one hand

Old 04-23-2016, 04:33 PM

Dena, I have done home health care and was impressed with the work of Occupational Therapists who would think outside the box to help patients stretch their limits. Before that I did not know the difference between a physical therapist and occupational therapists. I have seen a neoprene glove strapped onto the hand and a spoon attached with strong velcro to the glove so a man who had gone down the stairs head first could now feed himself. The glove looked like the fingerless ones some motorcycle riders use. If you have any movement of your left arm, perhaps this could be a starting point with a chopstick or wooden skewer attached to a snug fitting glove. Martha Pullen uses wooden barbeque skewers to guide her fabric through the sewing machine. She says wooden skewers are safer than metal if the needle hits one. Keep plugging away and let us know your progress.
Old 04-23-2016, 05:08 PM

Don't over look dollar store liner. I've been forced into partial left handedness thanks to a pit bull who chewed up my right hand. I've got it all over the kitchen to hold something in place while I clumsily whatever with my left hand. Same thing in my sewing room. In many cases I have cut 1/2 inch squares and used elmer's contact cement to attach them on a temporary basis - even to the working fingers on the right. Amazingly I have re-learned to use my rotary cutter accurately using only my thumb, ring finger and pinky. Just keep plugging and trying different ideas and you'll find that you adapt to a new way of doing things. It's slow progress (I'm 11 months in now) but apparently even a mid-seventies brain can be retrained.
Old 04-24-2016, 03:57 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Michigan!
Old 04-24-2016, 06:59 AM

welcome from se TX
Old 04-24-2016, 01:56 PM

Welcome from N Texas!
Old 04-24-2016, 03:02 PM

Deena, that is the right attitude to have when something like that happens to you! Welcome to the board. You will find a way! Have you seen an occupational therapist to help you master tasks that we all take for granted? That might help you.

I bought a used accuquilt studio last summer. It was an impulse purchase. The LQS near our NJ home was getting rid of it. I happened to be buying fabric, and the sales person asked me if I wanted to buy it. Since I have trouble with both hands, elbows, shoulder, I said yes.

It is the studio model, and the dies are heavy. If I'd thought about buying an accuquilt before I bought what I have, I would have gotten one of the newer ones since the dies are light weight. They do have an electric model, too. The big drawback to it is that the dies are very pricey. Sizzix has a cutter as well. Some of the folks on the board have them, so can advise you about them. I honestly don't know anything more about the sizzix, though.

It has been a God-send with regard to cutting. When your husband masters basic rotary cutting, he can prepare fabric for the accuquilt cutter.

God bless!
Old 04-24-2016, 03:05 PM

You are indeed her dear husband. Love shines brightest when it is tested as yours has been!
Old 04-26-2016, 05:20 PM

Welcome from OHIO!
Old 04-27-2016, 08:30 AM

*** Hi! Y'all from the upstate of South Carolina.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:32 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Oklahoma. Happy quilting.