NEWbe

Old 12-22-2009, 02:14 AM

Hi,
Thanks to Amma?, I think I am posting in the right place but then again, who knows, I asked a gazillion questions. I am brand new to quilting, and haven't sewn in a long time, but now I really need to. I want to do it for my own enjoyment of course, but I'm a retired teacher, polio survivor from Wa. State and now live in LV, NV., for too many reasons to list, and though I miss WA a LOT, I do the best I can here, and I like to work with kids, who I have discovered want to learn to sew, and quilt. So I need to get started, and then pass on to them what I learn. I have found some older used machines, and I already have the students, some are special needs and find great joy in making something by themselves, and two are boys!! I have learned recently that there are men who are quilters. I didn't know that. ;-). I also was trying to upload a photo that I have seen others do, but so far am not doing that right either. Anyway, I need to know what items I need, I went into JoAnn's found them kind of expensive, or I'm too new to know better and then I got confused on cutting tools, mats, etc, and then fabric. I found some at thrift stores which helps with the kids, since they don't have the means, and I retired early due to disability and SSDI, so I'm watching it carefully, but I think that this is a good endeavor and I think it will be not only fun but fulfilling as well. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thank you and Merry Christmas to everyone.
Connie/Constance
Attached Thumbnails attachment-59276.jpe  
Old 12-22-2009, 02:28 AM

Hi and welcome from MA.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:51 AM

Welcome from Florida!
Old 12-22-2009, 04:37 AM
Banned

Welcome from Arkansas
Old 12-22-2009, 05:09 AM

Welcome Constance! You'll find lots of information on this board. There are some really nice tutorials that will help you start with the basics. At first, I started with just a Fiskars set with a rotary cutter, a cutting mat and a 6x24 ruler. If you sign up for the newsletter at Joann's and you will receive a flyer once a month or so that has a coupon for 40% off. This will help with the pricier equipment items. In fact, the flyer I just got yesterday says they are having a 40% off sale on sewing and quilting cutting tools Dec 31-Jan 3. You can find 100% cotton at your local goodwill or salvation army if you look in the men's section and pick up xxl or xxxl men's shirts. Or sometimes, you can find fabric there too. Keep an eye out for garage sales in your area too, if you are up to traveling around, you can find great buys there. Welcome to the wonderful world of quilting!! :lol:
Old 12-22-2009, 05:36 AM

Hello, and welcome from Missouri! I have cousins who have moved to LV from Wisconsin. It has been years since I have been there.
I have found really good bargains at Estate Sales as well. Someone's stash can go for next to nothing by heirs who are not interested in sewing! Good machines are available that way as well. Thrift stores are another good source. Hobby Lobby has coupons as well as Hancocks. Get to know the people at a local quilt shop so you get their flyers for sales and classes. Quilters LOVE to help other quilters!
Old 12-22-2009, 05:38 AM

Merry Christmas, and welcome to the QB Constance.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:04 AM
Banned

Hello and welcome from Washington
Old 12-23-2009, 06:11 PM

WOW you gave me a lot, THANK YOU so much. I go to the Goodwills and others a lot looking for fabric, I never thought of the extra large shirts, what an amazing idea. MERRY CHRISTMAS AND MUCH thanks for your input. I also got that JoAnn's flyer, I think today or yesterday, just haven't looked at it yet, so thank you for that info. too.
Connie
Old 12-23-2009, 06:15 PM

HI, so you may come here sometime to see your cousins and ME???? ;-) that would be way fun. I have been to Hancock's too, they seem to me anyway to have better deals? Is that true? They also seem to have more people willing to help you or explain things. I have been into JoAnn's with my walking stick and it's obvious I don't stand for long periods of time, and it seems like they ignore, I may be just being sappy, or an OLD crab, but WOW I once waited almost a half hour for someone to show up at the help desk to help me with one of their kits for punch needle work, that BTW I still haven't gotten figured out yet. DO YOU LOVE THAT??? Well, never quit is my big thing, so I'll keep trying until I get it. THANK YOU for your note. My husband is from Wisconsin. He then went to AZ, and came to NV about the same time I did in 1992. He says he couldn't do that cold again, and I couldn't do the wet again, but I mss so many things, like family and two of my three kids are still there. It is a tough trade off, but you do whatever you have to do.
MERY MERRY to you and your family.
THANK YOU again,
Connie