Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Machine quilting a casserole cozy >

Machine quilting a casserole cozy

Machine quilting a casserole cozy

Old 07-30-2007, 09:13 AM

:D
I have't been here in a while. I have been reading the news letters though. I found a pattern for a casserol cozy. I worked on making this Friday while I was off work. I found the quilting part very frustrating. I had to rip twice. I read that I should not use my walking foot unless I really had to do this. I found that THIS WAS VERY VERY NECCESSARY.
My fabrics kept shifting on me without it. I ended up using the basting spray and the walking foot. The project still shifted a little. Any good ideas on how I can keep this from happening. I would like to keep the edges even all the way around. I have at least 5 more of these to make for Christmas presents this year.
chamby
Old 07-30-2007, 09:40 AM

Ripping is NO fun. I have been making quilted bags and finally thought I would try the spray adhesive. It kept the layers from slliding, and especially if you are stitching on the diagonal.

My walking foot does not have a hole for the quilting guide, so I had to use the regular foot. But the adhesive really works.

Here is what I learned: I used JoAnn 50% off coupon on the 6.2 oz can which sells for $12.99 (ouch!) Then I went to Wal-Mart and found they have a 12 oz can for $6.99. You can decide which is the bet buy! I am kicking myself already.

At the check out in JoAnn's I got tips from other quilters.....shake, shake and shake some more. The more you shake the finer the spray and the further the can will go (if spraying a quilt.) Be sure to work on smaller area and smooth out the layers quickly. I pinned my project in the middle, sprayed, smoothed, then did the other half, then flipped the pieces and repeated. No more sliding fabric. HOO-RAY! for spray adhesive.

I hope you can complete your project with no more ripping.

Then, would you share the site with the pattern you are using? Perhaps others would like to use it. And what batting did you use?

June in Cincinnati
Old 07-30-2007, 09:48 AM

I found the pattern on Nancy's notions. I am using insul-brite. Which I could not anywhere except JoAnn fabrics. I am at work now so I have no way of uploading a picture at this time. I also had one of my co-workers that suggested that use lots of pins.
chamby
Old 07-30-2007, 10:20 AM

June, I was dissapointed to see that my walking foot did not have the hole for the guide, it seems like that would be the main one to put it on! I spent about 2 hrs. drawing diagonal lines because I really need the foot. Since then I just stipple or meander and use the walking foot for bindings and such so I've never actuallu used the guide, don't know if it works or not. LOL I use the spray (WM) and a few pins, works well for me.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:48 AM

Thanks for the advise. I also was disappointed that I could not use my guide. So I just eyeballed the lines.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:05 AM

The pattern is on nancysnotions.com under home decor. The title is Wrap and go carrier. They also have another pattern style listed here also.
chamby

Old 08-06-2007, 09:23 AM

Hey I found a walking foot w/ the quilting guide on nancysnotions.com under machine accessories. Take a look. It is $24.98.
chamby