Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Wow did I do something stupid today! >

Wow did I do something stupid today!

Wow did I do something stupid today!

Old 11-09-2012, 05:43 PM

I was visiting my son a few weeks ago, and was helping make dinner by frying shrimp. The tongs he had were too big for my hands, but I opened them anyway to get a 'better' grip. Wrong move. I lost control, the tongs were in the hot grease picking up shrimp when they popped open spraying hot grease all over me. I got burns on my neck, both arms and the only thing that protected my upper torso was my cloths, and my feet because I had on topsider shoes. I immediately rinsed under cold water at the sink and grabbed ice and proceeded to rub all the burn areas continuously with the ice. We went to the drug store and I bought Solarcaine Gel for burns. When you put this on the burn the pain stops immediately. The pain free doesn't last long, so you put it on again and again. I did that most of the evening. By the time I went to be I did not feel any pain. The burns turned red, but did not blister. I had used this gel 15 yrs. ago when I had burned my finger badly grabbing a knife that had been holding open an oven door. At that time, I hurt so badly I was almost in tears and the pharmacist recommended the Gel. It is really great.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:10 PM

I hope you had an aloe plant to put on the burns
Old 11-09-2012, 09:12 PM

Oh I am so sorry, I know how painful burns are. Don't ask me how I learned ....but I can show you one ugly scar.?
Did you go to the doctors? You might need to go.

Kat
Old 11-09-2012, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzmyn View Post
what is a "rice bad" and how does it help burns???
I think she means "rice BAG" ?? It works like ice from the freezer, but it doesn't melt. I could be wrong, though
Old 11-09-2012, 10:17 PM

Best remedy I ever found for a burn to prevent a blister. Put the burned area under cold running water-running water not water in a bowl, and keep it under the running water for 3 minutes and TIME the minutes because you will not believe how long it seems. Use a watch or timer or if someone else is there have them watch the clock. Since I heard of this I have had burns that would have blistered but they didn't and were not that sore either.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:22 PM

[I can relate to all the dumb things, I believe I have done them all in my 78 years. I grab an egg and separate the white and yellow, slightly beat the white and spread on the burned area. You can do it several times. It works!]

Don't know if I would put egg white on an open burn or wound. The egg might be contaminated with samomella(sp?). Sure wouldn't want that on an open area. And for all I know the egg might carry other bugs like E. coli(sp?).
Old 11-10-2012, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by captlynhall View Post
I was visiting my son a few weeks ago, and was helping make dinner by frying shrimp. The tongs he had were too big for my hands, but I opened them anyway to get a 'better' grip. Wrong move. I lost control, the tongs were in the hot grease picking up shrimp when they popped open spraying hot grease all over me. I got burns on my neck, both arms and the only thing that protected my upper torso was my cloths, and my feet because I had on topsider shoes. I immediately rinsed under cold water at the sink and grabbed ice and proceeded to rub all the burn areas continuously with the ice. We went to the drug store and I bought Solarcaine Gel for burns. When you put this on the burn the pain stops immediately. The pain free doesn't last long, so you put it on again and again. I did that most of the evening. By the time I went to be I did not feel any pain. The burns turned red, but did not blister. I had used this gel 15 yrs. ago when I had burned my finger badly grabbing a knife that had been holding open an oven door. At that time, I hurt so badly I was almost in tears and the pharmacist recommended the Gel. It is really great.
Ouch Lynda! How are the burns now? I got that queasy feeling in my tummy again when I read this!
Old 11-10-2012, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by DebbieJJ View Post
Ouch Lynda! How are the burns now? I got that queasy feeling in my tummy again when I read this!
DebbieJJ,
Thanks for asking. I had red spots that looked kind of ugly on my arms and neck for several days, but never had any pain after treating with the cold water, ice and gel. After about 4 days, I started putting a very light lotion on the areas because they were beginning to feel dried out. I am going to buy my son about 3 sizes of cooking tongs so in the future he has the right tools for the job.LOL!
Old 11-10-2012, 08:32 PM

Ladies, get you a bottle of WHEAT GERM OIL...keep it handy, where you might get a burn, ie: kitchen, craft room, etc. Put it immediately on the burn, waa laa, no blistering at all...It's oily, don't have to rub it in, I just kinda tip it up on end of finger and place on area burned... It's been proven, works better than toothpaste or other remedies!!

I recently burned my ring finger with HOT GLUE! and we all kno how that burns... I got the glue off, along w/skin! I grabbed the oil, and in an hr or so, couldn't even tell it had been burned, and it WAS burned!!
Old 11-10-2012, 09:08 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Teddybear Lady View Post
When I was a teenager, I was ironing a blouse I was planning on wearing. I was in my underwear at the time and ran the iron right into my stomach. Yep that hurt.
This one made me smile....did the same when I was a girl, but I was wearing bikini bathers. Yeah....those days are long gone