Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Are You Older Than Dirt?

Blog Entries
    Poodle skirts with 3 or 4 stiff crinoline slips under it, black and white saddle shoes, new combination locks at the start of the school year?

My mother was born in 1906 and would tell us about the time before airports and traffic signals. I would love to see a "Remember When" from that era.

I read a "Remember When" from the 80's and couldn't understand why it was classified as nostalgia!

Familiar with every dang one.
    Yooper32 aka: Donna B

Thanks for the fun trip down Memory Lane: older than dirt here!

I am sorry to say i remember them all. Actually I am not sorry. Those were the innocent carefree days,.

Yep! Older than dirt. We still have piles of 78 records, lots of cassette tapes, OLD kitchen stuff, OLD handmade linens and quilts, etc. etc. etc!

I am proud to say I am older than dirt. I remember them all. We played outside till dark and when Momma called we went in with no arguments. We slept well because we were actually tired when bedtime came around.
    We had everything we needed at home. Meals were put on the table and we ate together as a family. I never owned a pair of pants till I was around 25. In our area ladies never wore pants. Now I never wear dresses. lol Times have definitely changed. Some for the better and some worse.

Yep, I'm older then dirt. Amazing how the world has changed.

Yeah, I reckon I am older than dirt too. Someone wanted to know what Blackjack Gum tasted like ? Well, I can't use the words here to describe it !

Defiently older than dirt, remember all, most of our food came out of jars MOTHER had canned and kept in the cellar. Meat from the hogs daddy raised and killed. Even canned the meat.

yep! dirt is getting younger every day!! Wish I had one of those wringers, they would do very well with the dyes and you could use it for paper or fabric

Blog Entries
    Yeap, that's me, older then dirt! I remember all but four.
    Good Better Best, never let it rest till the good is better and the better best

I am older than dirt. Remembered all but one. I not only have all my old 45 but I also have all my Moms 78. Have nothing to play them on but I still have them. Too many nice memories to get rid of them.

Blog Entries
    Oh yes! I remember everything on your post! Thanks for the fun!
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

I'm older than dirt and proud of it!!
    Grandmeto6 aka Judy

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Fast food in our house was if we got up late for school, we were handed peanut butter or butter on a slice of bread and it was folded as we ran out the door. my brother dropped his in the dirt couple of times and just tore that part off or flicked the dirt off and kept on going.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
    Fast food in our house was if we got up late for school, we were handed peanut butter or butter on a slice of bread and it was folded as we ran out the door. my brother dropped his in the dirt couple of times and just tore that part off or flicked the dirt off and kept on going.
    and that little bit of dirt didn't kill us, did it?
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Quote Originally Posted by earthwalker View Post
    One under "older than dirt"........the only thing contemporary about this woman is the fact when I look in the mirror in the morning "Yoda" looks back.

Oh, that's who that is living in my mirror...

Rember curling irons that were heated on the gas cooking stove.....if too hot;hair singed!

Older than dirt here, bought 45's and life was so good back then when I look at the mess we have today. Of course there are good things about today too, but those were good times.

I just turned 69 and remember all of the things on that list. Life was so much simpler then. My Grandkids can't believe all the different things we did not have. Ages 11 -27.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Yup, older than dirt!!!! But what fond memories they are. I even remember playing outside until the streetlights came on. And OH BOY you better make a run for it or you'll be in trouble. Anybody remember kick-the-can?

Yep! I am one of the older than dirt people too. I remember every one of them. Also kick-the-can, five & dime store (my favorite place as a kid), Sen Sen breath refreshments, stomping on bottle caps to make our shoes tap shoes. Oh how I miss those days. I still have 45 & 78 records & a player for them plus 8-tracks & a player for them. When one of my G-sons' was about 8 (now 25) was in my sewing room learning to sew, he was talking about his music. I ask him if he wanted to hear some of the music I listened to as a kid. I pulled out my old 45's & he said "WOW G-ma, I've never seen CD's that big before." What a chuckle I got & of course, I had to pull out the 78's too. Our oldest DD says we are still in the Flintstones era. LOL

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    but do you remember Rolls Canardly's?
    Yup, rode in them most of my childhood. There were seven of us kids. (For those of you who have no clue, a "Rolls Canardly" is an automobile that rolls down one hill, and can hardly get up the next!)

None of you mentioned my favorite TV show "The Red Skelton Show".
    Last edited by madamekelly; 06-09-2014 at 01:31 PM.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

I am not only older than dirt but the 6th graders that I teach think that I was extremely poor as well.....because I didn't have a TV in my bedroom until about 8th grade. And all three TV's in the house at that point were black and white. Oh-----what is Butch Wax? For mustaches, perhaps? It's the only one I didn't recognize on the list....

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA! Being old has its advantages!!!!!
    Mistakes are just opportunities to invent a new quilting technique!

Quote Originally Posted by cizzors View Post
    Since when is 51 older then dirt?!
    I'm 51 also and that list made perfect sense to me....but I am a city girl raised by a small town mom and a country dad. I think that helped on the list.
    Mistakes are just opportunities to invent a new quilting technique!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast