Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Are you old enough to remember... >

Are you old enough to remember...

Are you old enough to remember...

Old 08-26-2011, 06:56 AM

When I sew clothes I sew over them, have for years with no ill results - knock on wood. Quilting pins are larger and so I pull them as I approach them.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:39 AM

I was also told to sew over pins (I learned to ease sleeves in with pins). I can't remember breaking needles on my old mechanical machines. I try to remember to pull them out on my newer machines -- for tough spots (like joinings) I try to remember to use washable glue.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by leatheflea
I just bought a new Brother machine this year from a dealer. I go back to that dealer often to by thread because I get a discount on everything else in the store since I purchased a machine. Anyway while talking to the dealer a couple of weeks go she warned me harshly not to sew over the pins, alot of the new models can short out if you jam a pin in them. Now I've been sewing for years and its a habit to sew over them, thats how every sewing teacher I had taught. But with the fear of shorting out my machine, in the last few weeks I've been taking the pins out just as I get to them. Not a hard habit to break when you talk about hundreds of dollars to fix. Warranty doesn't cover it if they find a pin jammed in there somewhere. Sometimes I think all these bells and whistles arent worth the hassle.
Bernina dealer said the same thing and so I never sew over them except if one is there I don't know about.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:34 PM

I strip piece most everything and don't pin much at all....but when I do, I am careful to not sew on one.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:54 PM

I sew over the pins and very rarely hit a pin. I hope that my glasses work as eye protection because I'm not changing anytime soon.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:35 PM

I use quite a lot of pins but pull them out before they go under the presser foot.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:19 PM

I am old enough to remember that - the first machine I bought they made a big deal out of being able to sew over the pins! When I bought my first computerized machine they warned me not to, so I try not to. I liked it better when you could sew over the pins. Never broke a needle, though - I'm sure that would have changed my mind!
Old 08-26-2011, 04:05 PM

I remember when they said we could sew over pins. But then they said do not. So I don't anymore. I pin, but I take the pin out as I go. I think I am more careful these days. Don't need anymore accidents as I age.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:49 PM

I really try not to don't want to do anything to my machine.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Grace MooreLinker
and how is Tulsa weather today? I'm from McAlester, years ago :lol: was back there in may2010
The weather is finally cooling down a little. Still have some days in triple digits but at least not in the teens! Last night I was outside and actually felt a *nip* of fall in the air (or maybe it was just wishful thinking!) We are still in a drought but not as badly as it was a couple weeks ago.

McAlester area has really seen alot of heat this year, even worse than Tulsa. You are lucky you weren't here! If you ever get back this way, I'd love to meet you.