Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: worst use of sewing scissors

Quote Originally Posted by jodyma
    OH WHAT A LAUGH I HAVE HAD THIS MORNING. BLESS OUR HUSBANDS. MINE KNOWS TO NEVER----EVER---EVER USE MY SCISSORS. HE WOULD LOSE HIS RIGHT ARM IN A HURRY. BUT ONE TIME HE DID USE MY MUCH CHESISHED 50% COUPON TO JOANNS' FOR A SNICKER BAR.
    LOL!!!

we used to do work on our car, a VW Rabbit diesel - had a shop manual and everything. Adjusting the valve clearance called for VW tool DF-4287 or some such thing - but we did it with a pair of scissors and a screwdriver. Not the good scissors though...

Thankfully those days are over, I HATED working on cars.

I buy lots of cheap scissors and have them in every room, so every one knows to not touch my Fiskars. Heads have rolled when they do try to use them. Now every one know to not touch the orange handles.

Happily buried in a heap of fabric in Indiana!
    My hubby used my embroidery scissors to cut open popsicles when I was gone one evening!.

[quote=KGoodhand]CUT HIS TOENAILS!!!! quote]

I've seen this done with someone else's scissors, fortunately not mine! Then again, I had a great grandfather who would clean his ears with his house key too.

My husband knows not to use my good scissors. He wouldn't find them in my sewing room. To secure the scissors purchase a combination lock used for luggage and no one would be able to use them without the combination.

My husband knows not to use my good scissors. He wouldn't find them in my sewing room. To secure the scissors purchase a combination lock used for luggage and no one would be able to use them without the combination.

I had to buy a second pair of scissors as I hid them from my family and now I couldn't even find the first pair. :)

Quote Originally Posted by sisLH
    I want to get a new scissors-which makes me wonder where I can hide it. If I have mine laying out, it has gotten used for definately non-sewing tasks. The worst -I caught my adult daughter using it to cut branches on the lilac bushes.
    What was your worst usage?
    My kids all now well into their 30's laugh about how NOT to touch my scizzors. It sounds like they were in fear of their lives if touched. I was also a hairdresser @ the time too.

DH always asks as I give him my old scizzors. Since I recently gave him a pair that looks like the new ones I wrote NO NO NO all over the handles w black magic marker.

most of family has been fine. It is guests that get me! Cut Lilacs and open plastic bags.

Dawn NY

Blog Entries
    Opening a can of chicken broth. :(

Blog Entries
    I'm not going to make a fuss over scissors. If I need a new pair I get a new pair.

Blog Entries
    I found my GKs cutting paper with them. I was just a tad upset especially since I keep scissors for them all over the house. The reasoning was "the others were in the other room" grrr

Quote Originally Posted by drw1mjw2
    Opening a can of chicken broth. :(
    roflol

There are scissor locks available out there.
    D in TX

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maride
    I keep several pairs available and very visible on the sewing table. When someone is looking for scissors for any crazy reason, they can use them. The secret is that I don't tell them that it is ok. If I catch them with them I pretend they are using the good ones and I still make a big deal out of it, but the truth is that I couldn't care less. When I need my good ones I make sure no one is around, I get them out, use them and hide them again. I know they have been to the bathroom, the garage, even the car.
    Oh Maria, that is exactly what I have done. My good scissors are in a plastic tub (just like most of my stash) behind several pieces of my stash.

It took me several years to spend so much for scissors, Gingers of course. I advised, sternly, all who wanted to live in peace not to touch them. Fortunately we havn't had any issues and there are plenty of other scissors for everyday use. Even now if someone asks where there is a pair of scissors someone will yell 'Don't touch the good scissors!" which is followed by "I know!"

Quote Originally Posted by ontheriver
    Mine always used to end up in the garage cutting wires, gaskets, whatever the guys needed to cut. I took hubby and sons shopping with me, made each of them buy me a different type of scissor and I did not pick out cheap ones either. After that, they left them alone.
    I did this exact same thing - and it worked, too.

Cutting thin sheet metal..... :cry:

I know a lady who has a padlock on her scissors and keeps the key on a chain around her neck. Solves the problem.

Sons using them to cut wire. That led to a very unpleasant and lengthly lecture. It also began the tradition of ribbon tied to the handle of any cutting impliment they'd be risking their lives to touch.

Great Idea!

Thanks for the responses. One would think I would not need a lock and key to protect them from my daughter who is over 40. However, now that I see what you have written, I guess even older husbands grab them without thinking. My friend said, "well they're just scissors." (ah,gasp!) "How much can they be 5, 10 dollars?" (ah, 2nd gasp !)

I finally got myself a nice pair of Gingher's so now I leave the "decoy" scissors laying in full view.....'cuz no matter how many tmes I say they can't use my good scissors, they always conveniently "forget".

DH once used my best sewing scissors to trim fur off of a battery operated toy after the battery had leaked acid and spotted the fur. Don't think he's made that mistake again. :-D

Quote Originally Posted by sisLH
    I want to get a new scissors-which makes me wonder where I can hide it. If I have mine laying out, it has gotten used for definately non-sewing tasks. The worst -I caught my adult daughter using it to cut branches on the lilac bushes.
    What was your worst usage?
    I buy plastic handled scissors for the house and tell my family they can use any of them they want, but my good scissors. I have all metal or spring loaded handles and they are not to touch them. They do and it is off with their hands. Jan

Now famous quote from middle son "but Mom, it was only light weight speaker wire!" And yes, he learned the hard way by having to replace expensive ginghers! Made a believer out of all three sons!

Husband cutting sand paper :-(

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast