Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Would appreciate craft show advice >

Would appreciate craft show advice

Would appreciate craft show advice

Old 05-01-2023, 09:34 AM

Default Would appreciate craft show advice

I apologize in advance for the length of this post. After 25 years, I retired from doing craft shows in 2016. Even tho I was still doing very well and selling a lot of merchandise, my back and feet said it was time to quit. I had a huge garage sale and sold off hundreds of dollars worth of craft and sewing supplies that I knew I'd never use. I kept a lot of beautiful fabric thinking that I'd like to try quilting. Hard as I have tried, I do not get the satisfaction from quilting that I had hoped, so I want to get back into crafting. (I like the cutting, sewing, and hand binding, but I hate making the sandwich and doing the actual quilting.) For those of you that do craft shows, I am curious what sells well for you. Over the years I did many unique and customized items as well as all the "popular" ones. I don't do any jewelry, painting, candles, floral centerpieces, fimo clay, ceramics or soap. I have done well with sewing decor and kitchen items, baby bibs, crochet dishcloths and scrubbies, paper crafts, stocking stuffers and gag gifts. I am always on the lookout for new and unique ideas, including those that are under $5, as those have been my best sellers. Maybe we can exchange ideas that will benefit us both. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-01-2023, 11:11 AM
Power Poster

Sometimes I would be more willing to buy the instructions for "whatever" than the actual item.

Examples:
The quilted casserole carrying thing
The crocheted nylon scrubbies - but I'm willing to buy those if not overly expensive. The lady in our park still charges only $1.00 each for them.

Or maybe sell a list of where you obtained the instructons for various items

You could put up signs next to some of the items like this:

You can make this yourself for only _______

Then list the equipment needed (cost of)
Materials needed (cost of)
Time needed (variable)
Value of time/labor needed (cost of)

Old 05-02-2023, 02:35 AM

bowl cozies ( free patterns out on the internet)
placemats/ table runners
have sold a lot of free-standing lace items (angels, baby things. etc)
Old 05-02-2023, 03:16 AM

The craft shows I've been to lately have a lot of pet products like fancy collars, harnesses, and clothing. There are usually a lot of little zipper pouches, wine bags, and baby bibs. It seems like there are less craft fairs than there used to be. With today's economy I think it's a risky time to get back into selling at craft fairs.
Old 05-02-2023, 05:37 AM

Both space and neck/shoulder issues keep me from actual quilting of anything larger than a baby quilt. I happily quilt by check - meaning I send it to a l I ng armer to do the actual quilting. I am thrilled to have a beautiful, professionally done quilt.

Have you checked venues in your area? We have few craft shows anymore. So many people started sewing, painting, and doing fiber arts during the pandemic, it seems that a lot of the buyers are now making their own.
Old 05-02-2023, 08:51 AM

Thank you all for your input. Craft shows are rather cyclical and I think that they are in a downward curve again resulting in more and more commercial "buy and sell" items filling the booths, which is sad. Many of the people that started crafting during Covid have stopped now that their lives are busier and they now appreciate what it takes to make hand-made items, so they are new customers. I see the same things year after year at every craft show around here so was hoping that there might be different trends in other parts of the country, but with the internet and youtube it appears that ideas travel very quickly. I have successfully done things for hand-made only consignment shops and might decide to continue in that direction, concentrating on the items that sell well and testing small quantities of new ideas without the overhead of a big craft show. Thanks for giving me some things to think about.
Old 05-02-2023, 10:07 AM
Power Poster

This is not a small item, but a friend has done well selling aprons. Hers go in the $35-50 range, but are very well made using beautiful fabrics. They do take a while to make, but she does it assembly-line style. Most of them see to have a theme, like wine, or gardening, or Halloween, or dogs. She makes them for both men and women.
Old 05-02-2023, 10:35 AM

we sell fabric coasters and they seem to do well. set of 4 wrapped with a ribbon.....miscellaneous types of fabric from sports teams (seem to do well around Fall football season) and holidays (Christmas, Easter, Spring, etc.).
Old 05-02-2023, 01:18 PM
Power Poster

I do hanging towels, towel sets, bowl cozies, pillowcases, recycle bags, etc-----best selling is potholders. My items are low priced so therefore I do not do credit cards, cash only. My friend does credit card but purchases have to be $15 or more just too much hassle to do it any other way. Covid did damage on craft shows, people are just beginning to come out again.
One thing I notice now, price of spot, table. etc, is becoming expensive. Also the show needs to do a lot of advertising. It is fun though to get out and meet folks.
Old 05-02-2023, 05:13 PM

I have always done well with themed fabrics and like the coaster set and apron ideas. A few years ago, I had a friend that made 8" round cocktail napkins in sets of 4 with themed fabrics and serged edges. When we did our annual show, she'd sell them by the dozens. I have never taken credit cards as I only did 7 shows every fall, but today no one carries cash any more so I am wondering if it would hurt sales if I can't take cards. I agree that the thing that I missed most when I quit doing shows was the new customers and the wonderful people that would return year after year to buy from me.