Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: worst use of sewing scissors

Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    That is worse than anything I have ever seen...
    Hide them quick.

DH or DS used my Ginghers shears for cutting wire!!!
    I suggest a padlock through the handles so only you can use your scissors. :twisted:

my 2 mens know better then go in my sewingroom to look for scissors its a deal with dead :twisted:

One of my grandsons used one pair of my best scissors to cut wire to rewire his game playing system. When confronted, he said that there were 3 other scissors on the table, so he just took one. I keep wire cutters, paper scissors, etc in a box on the shelf outside my sewing room with a sign. He walked right past it! Got to love those grand kids!

My son used them to try to trim carpeting and upholstery in his first car. I told him they were sharp and he'd ruin them, so he ran his thumb down the length of the blade to show me that they weren't that sharp at all. (I made him clean up the bloody mess himself, after I was sure he didn't need stitches...)

Quote Originally Posted by sisLH
    I want to get a new scissors-which makes me wonder where I can hide it. If I have mine laying out, it has gotten used for definately non-sewing tasks. The worst -I caught my adult daughter using it to cut branches on the lilac bushes.
    What was your worst usage?
    My son used my sewing scissors to cut paper. GRRRRR. So I bought a padlock and lock the handles together when not in use.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat2
    My husband knows not to use my good scissors. He wouldn't find them in my sewing room. To secure the scissors purchase a combination lock used for luggage and no one would be able to use them without the combination.
    That's an absolutely brilliant idea.

My daughter cutting her hair with a dull pair of my sewing scissors, bet she won't do that again.

I must have been a strict Mom - since my original "good" sewing scissors are still very useable. They actually are in my bathroom as "hair cutting scissors" now, but I told all 4 kids that these scissors are only for fabric or hair...it worked...I have good kids!!

I have found if I tape the loops in the handles with hot pink tape, they tend to get noticed, but left alone.
    I take the tape off when they are ok to use for anything. I use them to cut pizza, and dead head plants outside, open dog food bags, lots of kitchen uses. The rule is handle's not pink? Ok to use.

Never had mine used for anything bad. My boys knew that, or learned they were for my use only. I use to oil paint and some of the brushes I used were really expensive. My oldest son got in trouble for not cleaning them good after he used them. (The paint dried in them) When he got to college and had to buy brushes for one of his classes he called me and said he now understood, because he saw how expensive they were.

Blog Entries
    Until recently I had mine on my sewing table in the box they came in with a little note inside..."Don't even think about it".
    They never were bothered. Now I keep one in a little basket that DH would never think to look in and the little one just stays on the sewing table. He knows better ...I hope.

my kids and Dh could always use the house scissors but they never touched mine i use for sewing. I have some on each desk in the house for them. however my other stuff like brushes, makeup, clothes, etc they thought were fair game even tried the pink trick didn't phaze them a bit. now it is only DH and me and if i catch him in that stuff i know there is a problem for sure lol. he is a little too old to play dress up and not enough hair for a brush.

I own so many pairs of scissors that they don't have to go to my sewing room to find any to use. And they are all well schooled on which ones to use, in fact one day I was using a pair of orange handled scissors to cut paper and my 14YO son said, hey aren't those sewing scissors! I have Ginghers and Fiskars in my sewing room, but these were a cheap pair I got for paper.

Blog Entries
    I don't know if it is the worst, but, I caught my ex-daugher-in-law cutting butts off her cigs with mine. That was several years ago and since then, I got rid of her AND her dad. Much more peaceful. Current husband---He know better than to touch my good scissors. He's a real keeper. Bless his heart, he puts up with me.

Heavy canvas cow feed bags! jp

Blog Entries
    I can't say I have had my sewing scissors used by DH my DD or DS. Let's say not to my knowledge that is. They were all taught early including DH 41 years ago this Mon.that my sewing tools are definitely off limits to all, unless they are going to sew or cut fab.. Even then they would always ask or ask me to cut it. That I knew would not be happening. I always tried to keep them put up expecially when the children were young.All three just knew you don't ever mess with mom's scissors. A good example when my DS was in HS and had a friend over, I had been sewing at the kitchen table, and had my scissors there naturally, of course the boys were in the kitchen also, and the friend just for no particular reason, picked up my sewing scissors and just started to cut some paper that was nearby when my DS almost gave him a heart attack when he yelled "Don't you dare use those scissors to cut paper!! those are mom's sewing scissors, and she will kill you". (The friend's mother didn't sew). DS had to explain to him what they were only to be used for, and paper was definitely not to be cut. My family just doesn't use mine.
    Being a retired school teacher, I have always kept enough pairs of scissors around to be used for anything else.
    Same goes for my sewing machines always off limits.They are not toys that one can fiddle with all the knobs as my DH's nephew did to his mother's and tried with mine once, and I really made his late mother angry when I jumped all over his case about it.

DD is also a hair dresser, and when she purchased a pair of scissors with her own money the first time and paid close to $400. or so... gasp, she truly understands.

Blog Entries
    Dh used my sewing shears to cut his dogs nails! Now, I have kitchen shears that are in the knife block, that I replace from the dollar store, and doggie nail clippers on his night stand with his nail clippers. He uses those, so I don't worry about my Titaniums! or my Ginghers!

Guess there is one advantage to be left handed. No one wants to use my scissors. It is difficult to find "true" lefthanded scissors and you can't find them in the small snipping size. I have some righthanded that everyone uses. If abused, not my problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    That is worse than anything I have ever seen...
    *giggle*

WhenI was little, my mother said not to touch the sewing scissors, they are reall sharp. I decided to see if they were sharp enough to cut pins...well, they were, although it ruined them completely! I told this story to m own kids to keep my scissors safe, and guess what? up, someone just had to try! Another ruined pair!

My bunch has always known DO NOT TOUCH my sewing scissors because I had no money to replace them. To this day all of them still DO NOT.

I have plenty of scissors all over and I write on the handles what they are for... "sewing", "paper" etc....

but my sewing scissors stay in the sewing room now so not a problem...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3