Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Hello from California-New to Quilting-A question? >

Hello from California-New to Quilting-A question?

Hello from California-New to Quilting-A question?

Old 07-24-2007, 08:07 PM

HI Joan, the last few baby quilts I've made have a poly jacquard fleece backing & a poly batt with a cotton top. I know there are alot of mixed feelings on the different types of fabrics being used BUT....I feel comfortable with the ones I have chosen for the babes I have gifted them to. For many years I made cotton tops, poly batts, and cotton flannelette backings as per the instructions for our guild on preemie quilts....to be honest, if you were to consider the horrific happening of a fire where a little one was involved, I doubt that 100% cotton or poly/cotton quilts or clothing would make a difference in their survival....this is just my opinion....and I hope it doesn't offend you, and we each need to do what feels right in our own heart at the moment.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:39 PM

Sounds like you will have plenty of help for the gr--baby. I'm in Wyoming and just want to know what part of Ca. are you from? I was raised in Susanville, (Lasen Cnty).
Old 07-25-2007, 04:03 PM

I live in Tulare, California which is just south of Fresno in the middle of California. (although we will be moving to the mountains near Jackson in about a year) All the comments about backing have been appreciated. I decided on a blue and white striped flannel fabric whcih I think will work well.
Someone should have told me what making this baby quilt would do to me, though...... :shock: I am haunting this site and others and fingering and buying fabric like mad for various future projects. The "new" ideas to quilting (since my last baby quilt 30 years ago) have made this activity so enjoyable for me. Being able to cut straight and use "strip" construction is great! I have been continually impressed by the pictures of quilts on this site and the level of difficulty that has been successfully achieved. I certainly have alot to learn!!!!!
Old 07-26-2007, 04:44 AM

I agree. this board should have a warning lable attached to it stating that this hobby can be addictive, read postings at your own risk :lol:
Old 07-27-2007, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by vicki reno
I agree. this board should have a warning lable attached to it stating that this hobby can be addictive, read postings at your own risk :lol:
Yes, it can get to the point that you have to read some most everyday just so you won't get behind on what is going on. It even can cut into actual quilting time if one isn't careful, yeah right! :roll:
Old 01-11-2009, 03:20 PM

Hi Joan:
I've used cotton, flannel, fleece and Minky...Minky is so soft and cuddly but is hard to work with and quite expensive. I think I love flannel the best but like Sandra Jennings said, there are no quilt Police here...do what feels good to you and baby will love your decision.