Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Would you have your dog FIXED?? >
  • Would you have your dog FIXED??

• Would you have your dog FIXED??

Old 04-29-2010, 07:40 PM

Pup is definately Chihauhau. Just not show quality. But no prob most aren't. As for the non barking I have a young cat that doesn't meow! Opens mouth but no sound! Knows how to get our attention anyway! LOL
    Old 04-29-2010, 07:55 PM

Thats something that the vet could check out...

Our cat, Ozzie Ozbourne didn't meow for awhile... He was about 2 months old when he started to meow and he sounded like a little mobster... So I called him Ozzie Capone Ozbourne. Then he destroyed the Christmas Tree so we called him Ozzie Scrooge Capone Ozbourne.
    Old 04-29-2010, 08:29 PM
    Power Poster

All my cats and dogs have been fixed. There are too many unwanted babies being born in the animal kingdom. Just check out the animal shelter. We have a new pup and he is four months out from his date with the vet.
    Old 04-30-2010, 09:03 AM

He looks like our dog Butch who was the dog from Hell. We finally decided he needed obedience training. When we heard the quote, I almost had a stroke. My husband looked at me and said "Our doxie lived 12 years before she went, can you put up with all the chewing, running, etc for the next 12 years?" I just grabbed the contract and signed it. If you break it up over the life span of the dog, it figured to about $50 a year. The guy came to our house and it was the best thing we ever did. He gave tips on stopping the chewing, potty training, making him sit, stopping him from taking off or scooting out the door when we went out and a miriad of other things..well worth it.
    Old 04-30-2010, 01:51 PM

I don't believe neutering a domestic animal "slows" them down, as it only takes away the mating instinct. That's all. It keeps them from running away to find a mate. I don't know why people think it changes behavior...it really doesn't. Especially if done when they are very young. Some people attribute all kinds of weird behavior things to "fixing" their pet, but it's not proven. It's usually the owner who acted differently after the neutering, and that's what's caused the behavior change in the pet.
    Old 04-30-2010, 05:27 PM

Some male dogs get aggressive when they smell a female in heat. My brother's dog almost tore their door down at those times before he had him neutured. Some female dogs get moody or aggressive when in heat so in a lot of cases it DOES change the behavior. Yes it does take away the need to breed but also the problems that the need to breed can cause. If, however, the spaying or neutering is done on an older mature animal the behavior patterns are already established. Therefore there might not be much change expect is the "need to breed". Are you aquainted with horses? Stallions that get hard to handle are gelded to make them manageable.
    Old 04-30-2010, 05:56 PM
    Power Poster

As I stated before, I have 4 dogs all spayed/neutered, 4 cats all neutered. Just because I have taken in a couple dogs and all 4 cats, does not mean I want to live in a stinking house, I work to keep my house clean, 1 dog is large and lives in protected dog pen w/steel roof, no rain,snow ever gets to him. They all live healthier lives and you will have cheaper Vet. bills because of it.
    Old 04-30-2010, 06:07 PM

Have him fixed. someday he'll thank you for it.

I am also opposed to mutillating a dogs ears and tail. my toy poodle has a long fluffy tail that is great in the summer when she wags it.
    Old 05-02-2010, 11:48 AM

I have a three=pound teacup Poodle. He's a Certified Therapy Dog and the group leader said I should have him fixed because he would get cancer if I didn't. I spoke to two vets who said that large dogs do sometimes have that problem if not fixed, but extremely rare in small dogs. So he's going to keep his equipment for as long as he wants. I also have a Maltese. The teacup isn't interested, but I "fixed" her anyway because she has a heart murmur and I didn't want anything to happen to her. We "fixed" the Poodle we had before this one and I'll never do it again! Poor baby, I carried him around for three days. And it didn't change anything. When I got the Maltese my DD wanted to know why I "needed" another dog. I told her that I didn't need another dog, I wanted another dog! That ended that.
    Old 05-05-2010, 09:05 PM

Read your question and scrolled through the rest.

I am going to be very bold here-get the darn dog fixed!

I can say from personal experience after personally euthanizing over 1500, yes 1500 cats and dogs myself over an 11 month period at the shelter I managed, that too many wonderful, loving, innocent, critters are euthanized daily in shelters across this nation because of folks who didn't get their critters fixed. Having yur pet fixed, does not take away from their personalities it only enhances it.
    Your pooch needs more of your attention for at least one hour each day. Take him for a walk, play with him, and when you get home praise him, let him drink some water and he will lie down for a nap.

Please, before any of you breeders pm me or respond to this thread, how many critters have you euthanized? Come stand beside me when I have to put down 3 day old pups, a mother dog and her 11 puppies, etc, etc.

I see you are going to make the right choice jamh for you and your pups sake. Bless you.