Winter in MN 2024

Old 01-31-2024, 08:46 PM

Default Winter in MN 2024

For those of you, especially native southerners, that believe that we live in a winter wasteland up here in MN, the temp today was 52 degrees above zero!!! It was a record high for this date and beat the old record by 9 degrees. No, it is not normal, but this winter it has been above average with almost no snow and none of the bad storms seen elsewhere. For those of us that stay north rather than going south for the winter, we have been rewarded. Our winter still has at least 8-10 weeks left, no matter what the ground hog will say, but it is still more than half over so it is all down hill from here. Smile Smile Smile.
Old 02-01-2024, 04:58 AM

Ditto for Michigan. We have had our bad days of course and in a very weird way, we look forward to them. But today we are supposed to have temps in the mid-40's. The Big Lake is cold so the warm air your sending east is getting a bit of a chill. Ole, Mr. Ground Hog better snuggle down for a few more weeks. It will certainly turn cold again.
Old 02-01-2024, 05:03 AM

Ditto in Kansas! Enjoying temps in the 50's for a change, but I do surely remember the snow covered winters in Minnesota in years passed!
Old 02-01-2024, 05:28 AM

Yes, this year has been foggy! Instead of snowy! This was last year 1/19/23, you can just see the mail box that I had to dig out so we could get mail. I was already starting to shovel the top of the pile of snow at the end of the drive so I could back out also.

I have not used the snowblower once this year and we have not had a single snow emergency!

Strange, but loving the walks in the evening.
Attached Thumbnails img_20230119_142920912.jpg  
Old 02-01-2024, 08:12 AM

I live in Iowa and welcome the snow and colder temps. I lived in FLorida for 30 years and couldn't move fast enough once I retired. I'm orginally from Nebraska so jsut next door to where I grew up. It didn't take long for me to adjust to the 4 seasons either. Love that I can now grow a veggie garden, flowers, etc in the spring thru all seasons, then settle down to winter, enjoy the snow coming down. Don't care for the sub-zero temps we've had this season but I deal with them and just remember that Spring will be here soon enough and already thinking of projects I can work on then. Florida had 4 seasons of green as I called it. The midwest has the real 4 seasons. I used to come up for vacation in the Fall so I could see the leaves changing colors too.
Old 02-01-2024, 08:54 PM

I'm in Minnesota, and we went up to our cabin today! Today wasn't as warm as yesterday, but 46 degrees isn't bad! There is very little snow north of the Cities. We are 3 hours north of the cities, back in the woods, on a lake, and there was only a smattering of snow left in the woods. The lake is still frozen, with one lone ice fishing house on it. The shoreline has started to thaw. It was sunny and serene, and incredibly quiet. We stayed for about an hour, walked around and enjoyed being able to be there on the First of February, be able to drive down our driveway, and not have to snowshoe in from the road! Normally there would be 4+ feet of snow! It was a fun adventure, and a great 8 hours day trip!
Old 02-03-2024, 11:59 AM

I’m in Wisconsin and went disc golfing today. It was a little brisk by by the time we were done at 10 am it was starting to thaw and get muddy.
Old 02-19-2024, 02:29 AM

Default Thanks all!

Your post has been incredibly enlightening.
Old 02-19-2024, 04:50 AM

Yesterday, here in south Texas, the low was 37 degrees. The high on Thursday is forecast at 84 degrees!! Our winter is a series of cold fronts. We go from using the heater to opening windows. When it hits 84, we use A/C!
Old 02-19-2024, 08:06 AM

Here in Southern California we are experiencing our "winter." Lots of rain and even though we need it, 12" from the last storm is too much at once. We're experiencing another downfall and people are losing their houses to mudslides. Still, I'm used to earthquakes, draughts, too much rain, but mostly beautiful weather. My neighbors and I count our blessings.