Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Are you stocking up on staples? >

Are you stocking up on staples?

Are you stocking up on staples?

Old 05-18-2011, 02:34 PM

I always have a tendency to over buy... especially if it is on sale. We have 5 in our house, so everything will always get used sooner or later.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:35 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

I hate to can but I do it every year.. Hubby likes his garden and I love my own tomato sauce. I just hate the work it entails, We have an orchard on the property and I feel guilty letting it go to waste so I can jams & jellies and freeze fruits for pies, tarts & cobblers..

Ive learned to have canning parties where I supply the fruits and they bring all the supplies.. Then its not so bad to can..

We have 3 freezers ( not counting the fridge/freezer combos either) - one is a back up ( we learned the hard way why we should have it) Then theres the one that has all the normal every day type stuff.. Pizza, veggies, ice cream and the like.. the other one holds meat: deer, elk, wild turkey, pork and beef.. hubby is a hunter so he hunted the Elk, turkeys, and deer meat.. as for the pork and beef we usually buy half of each from the guy who processes hubby's latest kill.. Hubby is a meat and potatoes kind of a guy.. No vegetarian bone in his body.. So I guess we just normally stock up.. We are pretty out in the country so the less I have to run 35+ plus miles to the nearest grocer the better.. Ive learned to buy in bulk form sams and costco just so I dont have to run out again..
Old 05-18-2011, 02:44 PM

duh I was thinking why would I stock up on staples is the price going to sky rocket
Old 05-18-2011, 06:00 PM

Better stock up on incandescent light bulbs. They are going to stop making them in December!!!! You have to buy the "curly" bulbs which give me a headache. The new "LED" bulb in 100w is going to cost $50...I can just see me putting them in all my light fixtures!! Suppose to last years though but I learned that the 2,3 and 7 year bulbs don't even last 6 months!! Oh, and you are suppose to call the "hazmet" people when one of your "curly" bulbs burns out. :( :( :(
Old 05-18-2011, 08:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by OHSue
I use paper clips.... ;)
drats, i was going to say that...ehhehehe
Old 05-19-2011, 03:31 AM

I need more caffeine this morning, or something. Can someone explain the "I use paper clips..." comment to me, please? I'm afraid I'm having a "duh" moment. :-)
Old 05-19-2011, 03:31 AM
Swap Hosts

I am always stocking up. I know it's weird, but if there is an inch of space in my cupboards, I start getting nervous. We live in a tiny cottage and there isn't a lot of room, but my DH built shelves in the little pantry area -- which also has the frig and freezer. Shelves are over the doorway, tiny ones on a wall that has just a few inches of room so a door to the boiler can open. In my sewing room there are floor to ceiling shelves on two walls. One area is all dry goods. In the garage, which isn't heated, I have plastic tubs full of sugar (buy in 50 lb bags at restaurant supply), kosher salt for pickling, dehydrated fruits and veggies, pasta. I buy coffee by the case at restaurant supply, and anything else that looks good at a good price. Lots of kitchen bouquet! I figure if things ever get really bad and we have to start eating the squirrels, Kitchen Bouquet will make anything palatable!
Old 05-19-2011, 04:06 AM

Have been for a long time. We only buy what we eat and simply rotate the supply on a regular basis. If you have little room to buy, try setting aside just $5 a week to buy some staples to stock your shelves. You can get ideas from the Survival Mom website. http://thesurvivalmom.com/

Just like we prepare to make our quilts and other projects, it is important to get basic staples stocked including medical supplies.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by bobbie1
We are stocking up but not because of flooding. Anything we use and if it is on sale, we buy. Have can goods, 2 freezers full and of course, paper products. I was raised a country girl and my parents always stocked up. Granted...they canned fruit and vegs and slaughter beef and pigs. Habits are hard to break though. But...never know what tomorrow brings. And yes, I am continuously rotating as I use it. I am not able to work a garden so my neighbor and I have worked out a plan..my husband plowed her garden up..she and him planted...she will work it and pick beans, etc. I will string the beans..she will can them..I bought the lids and rings...works for us. Have a great neighbor.
Ditto!
Old 05-19-2011, 05:26 AM

Oh, on stringing green beans what's the best way? Obviously, I did it wrong last year as we were picking the strings on our plates! LOL Help please!