Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
New from Maine w/ a question >

New from Maine w/ a question

New from Maine w/ a question

Old 03-17-2010, 12:24 PM

Hi, and welcome from the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:25 PM

Whole Cloth Quilts is a category at our state fair (iowa).
Old 03-17-2010, 12:30 PM

You will enjoy this group. See how quickly you received help. Good luck on this project. I'm sure she will be thrilled.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by MaryStoaks
Welcome from Calif. A friend of mine once wanted a whole cloth comforter made with the same fabric as her sheets, it was a pretty pansey pattern. I layered a pair of flat sheets like hers with 2 poly battings and tied it instead of quilting. I bound it with fabric from my stash. She was thrilled, just what she wanted. It was quick and easy.
What a great idea. Make matching pillow cases and it's a quick new look for a bedroom.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:27 PM

Never would of thought of doing that ! It sounds like it would be a great project for a childs quilt as well ... a childrens theme and use different thread colors within. Thanks for the idea and Welcome from Maryland!
Old 03-17-2010, 06:44 PM

Wow! Hello and thank you all very much! Some great ideas from all over the continent! I like the idea of adding a border--I wouldn't have thought of that! I can see I'm really going to enjoy this site!
Old 03-17-2010, 06:59 PM

I have several whole cloth quilts hand quilted by my mil's church quilting group. Most whole cloth are solid material or have the look of a solid material meaning they may be like white on white but not always. The quilting design is what makes the quilt. That being said- I've also done baby whole cloth quilts with hand quilting around what ever the design is. Watch out that can sometimes be more quilting than you planned to do. I also have a green and white large print Hawaiian Hibiscus flower - whole cloth quilt that is really striking when it was just quilted around the flower design. Welcome to this site. I'm new also and really enjoy it so far.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:20 AM

At my FIL auction, I found two such quilts/comforts. They were tied, not quilted and in almost brand new condion. But I DO NOT KNOW THE HISTORY BEHIND THEM (cry, cry cry)!
Old 03-18-2010, 06:44 AM

Hi! I am in Maine also! I am in Bar Harbor. Where are you?

Originally Posted by gazelle
Hello! Just joined and like what I see! I consider myself experienced quilter and a learner :) I have a question. My 85-yr old mother saw some fabric I was using in a quilt and she mentioned that she would like a whole quilt made with that single fabric! She didn't want it cut and re-sewed in blocks, just one whole top with that fabric. I've never heard of it, but see from online searching that there might be some who have done that. Has anyone ever made a quilt from one fabric that you only sew together to get the width you need (queen)? If so, what hints can you give me, or any sites where I can read up on it and what's the best way to proceed? I'd like to surprise her with a quilt made from that pretty fabric. Thanking you in advance.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:19 AM

Welcome from another "Mainiac". You'll love the Board. Each and every person on it is so nice and helpful.