Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Yay! Snow!

Super Member Baren*eh*ked_canadian's Avatar
    Ok, so I realize most people hate the stuff, and normally I wouldn't be thrilled about it myself since I can't even go skiing this year because of the baby in my belly... HOWEVER, I work in Auto Body, and since most people forget how to drive in snow :roll: it means more fender-benders and more work for my garage!
    I've been on temporary lay-off since August because there's not much work right now. I would have been off work anyway because of the pregnancy and my job is totally poisonous, but the CSST ( I don't know what the equivalent in the US or the rest of canada is, but basically it pays my salary because I CANNOT do my job without risking the health of my baby, I guess it's kind of like temporary disability?) does not protect me from being laid off. As soon as work pics up again, they would theoretically give me hours again and then the CSST would take over paying me instead of unemployment which only covers 55% max of my salary... so try living off 375 bucks a week. It CANNOT be done, we're in debt over our heads and can't do anything about it until work picks up.
    So... YAY SNOW!!!!

Plus, it's not even cold out, it's like -2 or something, and they're calling for snow Wednesday, Thursday and Friday!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beautiful, I am so jealous.

lol, you won't be so jealous when I get my car stuck in a snow bank, though, lol.
    Last year I let Sasah go move my car and he drove it into a snow bank the was mostly ice chunks from the snow plow, he he broke off my mud guards on my car, I was soooo angry at him!! In February I will be jealous of your California weather :)

I know I am nuts, I am not from Southern California. In fact I was actually born in Anchorage and being an Army brat lived in Germany and have lived in more states than I care to count, Washington state being my favorite. I Miss the seasons and miss the snow. Just like some people get tired of the snow. I get so tired of Blue Sky and no clouds, LOL. I don't think I am normal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baren*eh*ked_canadian
    lol, you won't be so jealous when I get my car stuck in a snow bank, though, lol.
    Last year I let Sasah go move my car and he drove it into a snow bank the was mostly ice chunks from the snow plow, he he broke off my mud guards on my car, I was soooo angry at him!! In February I will be jealous of your California weather :)

I can undertand that. At least we get 4 seasons, it's not summer all the time, or winter all the time. I think I would get sick of it too...

We put up light on Saturday it was almost 80 degrees, although yesterday it was windy and in the low 60s and the mountains we could see had some snow. We are in the high desert of california. Usually on Christmas Eve we have friends over and all the doors open because it is so warm. We have very few fall colors and our trees are just now turning to yellow with a few and I mean very few red leaves.

Boy do I miss the snow. Usually we try to go somewhere in the winter to see some snow or I go back home to NC in January or February and hope it snows while I am home.

Quote Originally Posted by shaverg
    We put up light on Saturday it was almost 80 degrees, although yesterday it was windy and in the low 60s and the mountains we could see had some snow. We are in the high desert of california. Usually on Christmas Eve we have friends over and all the doors open because it is so warm. We have very few fall colors and our trees are just now turning to yellow with a few and I mean very few red leaves.

Wow, our trees are bare! They were yellow, red, all colours back in September when I went apple picking.
    I went to Florida about 10 years ago right after Christmas ( I mean, we left Montreal on the 25th and drove down) and it was so cool to see the climate change as we were driving, and it was even more strange to see christmas lights on palm trees!
    As much as I b!tch and gripe about our winters, I don't think I could ever permanently live in a warm climate. It's just not the same!

Actually, two years ago (I think) was the first time I ever remember there being a Christmas without snow. Not a flake on the ground till around New Years, and then the rest of the year we got CREAMED!!! I think we ended up with somewhere around 500 cm of snowfall that year...
    That's 5 meter's of snow... in the city!

Quote Originally Posted by Loretta
    By the way, be careful walking in the snow- you are carrying very precious cargo- right?
    Yes! Absolutely! I get to park in the preggo spots at the mall now, so I don't have to worry about breaking my face walking on ice through the parking lot this winter. I also have indoor parking at my house, so I should be ok this winter. Still kind of bummed that I can't go skiing, though.

Baren

We are getting snow down here in Vermont today.
    The wet slushy kind.
    Only 28 more days til I head south, getting my sewing machine packed.

Blog Entries
    I love snow, up to about 5 or 6 inches of it lol...but have to say that here we can get tooooo much every once in a while lol. We are not equipped to handle it..as it is not often we get winters like last year. Our area comes to a standstill, not enough plows, people thinking they can drive passenger cars through a foot or more of snow.. I just sit in my nice warm house and watch the craziness from my windows LOL

Yes, be very careful...do they have those spikes that you can slip on over your shoes there? I had a pair and they work great to keep your footing in packed snow and ice.

YIPPEEE!!!! SNOW!!! WOOHOO!!!!

You guys are making me so homesick for snow.

All our lights are up to waiting for the Santa Ana wind to blow our lights down. LOL.

It is so pretty. I can wait for it to get here though.

I was born and raised in Massachusetts, and any given year we only had a 30 % chance of snow on or near Christmas. Now I live in Oklahoma. I will probably never see another white Christmas. :cry:

I do have pictures I have taken and other pictures that I can look at online, but it is just not the same as being there.

Banned
    I dig snow like the next guy but honestly if I had my druthers I would prefer being on a tropical island year round any day!!!

Billy

We have 4 seasons here in St. Louis. I don't mind snow as much now because I am retired and don't HAVE to be anywhere. I can wait for it to melt or be packed down by others. I don't miss the slush of parking lots! Or the lack of parking spaces because the snow has been pushed up on the end of the aisle and people forget how to keep lines in lots and just park all over! I grew up in Wisconsin, and I have had my fill of shovelling winter. I don't have anyone to do it for me, so I enjoy limited snow falls! I like to see a fresh snow fall, all fluffy and clean! I don't miss yellow snow or ice!

Here in Western NY. In October we had snow BEFORE Halloween! Actually quite a bit, enough to stick the ground and stay there! It it now December and I am still wearing just hoodies ouside when I walk home from lunch during school!! At night we get a light dusting but by noon it is all gone, and its a muddy, slushy, type mess. Yuck! I want some snow now! Please?? For a Christmas present?? :-D

Quote Originally Posted by fluffbug95
    Here in Western NY. In October we had snow BEFORE Halloween! Actually quite a bit, enough to stick the ground and stay there! It it now December and I am still wearing just hoodies ouside when I walk home from lunch during school!! At night we get a light dusting but by noon it is all gone, and its a muddy, slushy, type mess. Yuck! I want some snow now! Please?? For a Christmas present?? :-D
    Must have been some of the same snow we got around the 21st or 22nd of October this year, stuck around for a bit then melted the next day.
    New York is not too far from Montreal, well, depending on WHERE in New York.

Liam would love for me to take him to the snow. It would be nice to visit someone where it snows. LOL Maybe we could and visit you! It does look soooo beautiful.

Banned
    lost in fabric & I'm not coming out until Secret Quilt Angel is over.
    I love the snow, I could get snow in for months and I would be happy as a pig in a poke.

Banned
    It is beautiful, but honestly dearheart, you can keep it. I don't hate snow, I just get nervous walking & driving in it.

Quote Originally Posted by tlrnhi
    YIPPEEE!!!! SNOW!!! WOOHOO!!!!
    UNfortunately, I can't send you some of our snow in a box... I did think of sending you a box of fall leaves, but someone else took that idea right out of my head before I even said anything! Great minds think alike, I guess!

Thank you for the snow. It's snowing here in Dallas. I can't stop giggling.
    :-D

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast