Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Accent..........

Blog Entries
    Well, that was spot on!!! Boston all the way! My address says Arizona (and I swear there is no AZ accent!) but after 50+ years in Boston and New England I just can't help myself.....
    Create with joy in your heart!

I am from the south, and proud of it lol Born and raised in TN all my life.
    Sabrina
    Mommy to a 6 year old little girl, 3 dogs, 5 cats, and 2 fish. lol Life keeps me busy but when I have a moment, I love to sew
    http://ataleofamilitaryfamily.blogspot.com/
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/HugsLove

Mine stated Inland North something about getting away from the Great Lakes Well it was way wrong I live in Northern New York about 200 feet from the Great Lake Ontario all of my entire life.

Mine was right on. South East Texas to the core.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ditter43 View Post
    Your accent is a giveaway to where you're from. Take this quiz. It will tell you! It's a fun site, too!!
    http://www.lewrockwell.com/spl3/amer...cent-quiz.html
    Inland North - NOT even - I'm South West!!! LOL

It said mine was Inland North and it is so wrong. I have lived in Florida since before I turned 2 years old. I was born in Ohio but I never lived there very long. Have only been back to visit it one time in my life.

Blog Entries
    It was right on - I grew up in CA, and it said 'The West which most people agree isn't really an accent.' I guess you'll have to tell that to my cousins. When I visited relatives in the Dakotas years ago, one of my young cousins said, " Say something else, Joanne. I just LOVE your accent.' Okay, maybe I didn't have an accent, maybe it was because I didn't have HER accent. They really do talk like that, you know - the movie 'Fargo', I mean. Now don't all of you Dakotans start dumping on me. You know it's true!

I tested as "Midland", too. I was born in Germany, raised in Kansas by a German mother and a father from Nebraska. I have lived most of my adult life in Southeast Texas. Of course I don't have an accent!

One time a friend from my hometown (Leavenworth) came to see me after many years, and she claimed I had developed a Southern drawl. I'm sure all the native Texans around me would have laughed at that. However, when I go back to Kansas now I do notice a few words that sound a little wrong to me. Can't quite pinpoint what's different.

The most interesting thing I've read on the subject of regional dialects in this country was a statement that at the time of the Civil War, there was no southern accent, or it was, at least, very different from what developed by the time we arrived. I wish I could remember where I read that. I would like to see some documentation. Surely speech couldn't evolve that drastically is such a short time. On the other hand, I think the whole country now sounds more like Southern California than it did when I was a kid, just because of the influence of TV and movies.
    Last edited by Rose_P; 04-29-2012 at 09:58 PM.

Blog Entries
    right on the money! i have lived in ALL those places! actually, i'm a bit of a vocal chameleon. i quickly and unconsciously pick up the accent of the person i'm conversing with. we moved around a lot all my life so it's no wonder i have a hodge-podge accent. btw--midland
    The only bad days are the ones you don't get.

Blog Entries
    How funny! Mine said Great Lakes area. Is that Michigan??????lol

Well, I've been to NYC and I know I don't sound like that! LOL It was fun to do-many thanks.

Blog Entries
    funny, it didn't ask if folding money was pronounced "Key-ash" like my husband tells me I say. But I definitely have a BAWSTON accent.

Blog Entries
    Me too. But if people heard me speak they could tell I am not American ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Panchita View Post
    "The Northeast - Judging by how you talk you are probably from north Jersey, New York City, Connecticut or Rhode Island. Chances are, if you are from New York City (and not those other places) people would probably be able to tell if they actually heard you speak."

Apparently.

Blog Entries
    Mine says I'm a Midland. Live in Kansas - can't get much more midland than that!!!

This test is so inaccurate its not even funny. It said I have a Midland accent which is none yet I have a very heavy Cajun/French accent. When I open my mouth folks think I am a foreigner visiting this country even though I was born in this country.
    cparant

yep i`m a southern girl through and through

Mine said Midland - I was born and raised in Kentucky.
    Pam Riggs

Us Great Lakers sound flat, or so I have been told. On the other hand, at least there isn't anything much to laugh at except pop for soda...

Anita in Northfield, MN

Mine came out "Inland North". That's right because I now live in Kentucky and, just like the test says, people here always ask me "Are you from Wisconsin?" Actually, I'm from Michigan but folks it's been 25 years!

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Bird View Post
    Mine came up with "Inland North" - where the heck is that?

Mine also came up like this; I was born and raisied in the northwestern suburbs of Chicago. When I went to college in the middle of the state of Illinois, many people thought I was from southern Illinois!
    I can tell that my accent has changed, but that is the influence of having lived in Poland for 14 years and then in China for 10.

KLO
    Blog Entries
    Well, I zipped through this test so that I would not think about the answers too long. Says I am from Philadelphia or someplace near there. Yep, I was born and raised in Southern NJ. However, I have lived in north central NC since 1991 but obviously my accent was formed before then. Nice to know that I haven't lost that accent. My southern neighbor kids me about the way I say the words "on", "off", "water", "yo" instead or "hey" and a few others. We can always tell when a couple on HGTV who are trying to buy a house are from the Philly area. Makes me very nostalgic. This was fun! Thanks.

PS: I think if you have moved around a lot then you may pick up some idiosyncrasies from the different areas and that may skew your answers some. Also education can change things some, don't you think? Oh and around here I like to tell people I am originally from the south. Then after they give me that "you must be kidding" look because of the way I talk, I tell them South Jersey.
    Last edited by KLO; 04-30-2012 at 11:46 AM.

Mine was Inland North & is spot on. Born & raised about 75miles southwest of Chicago & the Great Lakes area.

Quote Originally Posted by margee View Post
    Mine was Inland North & is spot on. Born & raised about 75miles southwest of Chicago & the Great Lakes area.
    Oh, also, Soda has always been known as POP to me.

Right on, as Philadelphia as a cheese steak was the comment. And to think I have lived in Norway for most of my life.
    The quilt you see, is a part of me.
    In your hand is the sum of my parts
    My mind, my body and a piece of my heart.
    Wrap in it, lay on it, cry, and dream.
    It's made to help you know what love means.

Blog Entries
    Mine came up Western and being I am from Calif it fits.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast