Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Would you take a pill to help with grieving? >

Would you take a pill to help with grieving?

Would you take a pill to help with grieving?

Old 07-03-2010, 03:17 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Laura1557
Originally Posted by quiltinghere
First I don't understand what 'not caring about certain people' has to do with 'grieving the loss of...'.

Does grieving have to be faced? Yes and how we each face it is totally individual.
Does it overcome us at times (right after and then maybe certain times of the year)? Yes
How long should it last? Only God knows
Should we get counseling for it? Sometimes
Should we take medication for it? Perhaps
Should we tell others to 'just move on' - Never!

Like depression medication, there are some people that think it's hokey pokey stuff. I believe in the chemical work of the brain. Some people are genetically made up 'incorrectly' and need medication to function properly, just like high blood pressure medication and diabetes medication (and any other medication you can think of that will fix something that's 'incorrect' in the body).

Hopefully people who are grieving have a network of family and friends who will be there (and watch out for them) till they are able to function ok.

Deep deep deep subject that could go on and on.

Would I take a medication to help me with the depression of grieving? - Yes, if the grieving made me totally unfunctional.
Great post! Echoes my sentiments exactly!
I agree- great post!!
Old 07-03-2010, 03:19 PM

I wouldn't take the pill. Greiving is a natural process. Not only do humans go throught, but so do animals. It's want makes us alive, to care so much for the passing of a loved one. I know it hurts, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I would not want to be happy all the time, because if I was, I wouldn't appreciate being happy half as much.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by sally's girl
We would be robots without feelings. also, what are the side effects of the pill?
Well, there is no pill yet. This is a brain chemical that we all have. The book says it increases greatly in humans two times in our lives: when we fall in love and when we have children. But they think it doesn't make us fall in love or care more for our kids so much as it helps us refocus our minds so the new loved ones are at the center of our attention. It kind of makes us unlearn or lower our attention for whatever we'd given it to before that.

So I had the idea that this could be a great thing for helping people get through the breakup of a relationship or the worst of losing a loved one.

It wouldn't turn you into a robot or make you stop loving the person who is gone, but it would make you stop expecting him to come through the door any moment and aching so badly. It wouldn't remove the grief, only make it bearable.

It would be like an antibiotic, where you'd take it for a week or two, then stop after that.

As for side effects, who knows? You don't want to mess with brain chemicals or take them lightly.

I think for me, it would depend on who died and how badly I was grieving. If I got bad enough so all I wanted was something to take away the pain, I'd probably try it.

Anyway, thanks to all who responded and I'll keep checking back for anyone else's thoughts.
Old 07-03-2010, 04:29 PM

Even though it is an interesting concept...I would never take a pill to remove greiving. God put those emotions in us and it is there for a reason. I think that if you took a pill you would never deal with the grief..just cover it up. Just my take on grief.
Peace and Blessings
Old 07-03-2010, 04:38 PM
Power Poster

Nope..I wouldn't even though grief is a very powerful and stong emotion, one that is often very difficult to deal with.
Old 07-03-2010, 04:39 PM
Banned

Give me a gallon zip lock bag full of Zanax and a the keys to Hancocks of Paducah and I am good!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Billy
Old 07-03-2010, 04:45 PM

Well, like many others here, I think grief is a process that must be gone through for future healthy functioning. And on principle, I think it would be better to "go through it the hard way" rather than shortcut the process chemically.

However, if I were grieving someone, ask me then, and I might change my mind just to stop the pain.
Old 07-03-2010, 04:53 PM
Banned

No, I wouldn't take the pill. It is really hard still to get over my dad's passing away, but at the same time all those thoughts and feeling were all connected to my dad. I would give them away no matter how hard it gets.
Old 07-03-2010, 04:59 PM

No pills for me. Lost my son to suicide and ten years later I tear up when I am with any of his five children...little tiny pieces of him left here for me to love. Make quilts, do things for someone else, show kindness to a neighbor...all these things are my best medicine.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:15 PM

I wouldn't. Grieving is a natural and very necessary process. I have taken a nerve pill once in awhile to help me sleep during the grieving period but I wouldn't want something that would wipe it all away. When a loved one dies a part of you is ripped away. As with any wound it has to heal for you to go on living. Going through the grieving is part of the healing.