Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Are you stocking up on staples? >

Are you stocking up on staples?

Are you stocking up on staples?

Old 05-19-2011, 05:35 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Originally Posted by QBeth
I need more caffeine this morning, or something. Can someone explain the "I use paper clips..." comment to me, please? I'm afraid I'm having a "duh" moment. :-)
the thread asked " are you stocking up on STAPLES "
the comment was made on " I use 'paper clips'.. ' - referring to staples as office products.. get it.. it was a humor intended comment..
Old 05-19-2011, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
I need more caffeine this morning, or something. Can someone explain the "I use paper clips..." comment to me, please? I'm afraid I'm having a "duh" moment. :-)
the comment was made on " I use 'paper clips'.. ' - referring to staples as office products.. get it.. it was a humor intended comment..
I must say, that the metal staples came to mind when I first read this, as well. I wonder where you keep your freezers etc. when you fill them with staples. It has been my experience with all the flooding that we have, that the electricity is the first to go - so you need a back - up generator and then everything gets washed away or inundated with mud when the flooding occurs - so it is all ruined anyway, So, no point in stocking up - best to just get out of there and save life.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:22 AM

Here in Hawaii, I stock up twice a year and rotate the canned goods in preparation for Hurricane Season. Always a store of assorted batteries for flashlights, tabletop stove gas cannisters, propane tanks for the outdoor grill, charcoal (in case the length of power outage would be weeks long). We've had a few Hurricanes in the past that caused rolling blackouts for the State, tsunami alerts, earthquakes that rocked the island for a half day worth of power outages, etc. So it's always a very good idea to keep things stocked for these unexpected turn of events.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:32 AM
Power Poster

my dh won't let me go food shopping, he does it, i'll OVERBUY, i'm just stocking up on water, all i can afford to buy right now, (i filter my own)
Old 05-19-2011, 07:45 AM

Enjoy reading all the comments!I am wondering if there will be any food if the sun doesn't hurry up and SHINE!I need to go out and plant more of my garden,but it's drizzling again today.We usually keep stocked up on meat and fruits and veggies that I can or freeze.Amazing how much I still buy at the grocery.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by jillnjo
.We usually keep stocked up on meat and fruits and veggies that I can or freeze.Amazing how much I still buy at the grocery.
Me too.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
Yup, a "DUH!" moment on my part! Egads. Where's my caffeine?? :shock:
Old 05-19-2011, 07:46 PM

We stock up on all supplies that are not perishable. We rotate our "inventory". I seem to use that idea with fabrics also.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:01 PM

Be careful with grain products. (flour, cornmeal, cereal, noodles) I bought some raisins from the local drug store and they had weevils in the box. Dumped it into the garbage can. Must have been some adults in it as now I have little silver moths and have to keep all grain products in airtight containers and freezer to keep the little buggers out. Drug store said they got them from the distribution warehouse and there was nothing they could do but refund the $2 for the raisins. Evidently the bugs were free!
Old 05-19-2011, 08:34 PM

I have a year supply of food for four people.

Inflation is real. Haven't you noticed less product to pick from?? I wish I had some of the fabric you all have stashed.

dj