Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
I’m new here! >

I’m new here!

I’m new here!

Old 03-27-2021, 05:56 AM
Power Poster

Lalla, after viewing your latest pictures, I think we are in your very talented company! You capitalize on the all the design elements and art principles in every piece. Thanks so much for sharing.
Old 03-27-2021, 10:18 PM

Well, I’ve just looked at your albums, oksewglad, and I am definitely in excellent company here; you say your colours wouldn’t necessarily go with other people’s schemes - could be because your work and your sense of colour is so original and interesting? You are right that we all seek the approval of others but at the same time we have to create our own path, don’t we - it’s a fine line, of needing to know that people think we do good work, and not getting upset when they don’t think any such thing - everyone has their own sense of colour, form, taste generally, interests- I’m happy to say I’ve long got to grips with not being able to please all of the people all of the time...or any of the people some of the time! Your comments mean a lot to me, thank you so much. And looking at your work has so cheered me, that such lovely colour combinations and such delightful compositions can be found, and the enjoying of them enhance one’s perspective.
Old 03-29-2021, 06:21 AM
Power Poster

Oh to have cheered you on, Lalla, even though our techniques are different it is a great complement. Thank you. Your comment prompted me to go back and look at my albums, which I haven't updated in quite a while. It is always good to have pictures of earlier works. Why? Because one sees how much one has grown and improved. Most were completed almost ten years ago! I used to try to use colors/fabric styles that were the rage at the time, but grew tired of constantly needing to "upgrade". Now I mix and match to my heart's content! It is interesting to note that among my small group of quilting peers, they can usually identify what I have made before they actually know.

Last edited by oksewglad; 03-29-2021 at 06:29 AM.
Old 03-29-2021, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
Oh to have cheered you on, Lalla, even though our techniques are different it is a great complement. Thank you. Your comment prompted me to go back and look at my albums, which I haven't updated in quite a while. It is always good to have pictures of earlier works. Why? Because one sees how much one has grown and improved. Most were completed almost ten years ago! I used to try to use colors/fabric styles that were the rage at the time, but grew tired of constantly needing to "upgrade". Now I mix and match to my heart's content! It is interesting to note that among my small group of quilting peers, they can usually identify what I have made before they actually know.
You are so right about keeping pictures of earlier works; it’s nice to know one has grown and improved. And sometimes it’s nice to go back to a less ‘complicated’ era and throw off some of the striven-for perfection in favour of a more naive approach? Like listening to early Beatles songs and their simple, clear orchestration compared to later, more elaborate, longer, less...I was going to say ‘childlike’, but not exactly that, more un-influenced? There’s a lot to be said for simplicity!
Old 03-29-2021, 08:31 PM

Welcome to QB! I have the Juki 2200 QVP Mini. When I bought it I asked what the difference was between the 2200 and the 2010 and was told cosmetics and you got extra feet with the 2200. I got the 2200
Old 03-29-2021, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
Welcome to QB! I have the Juki 2200 QVP Mini. When I bought it I asked what the difference was between the 2200 and the 2010 and was told cosmetics and you got extra feet with the 2200. I got the 2200
Yes, I was told the same; and as I’d already had the ancient TL98P for a very long time, I’d already accumulated all the extra feet that come with the 2200 - which do make that machine really good value. That, and the fact that I live in Hong Kong, where the choice is more limited (not sure why since Juki is in Japan, so you wouldn’t think it would matter where else in the world you lived, and anyway HK is pretty close!) ended me up with the 2010Q. I love and adore these machines, they are exactly what I need since much of what I do is FMQ “drawing” and I only need straight stitch. These machines are superstar straight stitchers! I do hope you are happy with your 2200?
Old 03-30-2021, 04:33 AM

Hi Lalla,
Only been here a day myself, .......welcome, (shuffles along the bench to make some space).