Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: windows 10 ?

windows 10 ?

For those of you who have upgraded from windows 8.1 to windows 10: How do you like it and do you think it should be done? yeas or nays? Is is easier? I didn't like 8 when I got it, but got used to it. I have to be honest I guess and tell you that I did upgrade to 10 and then I couldn't get my printer to work so I went back to 8. Had to do 191 upgrades (was'nt happy with that); now i can't get videos to work and computer really slow.
    chatted with geek squad and they said 10 can be reinstalled and they would help me with printer. Comments appreciated.

I upgraded to Windows 10 on my laptop. After turning off several "privacy" invaders it seems fine. I too can't get Windows 10 to believe there is a printer in the room...lol even though it's right behind the laptop. I haven't worried about it though I rarely print from the laptop.

Check to see if more than one anti virus program is running.

I have noticed a long page load time browsing the internet. But that could be my cable internet provider. We get speeds up to or near 50 Mbps, but if something is bogging the system down the speed drops. I found that out last year when my PC (desktop) went in for a check up. I had AVAST but Windows Defender wouldn't shut off so my computer was really slow. The tech uninstalled Defender and I uninstalled Avast and now use Kaspersky. My PC (desktop) runs great now.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    If you cant see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesnt exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot, .......Greg Biornstad

thank you for response. i too have kaspersky.

Blog Entries
    I'm downloading Kaspersky right now and hope it is a real improvement for me, too! Thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post
    I upgraded to Windows 10 on my laptop. After turning off several "privacy" invaders it seems fine. I too can't get Windows 10 to believe there is a printer in the room...lol even though it's right behind the laptop. I haven't worried about it though I rarely print from the laptop.

Check to see if more than one anti virus program is running.

I have noticed a long page load time browsing the internet. But that could be my cable internet provider. We get speeds up to or near 50 Mbps, but if something is bogging the system down the speed drops. I found that out last year when my PC (desktop) went in for a check up. I had AVAST but Windows Defender wouldn't shut off so my computer was really slow. The tech uninstalled Defender and I uninstalled Avast and now use Kaspersky. My PC (desktop) runs great now.
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Blog Entries
    I bought a new computer this fall and had a clean copy of Windows 10. No issues at all with it.

My computer guy said he tells all his customers (most the small t medium businesses in my town) o just use the built in Windows security. They have not had any problems. They do not like Norton at all.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

I upgraded to Windows 10 and so far it's been fine. The only thing I had to do with it is download favorites to the task bar so that when I am scanning the internet, I can go from favorites to favorites without going back to the start page. Everything else works the same as far as I can tell. But I do wish there were no upgrades and that I could just keep the program I know how to use.

This is an interesting post. My MAC died....and I'm poor - so I'm back on a PC with windows 10. I can not figure it out! Tool bar?? I'm ready to throw the thing in the trash. Just getting my mail was a 2 hour event. I really don't have the patience to sit and listen to all tutorials this machine has come with......frustrated - but determined to figure it out, one issue at a time.

Hate windows 10.......nothing but troub I ever after upgrade.......

Hate windows 10.......nothing but trouble after upgrade.......

Blog Entries
    I wish I could figure out how to get rid of all the pop ups that I get with windows 10.

Most of my retired friends hate Windows 10. I refuse to upgrade.

I have Windows 7 and I love it. "If it aint broke....don't fix it. That's my motto............................

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post
    I haven't upgraded to 10. My brother, a techie, said if I do it won't recognize the driver in my printer nor the one in my scanner. I truly don't want to buy new ones!
    "I keep my end tables full of needlework and quilting so I don't have to dust them." ~ Author Unknown but I agree!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Have not upgraded and won't until I absolutely have to!

I am still running XP. YIKES!!
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I have just been notified by Google that they will not service windows vista any longer soon. I have a choice to have 7 upgraded or get a new computer. Mine is eight years old so I am afraid it could go out as soon as I upgrade. The way you all talk about 10 I am afraid to buy a new one with 10 on it. I am not very computer literate so this has me very upset.

Thanks for input. I personally loved XP, but bought new computer that had windows 8; upgraded to 8.1. Never have been overjoyed with it, but learned to tolerate it. I think I would be okay with 10. If I can learn it, I think anyone can.
    I really wish they would have left xp alone. Seems like when you get used to one thing, not long til here comes change.
    My computer has really been bogging down and slow since I changed back to 8.1; may have to rethink 10.

Not a big fan of Windows10. I can't get it to recognize my printer either and it seems every time I go on it has
    rearranged everything. Wish I had removed it right away.
    I don't know how to do that.....YET!
    Life Is About Using The Whole Box Of Crayons.

I upgraded to 10 when it was first available, used it for about 2 weeks and hated it; saw an option to go back to 8.1 and did, but there were several things that I had to reload - one being my internet provider!! so I personally will not install until there's no more options

Mine wouldn't recognize the internet. Drove me batty, had me in tears. Then, one of the kids looked at something and said it was missing a driver. The kid fixed that with a couple of clicks and I'm back on. I'm sure it's easy enough for a kid to figure out what's missing.

I upgraded from Windows 8.1 to 10 and am very happy with it. You can get rid of many of the pop ups. Just go to the pop up and right click. An option will be uninstall. Do that. An instructor told us that Windows will not let you uninstall anything that is essential. So you can't hurt anything by uninstalling something you don't want. Good luck.
    "Finish each day and be done with it ..... Tomorrow is a new day; you shall begin it well and serenely."

Many libraries and senior centers have classes on Windows and on Mac. I think they would be helpful to you. I have Windows 10 and like it, but I hear some who don't. It is important to learn how to work it and then it is very versatile.
    "Finish each day and be done with it ..... Tomorrow is a new day; you shall begin it well and serenely."

I don't like windows 10. My occupation was in IT so I have a lot of computer knowledge.
    Too may bugs in the program. Windows XP was the best.

Blog Entries
    I wish I still had windows 7-but have 8 on this computer. I won't be upgrading to 10 until I absolutely have to. I hope to have a Mac again before this happens-they've tried to copy Apple, and should have left it alone! PC is PC, and Apple is Apple-enuff said
    It's not a stash-it's a fabric library!
    http://www.mamisquilts.com/

I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 last Thursday. I did it while my daughter was visiting. She has had Windows 10 for some time now and I figured she could help me plow through it. I was totally amazed. It did take a long time to do the upgrade, but when it was finished everything worked perfectly. I was worried about my printer, my Silhouette software and my 6D embroidery software. They all work great. I didn't have to download any new drivers or anything. I can't say for sure, but I think a new driver for my printer was part of the upgrade. I say that because my printer has a new name now. Anyway, I was very pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to update, and how wonderful it works. My computer is a laptop and is about 4 years old.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast