. Think Microsoft needs to do some tweaking still. Have yet to upgrade my laptop with Windows 10 for this very reason.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

I was visiting family for the past few weeks and when their children were on the Windows 10 computer, it seemed to pop up with that message "no longer connected to the wifi or whatever".......many times...many times. Wonder if that's their "standard message" when something is glitching up!

I would see if there is a newer up to date driver for you printer. I am still delighted with being on Windows XP.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Sadly many printers will not have a updated driver that will allow your printer to work with Windows 10. They all want you to buy a new one. I had this happen when I upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 7. I had to buy new printers/scanners, because the companies refuse to put out new drivers, so they can force you to buy a new printer/etc. It's all a money game. For now I am staying with Windows 7, as I have an expensive embroidery program & other programs that may not work. Some of them I know will not work. I would guess that any program or accessory that was not made to go past Windows 7 may not work or will have major issues on Windows 10.

You can try to go to your printers home page & see if they have an updated driver.

I still have older machines, unfortunately I upgraded my laptop then found out that the remote login function was not available with the free upgrade, but if I pay for it I will be able to use it again. I am not upgrading any of my other computers at work, we use too many older programs that will not work with 10. Unfortunately we did have to upgrade one of our computers from XP to 7 since our accounting software update would no longer work with XP. Why can't they leave things alone. XP was a good system! Yes I know it's all about the bottom dollar, they want ours.

Blog Entries
    One good reason not to jump on the free offer. too soon, is too soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Feather3 View Post
    Sadly many printers will not have a updated driver that will allow your printer to work with Windows 10. They all want you to buy a new one. I had this happen when I upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 7. I had to buy new printers/scanners, because the companies refuse to put out new drivers, so they can force you to buy a new printer/etc. It's all a money game. For now I am staying with Windows 7, as I have an expensive embroidery program & other programs that may not work. Some of them I know will not work. I would guess that any program or accessory that was not made to go past Windows 7 may not work or will have major issues on Windows 10.

You can try to go to your printers home page & see if they have an updated driver.
    exactly I'm agree with you 100% exact same thing happen to me when I went from xp to win7 4 yrs ago so I had to keep my old xp laptop and printer still works but takes a while as I refuse to buy a new printer right now I also have embroidey software and designs so I won't go with win10 anytime soon

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I have to stay where I'm at and gladly. With my real estate that is what works for us. I hate changes when it comes to tech stuff much of the time. Society has made it a necessity.

Super Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    Some printers - we have a Cannon - drivers are not supported by Windows 10 and from what I've been able to find there is not an easy fix. Our printer does not have a Windows 10 compatible driver.Fortunately I still have Windows 8 so when my husband who went to Windows 10 wants something printed he e-mails it to me and I print from my laptop.

I was also, having problems with my All-in-one HP printer after installing Windows 10 and after trying everything. I went on HP chat room and did what they told me to do and now everything works great. You might try that.

I upgraded my desktop from Windows 8.1 to 10 and haven't had any problems so far. I have a Canon printer and it hasn't had any issues with the upgrade to 10.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

My old system works fine so why upgrade?
    What does 10 do that the older systems don't?

I have passed on getting Windows 10. I don't figure I need it.
    Last edited by Jingle; 10-16-2015 at 10:18 AM.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Since installing windows 10, I spend more time trying to figure out what I am doing, than I do doing it. Had a terrible time getting the DVD player to open. I MUST create a Shortcut for that one. lol I am soooooooo computer illiterate

Microsoft strikes again. my computer tech says the Windows 10 is keeping him very busy with problems, glitches etc. I know several folks who have downgraded because of the problems. We needed a new computer for my office and went with a MAC, just sick & tired of the problems with Windows even before the new was introduced OS.

Blog Entries
    I mentioned this before but it bears repeating. A friend works for microsoft. As soon as windows 10 was ready to release, he notified all of us not to install. If you purchase a new computer with 10 preinstalled, it will be fine. But ignore all those messages to upload to your existing computer. Windows 7 will still be supported for quite awhile and those of you who installed 8 have probably worked out all your bugs by now. Wait on 10. But, again, if you purchase a new computer with 10 preinstalled, you should not have any problems.

Blog Entries
    I went from windows 8.1 to 10, what a mistake. First, my Cannon printer didn't work, no drivers available, so that was a new printer. Then PE design didn't work, EQ 7 didn't work, Family Tree didn't work. Luckily, I have a geek plan and they have worked on my 1 year old Dell desktop for 3 weeks. Still have problems staying on line or getting video's. DO NOT UPGRADED. MSFT needs to get their act together first. I'm selling my MSFT stocks, this company is going down the drain if they keep putting junk like Windows 8 & 10 out. I have lots of friends who are buying Apple computers because of the problems MSFT is having.

Thank you for the information, I was contemplating installing it, now I will wait. I use my Mac for everyday but my HP is for my embroidery and no need to up grade now.

Blog Entries
    I recently bought a Canon printer-because it was cheaper than ink cartridges for my old HP- The box listed the programs it was compatible with and I still have XP and it was on the list. Upon installing it all it would do is tell me it did not recognize my existing program and to upgrade to the newest version of Windows. Thinking I was doing some thing wrong I called a friend who told me to put it back in the box and return it. That upgrading to 10 would be a big mistake.So now if I want to print something I use the library

Blog Entries
    I have a question about Windows 10. I received the ok for an update on my main computer but I'm leery of downloading it to that computer. I would like to put it on my laptop but I haven't received any notification that it is ready for download.

Are we only allowed to download it on one computer or is there a way to put it on another? My DH had problems printing something out after he downloaded Win 10 and I get really frustrated when things don't work as before. Old age I guess.

Blog Entries
    I am not interested in working for Microsoft for free to test Windows 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Feather3 View Post

Same thing happened to me when Windows XP was no longer supported, I had to buy new computer and scanner/printer. So I also bought a new larger monitor so I could see more clearly. Even with a new computer I constantly get messages that my computer may be running slow and needs to be fixed. They are just trying to sell me an app. I have Windows 7 and I also get constant messages to upgrade to Windows 10. Ugh!
    GeeGee

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast