Yard Sale Treasures !!!!!

Old 10-15-2011, 11:59 AM

Great job on your garage sale finds, why can't I find things like that in our area. I used to go out with my sis every Sat morning when I lived in OKC. Can't wait to see the pics of the machines!
Old 10-15-2011, 12:23 PM
Google Goddess

Wow, you got some cool antique sewing machines

Congratulations!

Originally Posted by Honeynga
Didn't want to go yard selling this a.m., just wasn't in the mood. But got to thinking it is a great day and I had my list from the local newspaper......so, headed out !

First place I stopped was a a house that advertised they had lived there 20 years and never had a yard sale, oh great, a lot of old stuff. Even though they said they had lived there was a while I already knew it was in a very nice older settled neighborhood by a large lake.

WOW ! First thing I saw was a Singer in a cabinet !......looked it over and it looked great, sticker price was $20 and I didn't dare to barter on this ! The cabinet was worth at least that much ! Lady said she used to teach in a local school and the students used it to sew simple things......and it worked the last time she tried. Couldn't wait to give her the $20 and get it in my car. This machine is vintage 1941 according to web.

She also had another Singer that was rusted and didn't look too great, plus the throatplate was missing, she was only asking $10...kicking myself I didn't buy it also !

NEXT, stopped in at another sale in a very upscale golf community.....nice stuff, nothing in particular. Was talking to the homeowner and was telling her how excited I was to get the Singer in a cabinet...she asked if I was interested in another machine she had one that had belonged to her mother, in a little black case and I could have it for $25 !

ABSOLUTELY, she went inside, brought out the most beautiful Singer I've ever seen......excellent condition, case is in excellent condition....WOW.

Not sure it is a true Featherweight but am checking it out. I did Google the serial number and it was made in October, 1950; just can't find what designates it as a true Featherweight.

In all seriousness I cried when I got back in the car with this machine; I was raised in a foster home and my foster mother made almost all of my clothes on an identical Singer; oh the memories that came flooding back !

I'll post photos as soon as I can figure our my digital camera, which is another story in itself !

I've got "her" on my sofa and can't take my eyes off her......now for a name.......
Old 10-15-2011, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Honeynga
Thanks for checking and if you ever want to get rid of that precious black and white baby I'll take it !
We inherited her when MIL died. I did get her for her 11 years ago ad 4:55 pm. She was going to go back to the shelter and be euthanized at 5:00 pm if no one adopted her. She's really been a nice cat and I love her to pieces.

She has her very own personality. She thinks she's a dog. She comes when you call her and she begs at dinner time.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:07 PM

Figure out that camera and post pictures...we love to see great deals.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:17 PM

Wonderful, enjoy all. :thumbup:
Old 10-15-2011, 08:29 PM

My avatar pic is of a featherweight. One thing I know is the Featherweight is suppose to weigh 11 lbs. Can you get on a scale with it, then without it? Just a thought.

I recently read a post on here about naming machines after the owner and someone suggested going back to the estate sale to inquire about the owners name.
I recently bought a Singer 301A (very similar story to yours, didn't really want to go junkin', but forced myself) then found myself at a sale talking about sewing and was presented by the person having the sale with the Singer. It was not in the sale, as it held too much sentimental attachment to her, but I guess I past the test.
I had to leave it then and come back for it as it was in a cabinet and would not fit in my car. When I returned I was happy that I had most of the day to think about the purchase because I remembered to ask the girl what was her mother's name as I would like to name the machine after her. She told me Edna, through watering eyes. She was choked up.
My daughter and I were comparing it to my featherweight and I told her, This is sometimes called the Big Sister to the Featherweight. She then said, I know, instead of EDNA, lets call her Big Ed! So Big Ed it is!
Old 10-15-2011, 08:32 PM

How wonderful for you!!
Old 10-15-2011, 08:37 PM

Congratulations. Enjoy your new toys.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:00 AM

Tears come to my eyes when I read stories like this. Why can't it be me? Oh, I know why, first you have to hit the sales. I don't do that. Dry your eyes. It's hard to sew when your eyes are blurry. Good Finds!
Old 10-16-2011, 04:37 AM
Power Poster

What great finds. Will look forward to pictures.