Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Would appreciate your insights >

Would appreciate your insights

Would appreciate your insights

Old 10-23-2012, 06:44 AM

If they aren't accredited by your province, don't go near it! Lots of fake things out there, so do your homework, and do it first, before calling.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:17 AM

Here's my experience with that particular employment field. I took the MCSE (microsoft certified systems engineer) from a brick & mortar school but similar to that which you are looking online. I am not degreed. Don't know about the employment status in Canada, but here in the US, especially in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic regions, the bottom mostly dropped out of the IT market from an employment perspective after 9/11. I, of course, completed my program weeks after 9/11. School was supposed to help with employment. That didn't happen. Because of our proximity to NYC, there were far too many tech types that were forced to work for salaries far, far less than they had been being paid in NY. The closest I was ever able to get to a computer-related position was a phone tech support and that was as a contractor. Most all computer tech positions are now (at least here in the states) are being relegated to 'call centers'. If that is the type position and environment you want to work in; the school checks out; you can afford it; the job market is there, then go for it. But I would check out the employability of the certification before spending lots of $$. Good luck.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:40 PM

Good advice from all. Do make sure that any credits you earn are acceptable and transferrable should you decide to contine in a degree program. Some schools are up front with their transferrability; others not. Good luck.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:56 PM

Hi Ranger.

My dh has a tech company in Victoria BC. He would not hire someone to work as a network or system admin based on an online course.

Why? In part because the work is hands on. You have to be able to trouble shoot a network from the routers and firewalls through to the desk tops. You have to be able to map a system, build it from the ground up and maintain it. You cannot book learn how to do it. It is hands on work.

His senior sysadmin has a computer science degree, with 12 years of hands on experience.

Both his sysadmins build their own computers and can tear them apart and rebuild them at a moments notice. They can splice cables, rebuild UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply), program routers, firewalls and managed power bars.

I wish you luck in your field of study, but please make sure you get some hands on experience. Maybe there is a co-op program you can apply to.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:50 AM

I would like to thank all those that replied with their ideas, information and encouragement.
It does my soul good to see so many people willing to help others.
Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
It looks like I will be doing a lot of research before making a decision.