Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Would you take a pill to help with grieving? >

Would you take a pill to help with grieving?

Would you take a pill to help with grieving?

Old 07-03-2010, 10:36 PM

Coping and going through the process of grief makes us stronger when we finally get through it. I know, I lost my Mom and 4 months later lost my DH. My two nieces, daughters of my older sister, put me through h_____ after my DH died. I had to take them to court for a protective order. There were many times I wandered if I would be sane in the end. It's been 5 years and I am almost my old self and more independent than I thought I would be. All this is because my Lord Jesus loved me so much He saved me 60 years ago and has kept me in His loving care ever since, even when I didn't know it. Six months after DH's death, my daughter and I were in a car wreck that by all statistics we shouldn't have walked away from according to the Hwy. patrol officer. I could feel His presence in the car with me, as it took them a half hour to get me out. I had bad bruises and my daughter had a broken ankle and pinkie.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:46 PM

i find the only problem with running is i always take myself along it just seems i can't get away from me so i sew another quilt of do some other project
god bless and i hope you find your self.
i went through that some years ago [change of life situation when my daughter died]

god bless you and keep you safe with in your self
Old 07-03-2010, 11:09 PM
Power Poster

I don't like the idea of a medication to blunt your senses, seems like it would be similar to the self-medication route of alchohol and illicit drugs. You can't live life numb.

Giving yourself some time alone, your faith, seeking counselling or professional help, sabbaticals and road trips, quilting, gardening or any number of other things that help you get through are all healthier, and better for a long-term outcome.

Part of being alive is the rawness of the whole thing...love, loss, laughter and tears...we have to accept it all as part of the deal.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:22 PM
Power Poster

I think some people fall into deep depression when they experience a traumatic event and I believe that therapy may be the answer to get someone through the ordeal. If the therapist believes that anti-depressants are in order, then I support that manner of care.

That said, I believe that we learn and grow as a result of all our experiences - the good and the bad. I believe that the feelings will not be denied and they would surface even if there was a "don't give a sh**" pill. So no, I don't want it.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by Pam
Billy, that ride sounds like the adventure that most only dream about. Good luck to you and may you stay safe on your ride. If you head down Route 66 I am not too far away, you could sleep in the camper, have a great meal or two, do a load of laundry for sure!

Did I mention I am a fantastic cook, and I have venison! Could make some jerky for you.
I might have to make it up there for that!! I think the closest I will be to you will be in Pratt Kansas and then its west bound from there. But I have a return trip and it might be coming your way so let me figure out the route and I will see if I can make it!!

You got me with the Venison!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Billy
hi Billy
do you have friends in Pratt?I know a few people there,My girls' great grandmother lives there
Old 07-04-2010, 04:41 AM

I lost my brother to suicide 5 years ago and researched the meds he was on. I was undecided whether or not meds worked. What I learned was certain diseases need meds - like my brother. For myself- I don't like to take meds, but I can see where someone needs to "take the edge off life" to help get through bad times. I commend them for recognizing this.

Now- enter PTSD. My son was in a terrible accident. He started having panic attacks (we had to get him from college one night as he couldn't drive home) and when we went to the Dr. he prescribed a mild antidepressant. After the problems with my brother's suicide I was totally against giving them to him. But the dr. explained it was temporary and just to relax his brain to let it heal for about 3 months. (He had minor injuries but there were issues in treatment time and he was life flighted to the trauma unit) The transformation was amazing- he turned into this nice person. We could talk about the accident and he understood what he was feeling and relaxed for the first time in months. He ended up flunking the semester so we have a do-over this fall but I have my son, the alternative was not nice. But the panic attacks are gone and he is now ready to go back to college in the fall.

But- grieving- we all grieve differently and to different depths. I know I felt the deepest sense of loss after I lost my brother and went through some life changing times. I quit a high paying (stressful) job because I couldn't take being away from my children and became fanatical about their whereabouts at all times. I look back and realize I could have benefited from some meds, but I was so angry at my brother for not using his meds correctly and completing suicide. So if you need them- take them. If you don't want them, don't take them.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by azdesertrat
hi Billy
do you have friends in Pratt?I know a few people there,My girls' great grandmother lives there

Only the sweetest quilter in Kansas Darcene.

Billy
Old 07-04-2010, 07:05 AM

I have a chemical imbalance in the brain and take meds for it. I will always have to. I suffer many years without meds and was almost housebound. Now I can live and enjoy life but there are still days it is a struggle. Meds for this, yes get help and take them.
Old 07-04-2010, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Lisanne
Originally Posted by JanetM
I think the intent of the original post was asking the question as to whether we would take a pill to eliminate our grief.
No, though I think that's how most people are interpreting it. The idea was a pill that would ease grief and allow you to move on more easily by refocusing on the people you do still have. Not to eliminate or wipe it out.

It would not be an anti-depressant and would not cause a fallback once you stop taking it.
Sorry, I misunderstood that it would ease, not eliminate grief. For me, I would still try to cope with grief without medication, but only if I felt my grief was nornal and not paralyzing.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:28 AM

No, I would not, and I did not. Our 29 year old son was murdered 2 years ago. For a while I had a tough time sleeping. While I was at the doctors getting a check up, the doctor asked what had gone on the past few months. I told her that our oldest son was murdered and she instantly tried to put me on all kinds of meds. I decided I needed to use my faith and trust in God to get me through. So every night I would lay in bed and literally count all the blessings every given to me. I would lay there and say "Dear Heavenly Father, Thank you for .........." and I would repeat that over and over until I fell asleep.