Hello

Old 12-07-2006, 06:24 AM

I am new to chat rooms and message boards. Have been quilting and sewing sence I was a child. I am always looking for new ideas for gifts and small crafts. I am not long on patience. No one in my family sews or quilts but me, however they all love what I do. I have one grandaughter and she is some what interested but lives at what has become a treck form my house and I do not see her enough. The boys are not interested or too young for this work. I am a nurse and until recently worked full time. now am looking for some other $ making endevor. I am on and off line throught the day , would like to make new friends.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:20 PM

HI QUILTNURSE! Glad to meet you. I am Nancy, a baker/ bakery/mangr. I love my job, am always very busy. Have two sons married, with 3 grandbabies. Started quilting in Jan. '06 when my youngest son was deployed to Afghanistan......a stress reducer :roll: Yeah right! hope to chat w/ you sometime........we working gals need to meet new friends! Blessings......Nancy
Old 12-08-2006, 05:30 AM

Hi Nancy.I can get lost and never leave my sewing room so I know what a stress releaver it is. I am not a perfectionest so I make the peices fit and then worry about squaring them later.
As a bakery mgt you must work nites, I had a job in a family backery when I was a kid and I rember the nites they spent in the kitchen, worse than a resterant.
What kinds of quilts do you like to make? and do you quilt by hand? I use a mechine all the time. I think that if those pioneer woman had had a machine no hand quilt would have ever been made. Time was of the essence for them too. but then you do not need good lite to do hand work in seems, I worked in a nursing home and a bilnd woman made quuilts for her whole family never saw a thing. they were scrappy, her daughter cut them and then she sewed them together. I was so impressed.
look forward to hearing from you soon. Daphne Quiltnurse
Old 12-08-2006, 11:36 AM

HI ....glad to hear form you! I am a funny person, I get up @ 3:00AM and start work @ 4. Makes for a short evening! :lol: Seems like there is NEVER enough time in my day. I work until 12:00.....a straight 8. It is especially nice in the summer, (here in WI) as I garden also. SOOOOo, when do I breath? I don't! :P I am very busy, my house usually is suffering.......then of course, 2x a year I have to make a trip to Maine to see my grandkiddies!.......THE BEST PART OF LIFE!!
I have a son who is an RN, his wife is also, then a "daughter" who is a physical therapist, (my son there is the one who is serving in Afghanistan now)......so allot to think about.

I quilt whatever. I took a class in Jan., it was a 9 patch quilt...I made it for granddaughter #1. Then I made another quilt for "expected" grand-daughter #2.......from there I went to allot of tablerunners.....all turned out well. Also made a quilt for my son in Afghanistan...patriotic one.was beautiful!! I do all my quilting, thus far, by machine........piece work, bought a Janome 6600 when I started this.....the reason being, I had cancer in my left hand 13 years ago, so am semi unable to do some of the sewing. The machine is very user friendly! (good excuse, huh?) So, I haven't ventured out into allot of "fine-work" as I don't know if I could do it. Maybe that will be next!

Good to hear from you....Blessings! Nancy
Old 12-09-2006, 06:38 AM

Hi I am surprised to hear from you so quickly.
I have a Baby Lock ellegante, compairable to the 6000.I did all the hand work , emb, needlework crew, any thing except knit or crochet, now I just use the machine.I think I said I did not do any home made gifts this year, just no insperation. 2 years ago I made tree skirts and last year they all got placemats and napkins. but htis year I just am not inspired. I am not working beccause of a back injury and have plenty of time and I could start my own store with my "stash", but nope nothing.I finishe a top for myself just befor holleen and maby that is why. I also have a wall hanging on the cutting table right now, but for myself. I had everyone decorate a tree on an 8" block and I am joining them. then I will hang it and that is my tree for this year. I am alone and the "grands "would help put it up but then I have to put it away and that is way more trouble.Alsoo my shouse is small and this keeps the floor space open. there will be 11-12 of us for the hoiday.Have you had snow yet? It is in the 40-50 here today I know a heat wave to you, but with 70-80%humidity is is damp and dank as my mother used to say. and because it comes and goes so fast it is hard to get used to it. it will be back up in the 70's by Tuesday.But I would love a white Christmas as long as I could look at it out the window and not have kids to snowsuit for it.LOL. I live in Alaska one year and what an adventure that was. No I did not sew while I was there. I was a travle nurse and worked and travled the entire 18 weeks. I have always wanted to go back, but have not been able to . wow, I have rattled on . will let you go for now have a great weekend. DAPHNE
Old 12-10-2006, 02:39 PM

HI again...... Tree skirts?? Now that's good, we have had a FEW girls in our class looking for good skirt patterns........have yet to find one. Do yoiu have any that you could share? Maybe not for this year (still), but maybe for next year!
Did I say to you that we are re-modeling out kitchen? My house is the biggest mess you have ever seen! I do not have company, but we, as a family, go to my mothers'. She is 92 and is VERY BAD right now. She lives in her own apt., (and SHOULD NOT!!) I think she has taken up squatters rights there :( I don't even know if she will still be here for the wonderful Christmas holiday! As much as I love her, I pray that she will be able to go home some day w/o suffering! She is now in allot of pain...in her back..and REFUSES to go to a doc!
No, we have had a couple dustings of snow.....but nothing! today, i went for a 2 mile walk with just a sweater and vest on....about 45 degrees! A lovely day, indeed! Christmas will be here in short time, and working each day at the bakery makes it nuts!!

I will connect w/you again soon. As I need to check on my carpenters! Yes, my home is very small, too. I have my sewing machine sert in my LR........at one end. I keep it very neat.....it's the only psace I have, so I kniow what you mean! Have a blessed Sunday eve! Nancy
Old 12-11-2006, 09:21 AM

Hi I have a house that did not have floors when I bought it, the termites ahd eaten much of it. I owned the place 6 months befor I could move in and then every thing was not done. I have a sewing room, but the cutting table migrated to the dinning room. I eat in front of the tv anyway. So I know about small and devided spaces.
I have 2 skirt patterns both out of old books, one is a star made in strips and the other is harts that are crazy patched and then joined to form a star in the center. I could mail you copies of the directions but have no idea how to do it elecrtonicly. The strip is from a 60's craft book I bought ofr a $1 at a yard sale. I have used it for more things cute pillow and place mat patterns and just good ideas.
I have a 9patch on the table right now I started at a class and hope to finish the top for a grandson, not an x mas gift just the "baby" quilt he never got. I love the old patterns but do not like all those small peices, I get overwhellmed when I have yards of 2 inch peices. So I do mostly contempary stuff that is not so slow to accomplish.
a girl friend is on her way and I need to pick up befor she gets here. Talk soon DAphne