Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Doing first quilt!  Live in SLC, Utah... Need your advice on quilting frames!  :) >

Doing first quilt! Live in SLC, Utah... Need your advice on quilting frames! :)

Doing first quilt! Live in SLC, Utah... Need your advice on quilting frames! :)

Old 02-16-2009, 08:20 PM

Welcome from Washington state. You will love this site!
Old 02-16-2009, 08:26 PM

Welcome from Southern California!! Don't hand quilt so I don't use a frame, so, can't help you there but glad you joined us!!!
Old 02-16-2009, 08:53 PM

Welcome from St. Louis! I actually started quilting baby quilts with the hand held Q-Snap frames. I bought both small square ones and changed the pieces around to make two rectangular frames that are very portable. Can take with me to quilt while waiting at Dr.s appts and such.
Still like to use them at home because I can sit in my recliner and quilt. Really easy on my back! :lol:
Old 02-16-2009, 09:07 PM

Hello, and congratulations on both your baby and quilt! I have two little boys, and they are so much fun.

Good for you making your first quilt! And hand quilting it to boot! I sometimes hand quilt mine, and I don't use a frame. I just hold it in my lap like a prev. poster. (It keeps me warm that way, too. LOL!) I have never tried a floor hoop, so I can't really tell you one way or the other is better.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:18 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Hi and welcome from France!

I hand quilt and have a floor standing wooden hoop frame as well as one of those snappy plastic jobs; handy for travelling or taking to quilt group because it goes small. I love the floor frame because it has thin feet which slot under the sofa so I can pull it right over my lap; it's not an expensive one and not very good quality but now I now it works for me, one day I'll upgrade to a better one in the same style.

K x
Old 02-19-2009, 04:22 AM

Hi and welcome from Newfoundland Canada.

My opinion on the majority of quilting frames is that everyone getting into quilting buys one, gets frustrated with it and it goes and lives in a dark corner of your house while you fume about spending the money, have doubts about whether or not you're meant to be a quilter and eventually come to terms with it and move on.

For a baby quilt I would pin pin pin the sucker with safety pins and then quilt on my lap. (or spray baste and then wash it when its done to get rid of the basting spray) I've quilted queen sized quilts by hand this way. Here's a pic of it:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/30/3996.page
SO it can be done!
Old 02-19-2009, 06:18 AM
Banned

welcome from Washington :D
Old 02-21-2009, 10:15 AM

If you are just planning to make baby quilts and small projects to start with, JoAnn's sells the small snap frames for much less and you can use your 40% off coupon if they are not already on sale. If you are not signed up to get their flyer which comes out every 2 weeks, stop by their store one day and sign up or do it on line. The one that probably would be handy especially if you have that baby bump in front of you is probably about 8" X 12" when put together and would work nicely I think.
If I lived closer, I would let you use some of my frames, I have several different kinds all the way up to the Grace EZ3 frame.
Anyway, welcome from Sunny Southern California.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:37 AM

Since I've just started I'm not sure all the great places to go... I have been to Wal-Mart and while their fabric is cheap, they don't have a good variety.

I got the fabric for my baby quilt from Joanns in Murray (off 5400 S and Redwood). They have a great collection and it was okay priced. It cost $3.99 a yard.

Good luck and let me know if you find a better place for fab!
Old 02-21-2009, 10:51 AM

If you don't want to travel anywhere and want some really nice fabrics at great prices, try www.thousandsofbolts.com. They are really reasonable and heve great fabrics. They have good shipping rates and are fast. I have used them for a few years and buy most of my quilting fabrics through them because I do not have a LQS nearby anymore. Economy has closed all the close ones.