Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: windows 10 ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by trolleystation View Post
    I have Windows 7 and I love it. "If it aint broke....don't fix it. That's my motto............................
    I so agree with this. I know at some point Microsoft will no longer have updates for Windows 7 but when I downloaded Win 10 it was a disaster and I was able to go back to Win 7 because it was still and option at that time.

There is actually a doc on Microsoft that shows when support ends for each iteration of Windows: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windows/lifecycle. I am not going to change to Windows 10 yet. So far a lot of the EQ add-ons still work only on 8.

Blog Entries
    I had downloaded the free copy of 10 last yr but hadn't installed in. During the Christmas season I got a smaller laptop and wireless printer for 199 at Bj's, it had a free upgrade to win10. It was the easiest upgrade that I had ever done. it even gave me the option to use a pin number so that I didn't have to type in my long password each time. Looks a lot like 8. I decided to upgrade my other one. The first thing I did was go to Microsoft to make sure my pc had everything necessary to be upgraded. They'll scan your pc to check it first. I was missing something, it got corrected and the rest of the installation was fine. I didn't get the option for the pin but there may be a place on the laptop somewhere that has it. The first time my daughter went to print and noticed there was no printers installed, I told her jus to connect it and see if Win could find it, it gets better at finding devices with each version. She plugged in my printer which is an HP but over 10yrs old and it found it right away and she was able to print what she needed.

My small laptop doesn't have a lot of hard drive space so I was told that I can install software on a portable hd so that's what I'm going to try next for my 5D Pro. Hopefully it'll work. if not I have two other ones.

the one thing that I did love when setting up my small laptop, I also had the option of it pulling my browser and logon history from my other pc, that it wasnt' even connected to, it even pulled my router password over. When I went into the browser, it already had all of my favorites there. I'll go to Microsoft and they normally have tutorials on the systems and it helped alot on win 8.1 If in doubt, google it
    Judy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberta View Post
    I so agree with this. I know at some point Microsoft will no longer have updates for Windows 7 but when I downloaded Win 10 it was a disaster and I was able to go back to Win 7 because it was still and option at that time.
    This is the reason that I kept the first win 8 when I got it, I was so close to returning it. It is so different from 7, which I too loved. I work with computers at work and knew that sooner or later we'd have to switch over and then I'd be getting calls to help others so I needed to know how to help them.
    Judy

my computer was having a hissy and it's under warranty. I took it to Geek Squad, they recommended that I didn't upgrade to 10, "sew" that works for me right now. They fixed most of the rest of the issues. Also told me to make sure I pay for the warranty package before it expires next year- they don't offer my package anymore.

This happened to me but, after a few days the printer worked again. I think the drivers had to be updated for Windows 10.

Blog Entries
    I'm not doing it. I have a three year old computer without a touch screen. I don't want to risk it. Too many things go wrong with Windows updates. I'm using Bitdefender which works better than any of the others I've previously used.
    Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2