The Wonders of Vinegar....

Old 05-22-2011, 08:02 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Suzy
I use it full strength in a spray bottle and spray close to the weed or weeds. Be careful for the lawn.

Good Luck

Suzy
I expect it's just a temporary thing ... and the grass will grow back. Weeds too! :)
Old 05-22-2011, 08:46 AM

[quote=kat13]
Originally Posted by niizh
when placing bowls of vingar around room, wouldn't you get thos pesty "fruit flies" or knats. Some flying creature. I live in a rural area and doors are opened and opened and opened, have central air, but no matter. am going to try vinegar bowls. I use for cleaning, especially when my GD wants to help. Vinegar can't hurt her.
Vinegar draws fruit flys. If the flies come around when I am preparing fruit for canning or drying, I set out a bowl with a little vinegar and the fruit flies go to it and drown. It must be the scent of the vinegar that draws them
Old 05-22-2011, 08:50 AM
Power Poster

[quote=swizzy]
Originally Posted by kat13
Originally Posted by niizh
when placing bowls of vingar around room, wouldn't you get thos pesty "fruit flies" or knats. Some flying creature. I live in a rural area and doors are opened and opened and opened, have central air, but no matter. am going to try vinegar bowls. I use for cleaning, especially when my GD wants to help. Vinegar can't hurt her.
Vinegar draws fruit flys. If the flies come around when I am preparing fruit for canning or drying, I set out a bowl with a little vinegar and the fruit flies go to it and drown. It must be the scent of the vinegar that draws them
Put a piece of plastic wrap over the bowls and pierce several times with a needle .... fly trap!!

You can also do that with a couple slices of bananas in a small dish (I use a single size custard cup). I prefer this, as I don't have to worry about the risk of spilling the liquid. And I suspect you could use other cut fruit too.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:48 AM

Every 6 months I put a gallon of white vinegar in my washing machine (no clothes, just the vinegar)and run a wash using hot water. The vinegar cleans all the gunk and debris that may accumulate over time in the washer and, more importantly, the pipes.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:56 AM

This is such a informative post. Thanks everyone for your ideas & suggestions. I took the suggestion about washing windows with vinegar. This morning I washed my slider doors and they are shining!! The vinegar easily removes cute little doggie nose prints. I'll be trying many more of the suggestions here. Thanks again.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:57 AM

I thought this would be a fun and interesting post. My sister tried adding the vinegar to her wash today. Her dog has a terrible skin condition. Between the boo-boos and the meds, YUKKY Stink!! Even bleach wasn't destroying the awful odor.

Ta-da! The vinegar worked!!!!
Old 05-22-2011, 10:58 AM
BMP

Originally Posted by lalaland
Every 6 months I put a gallon of white vinegar in my washing machine (no clothes, just the vinegar)and run a wash using hot water. The vinegar cleans all the gunk and debris that may accumulate over time in the washer and, more importantly, the pipes.
I do the same thing but I do it once a month and also to my dishwasher.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:57 PM

If you have grass in your iris bed they make a product that you can spray and it will kill the grass and not the flowers. I use it in my Raspberries also
Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Originally Posted by swizzy
Vinegar is great for spraying weeds
Really, does it kill the weeds? I ask because I have an iris bed which is half weed and half iris and don't want to hurt the flowers but would love to kill the weeds.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by GrandmK
If you have grass in your iris bed they make a product that you can spray and it will kill the grass and not the flowers. I use it in my Raspberries also
What is the product? I am seriously interested. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:15 PM

I have seen 2 different names I suppose they were different brand. One was "grass beater" and the other "over the top"
The over the top didn't have directions on how to mix in my small tank sprayer so I had to go back to the place I bought it and they called the supplier. It was a boo boo on their part. It was the same as the stuff I bought the year before 1 tablespoon to a gallon. Last year I was like "this stuff is not working" because I could not see the grass dying. I was going to take it back because it was not cheep but then I realized the grass was somehow gone and I swear I didn't see it dying. it just sort of dissinagrated.

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Originally Posted by GrandmK
What is the product? I am seriously interested. Thanks in advance.