Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Hello from Texas >

Hello from Texas

Hello from Texas

Old 06-09-2007, 09:11 AM

welcome pam, i'm all so from TEXAS .this is a great group to be a part of .you've got some of the sweetest ladies here .their full of info. and answers . tia sarah
Old 06-09-2007, 06:15 PM

Hi Sandra. I understand that Oregon is a great place for a person who likes green. It's also good if they do not get depressed from lack of sunshine. I have a good friend who now lives in Corvalis, Oregon. We worked together in San Antonio for several years before she moved to Oregon to be near her children and grandchildren. The remark about the lack of sunshine in the winter is from Dorothy. I can't verify it, as I've never been there. I'd like to go visit in the summer when it is dry and 102 degrees in Texas. Betty
Old 06-21-2007, 02:07 PM

Betty, I'm in San Antonio. Going to retire soon. Interested in possibly getting a quilting group together? Or does one already exist that I haven't uncovered?
Old 06-21-2007, 06:37 PM

Nina, I'm quite sure there must be many quilting groups in a city the size of San Antonio. In what part of the city are you? I don't actually live in San Antonio. I usually say that I live in San Antonio, because when I say that I live in Schertz, people look at me funny and say "Where?" Sometimes they even say "WHAT's that?"

I'm not personally aware of any quilting groups, but I can ask one of my neighbors, who belongs to a couple of sewing guilds. Besides that neighbor, I know of two more who live in close proximity to me who quilt. I know that the one directly across the street does not belong to a quilting group and doubt that she would be interested, although I can ask. Your best chance of finding a quilting group might be through my back door neighbor. I know that she has taken several classes, and her quilts, unlike mine, are both beautiful and perfect.

Betty Ruth

Old 06-22-2007, 01:13 PM

Nina, this afternoon, I was able to talk with my neighbor who belongs to a sewing guild. I told her about your inquiry. She said that there is a quilting guild somewhere in San Antonio, but she did not know how to contact them. She also told me about a local group that a friend of hers belond to for a sh ort time. Mary Anne said that they were a very exclusive group. New members have to audition to determine if their quilting skills measure up to the guild's requirement. Her friend got into the group, but the weekly meetings took more time than she had to spare. Mary Anne suggested that you should check the bulletin board at the Live Oak Civic Center quilt show next January or February.

I have not seen my back door neighbor to ask her about a quilting group.

Personally, I'm interested in all phases pf quilt making but doubt that my skills would be sufficient for membership. I'm 72 years old and have MS, which has affected my right hand. I do still make simple utility quilts that can be completed on the sewing machine. I have always loved quilts and would be interested in being a part of a nearby group that would accept my limitations. Since I am already committed to church and MS groups, the time I'd have for a quilting group would be limited.

Betty Ruth
Old 06-22-2007, 01:59 PM

Betty Ruth, You should come visit! A lot of people here seem to be upset about the rain, Me? If you want green you have to have wet. I find where I live....as I drive down into Portland there are wonderful waterfalls that come out in late fall to be frozen in place come winter. Beautiful as I see it. One of my fondest memories is of my uncles singing the Ricky Nelson song Listen to the Rhythm of the Falling Rain. Always loved the sound. :mrgreen:
Old 06-22-2007, 06:13 PM

Sandra, we are getting a taste of wet right here in south central Texas. It has come down in buckets each day for a week. It was supposed to be dry over the weekend, but that forcast has now been changed. Some are complaining, but I'm not. We';ll have peaches this year. The farmers and ranchers will have hay for their livestock, and there should be no water rationing. Most of the cities get their water from an aquifer. Even the farmers irrigate their crops with water drawn from the aquifer. No rain means no water added to the aquifer while demand for water increases. I, too, love the sound of rain. What I don't like is flooding. We've experienced flooding twice in the nearly 45 years we've lived in this area. We moved to higher ground after the 2nd flood. No water has gotten into the house where we now live, but it has been close. One year, another inch would have put it in the house. Most years it is either feast or famine as far as water is considered.

Thanks for the invitation to visit your part of the country. I'd love to but doubt that I'll ever make it. We just got rid of our motor home because it hadn't been used in 3 years. It just sat in the driveway and depreciated.

The frozen waterfalls sound absolutely beautiful. Wish I could see them.

Betty Ruth
Old 06-22-2007, 06:51 PM

Will try to catch a few shots this year for you. Will have to wait till late fall when the rains begin, but it will be worth it. They are truly amazing little treats. And as for the rush of rain ......I only shook the rain stick a little the other day...meant it for here. :oops:
Old 06-23-2007, 06:54 PM

Sandra, rain stick or rain rock, whatever........something actually kept the rain away for this one day. This was a big relief, as it was my turn to host the monthly meeting of the Stitchin' Bee. This is an informal gathering of ladies of the church who meet to sew, socialize, and eat. I sometimes think the last is most important. I know it is for the husband of one of the ladies. She has said that he asks her to have the ladies meet there so that he can sample all the goodies they bring.

I'll be looking forward tp seeing pictures of those frozen waterfalls. I'm sure they are just as pretty when not frozen.

Betty Ruth
Old 06-24-2007, 08:15 PM

Shertz is only about 5 miles from me. I'm in Windcrest - and most folks don't realize it is a city of its own surrounded by San Antonio. I'll keep you posted on any groups that I find. Thanks.