Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Which would you nominate for worst/best  book-to-movie adaptation? >

Which would you nominate for worst/best book-to-movie adaptation?

Which would you nominate for worst/best book-to-movie adaptation?

Old 09-01-2011, 04:44 AM

A Woman of Substance was a great book and great made for TV movie. I read it early 1980's.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:49 AM
Power Poster

John Wyndham's The Day of the Triffid. I have never forgiven the film makers for coming up with such a STUPID ending! It still bugs me.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:09 AM

The children's/young adult book "Eagle of the Ninth" by Rosemary Sutcliffe has just been released as a movie "The Eagle" which didn't get very good reviews in Australia and consequently only lasted a few weeks. However, my 20 year old daughter and I saw it (there were only 2 other people in the cinema) and we both loved it -- it really conveys a realistic picture of life in Roman Britain. So if you love historical fiction, read the book AND see the movie (even if it's just on DVD)
Old 09-01-2011, 05:21 AM

I'm a fan of John Grisham, the books and movies made from them. Loved "How to make an American Quilt" even have the VHS and watch it often.
The worst movie adaption of a book that comes to mind is The First Deadly Sin. The lead was miscast and then to make matters worse, they rewrote the ending. No way would the lead character murder anyone. I was so disgusted at the change I told everyone who is a fan of Laurence Saunders to avoid the movie.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:09 AM

I thought the worst book to movie adaptation was "Under the Tuscan Sun" not even close!
The best, IMO, were the Narnia movies, stayed fairly true to the books.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:21 AM

Jurassic Park is the worst I have seen after reading the book. I couldn't put the book down and I wanted to walk out with the movie.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:25 AM

For best I vote for "Dances with Wolves".

Diannia
Old 09-01-2011, 06:36 AM
elm

I wait several months after reading a book before I'll see the movie based on it. That way if it's very different, I am better able to judge it on it's merits as a movie. When I get talked into going to see something I've just read, especially if I really liked the book, I so close to it that I am bothered by changes and omissions.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:57 AM

Scarlet had to be one of the worst. They commissioned the book for the movie and then didn't follow the book at all.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:04 AM

thats one on me, I didnt know they made a movie of Clan of the Cave Bear (is it the same name?).
I watched a movie we got from the library this week - about the guy who wrote the Conan series. Very interesting movie and at the end it said the girl portrayed in it wrote it in her 70s as a memoire of her relationship w/ the writer in the 1930s. (sorry, cant remember the name of it, we took it back, but it was based on the book she wrote)
It was a very good movie and I will look for her book. I think the name was: The Whole Wide World. Rene Zellwiger was the girl in it. sharet