Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
You Know It's Fall In New York (Part 2)... >

You Know It's Fall In New York (Part 2)...

You Know It's Fall In New York (Part 2)...

Old 10-02-2011, 03:32 PM
Power Poster

Thosse look wonderful
Old 10-02-2011, 04:11 PM

I posted recipes on the other thread so I'll do the same here as I've already had a few requests.

Apple Cheesecake
2 3/4 pounds Granny Smith Apples
1 2/3 c. firmly packed brown sugar, divided
1 tablespoon butter
2 cups cinnamon graham cracker crumbs (about 15 whole crackers)
1/2 cup melted butter
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
3 (8-oz.) packages cream cheese, softened
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 large eggs
1/4 cup apple jelly
Sweetened whipped cream

Preparation
1. Peel apples, and cut into 1/2-inch-thick wedges. Toss together apples and 1/3 cup brown sugar. Melt 1 Tbsp. butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add apple mixture, and sauté 5 to 6 minutes or until crisp-tender and golden. Cool completely (about 30 minutes).

2. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350º. Stir together cinnamon graham cracker crumbs and next 2 ingredients in a medium bowl until well blended. Press mixture on bottom and 1 1/2 inches up sides of a 9-inch springform pan. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to a wire rack, and cool crust completely before filling (about 30 minutes).

3. Beat cream cheese, vanilla, and remaining 1 1/3 cups brown sugar at medium speed with a heavy-duty electric stand mixer until blended and smooth. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition. Pour batter into prepared crust. Starting on the outer edge, arrange apples in a circular pattern over the cream cheese mixture.

4. Bake at 350º for about 90 minutes or until set. (Note: Southern Living recipe stated 55 minutes to 1 hour and 5 minutes, but my center was REALLY jiggly. You want it to be set in the middle.) Cover the apples with foil if they begin to brown too much. (I covered mine for the last 40 min. and still had to snip off some edges with a scissors.) Remove from oven, and gently run a knife around outer edge of cheesecake to loosen from sides of pan. (Do not remove sides of pan.) Cool completely on a wire rack (about 2 hours). Cover and chill 8 to 24 hours.

5. When ready to serve, remove sides from springform. Cook apple jelly and 1 tsp. water in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly, 2 to 3 minutes or until jelly is melted; brush over apples on top of cheesecake.

Serve with whipped cream.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:16 PM

Rosemary Pork Roast

3 medium tart apples, peeled and chopped
1 cup unsweetened apple cider or juice
3 green onions, chopped
3 Tbsp. honey
1-2 tsp. dried rosemary, crushed
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 (3 lb.) boneless pork loin roast

In a saucepan, combine first six ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer, uncovered for 5 minutes. Cool slightly. Place roast in large resealable bag and add half of the marinade. Cover and refrigerate overnight, turning occasionally. Transfer remaining marinade to bowl. Cover and refrigerate. Grill roast, covered over indirect medium low heat for 1 1/2-2 hours or until 160 degrees, turning occasionally. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing. Heat reserved marinade and serve with pork.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:19 PM

Here's the Apple Dumplings Recipe:

1 3/4 c. flour
2 tsp. sugar
3/4 tsp. salt
10 Tbsp. cold, unsalted butter, cut into 1/4" slices
1/3 c. ice cold water
5-6 small baking apples
4 Tbsp. cold butter
3/4 c. apple cider
3/4 c. water
3/4 c. raisins
1/2 c. sugar
1/8 tsp. cinnamon
Pinch of nutmeg

Combine the flour, sugar, salt and sliced butter in a mixing bowl. Use a pastry blender to cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add cold water and mix with your hands. Turn dough out onto a floured surface and pack it into a ball. Knead once or twice. Then dust it with flour and divide into 5-6 pieces~one for each apple. Flatten each into a 1/2" disc. Wrap each in plastic wrap and chill one hour.

Meanwhile, core and peel apples 2/3 of the way down from the top, leaving 1/3 unpeeled at the base so that the fruit will hold together when baking. Set aside. Butter a shallow dish. (I use a special, cast-iron dish made for apple dumplings but any normal dish will do and that's what these instructions are for) Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Working with one piece of dough at a time, while keeping the others chilled, roll the dough into an 8" circle on a lightly floured surface. Place an apple in the center of the dough. Fill the core loosely with raisins and press a dab of butter into the top. Cut triangle wedges about 2" long out of pastry at the 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock positions on the dough. Remove scraps to make pastry leaves later. Using a pastry brush. lightly moisten all dough edges with water. Fold one pastry panel up over apple, followed by adjacent panel, pressing together to seal seams. Repeat with other apples. Make sure fruit is enclosed and dough is sealed and secured. Cut leaves from pastry. Brush undersides with water and gently press them onto the pastry.

Arrange in baking dish, spaced evenly apart. Bake on center oven rack for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, bring remaining butter, cider, water, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. After 15 minutes, baking time, reduce heat to 375 degrees. Remove dumplings from oven and baste with sauce. Pour the rest into the pan. Bake 35-40 minutes, basting every 10-15 minutes. When apples are tender by toothpick, transfer pan to a cooling rack. Serve warm or at room temperature. Enjoy!
Old 10-02-2011, 04:22 PM

Looks yummy! Thanks for the recipes.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:23 PM
np3
Power Poster

Printed them! Thanks!
Old 10-02-2011, 04:25 PM

I didn't know there was a special, cast-iron dish made for apple dumplings...
Old 10-02-2011, 04:56 PM

Yummy, thanks for sharing.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by Ps 150
when there's apples in the oven again! And on the grill! You'd think, after last week's apple mania ( http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-155681-1.htm ) that I'd be tired of apples but I'm not yet. I started this afternoon and just kept on baking. Now, there's only one apple left in my crisper drawer and I think that will be hacked up into apple muffins for tomorrow's breakfast.

Should be a sin to tease people this way. They all look wonderful.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:03 AM

Those look wonderful.
Thanks for the recipes. I will try the Pork Roast one, but the others, well, I just won't go there. Can't wait to try the pork one.