shout out!

Old 03-16-2014, 07:12 AM

Cool shout out!

HIIm new to sewing in general ,and even newer to quilting lol.
it all started when I broke out my 10 year old used 3 times sewing machine and it wouldnt changed stitches . baffled , I spent many internet hours trying to figure what I could be doing wrong and finally opened up the little bugger to see if anything was "obviously " wrong .well it was , "something" was broken a plastic little "gear" looking thing . more internet hours and I figured out it was something to do with a cam stitch changing thing . horrified by singer (6038) using plastic for such an important part and feeling betrayed as well after all I distinctly remember buying this machine after reading something about metal on the box (yes ten years ago) well It was metal "frame" on the box I kept. ugh!
So I decidede the only way to not be in this position again is to not buy a new plastic riddled machine.more internet hours and I made a decision VINTAGE machines were the only way to go ! the search was on there were soo many on craigslist.I had my eye on a huqvarna viking class 20 and a singer 503 couldnt make up my mind , the viking was sold when I called I was so bummed . so on to the singer 503 bought it for 90$ thought it was a good deal love it and was happy . but I was soo bothered by that viking being gone I kept looking on craigslist for another one , and found a domestic 153 I couldnt live without (and 501 attachments I have no idea what to do with lol )but still bothered I dont have that viking back to craigslist . this time a find a bargain in a 403 with cabinet and knee lever for only 25$ how could I just pass it up right? I m lucky I have a suburban and didnt have to talk the hubs into lending me his truck for the day and hear the "lucy you got some splaning to do "speech.
cause yall know I was going back to craigslist for a shot at an elusive viking . only this time I was stricken by a white fair lady in cabinet with knee lever for 25$ and a 45 minute road trip to daytona . and still no viking
so here i am , 5 sewing machines and nothing but lust for more , and very limited sewing skills . and a husband with a raised eyebrow wanting to know whats gotten into me .its fine honey everythings under control . Ill be "making so much stuff " ugh yeah .Ill be making a quilt honey youll see !
I started out with some squirreled away paolyester fabric in black and white polka dot and solid yellow . should be easy enough right just some squares sewn together I can do this . OH MY GOD ! dont get me started on every mistake with that sentence.Im lucky I have to keep ripping seems out because it seems like im way busier than I really am .anyways , I need help and Ill be here reading everything and hopefully leaning what Im doing wrong lol .
thanks for being here for people like me in over their heads !
Old 03-16-2014, 07:20 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Ontario, Canada. Congratulations you have started on a fun adventure. The youtube videos are a great place to learn new skills. My favourites are made by Jenny Doan from the Missouri Star Quilt Co.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:35 AM

The modern day Singer's are pieces of junk. I wouldn't buy one any new than late 60's, my personal opinion. It definitely sounds like you've got the "vintage" machine bug. LOL As far as making a quilt, most likely your problem is the polyester fabrics, try 100% cotton. If you don't have a lot of money to spend, go to thrift stores, yard sales, etc., you'll be amazed at the difference in your quilting.

Welcome to the Board.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:48 AM

Welcome from western N.c.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:29 PM

Welcome from OHIO! You'll get lots of help from this board, so just ask away. You definitely want to quilt with cotton fabrics and not polyester. Have fun and good luck finding that Viking!
Old 03-16-2014, 12:42 PM

Hello onthebrinkofdisaster, welcome from Nevada. Your board name and intro indicate you have a great sense of humor.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:02 PM

Welcome from Texas
Old 03-16-2014, 07:54 PM

Howdy from Oklahoma! Welcome to the Board. You may want to check out Quilter'sCache.com for blocks that come in beginning, intermediate & master to help build your skills. They oodles of free patterns.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:55 PM

so I can't spell! They have oodles of free patterns. Oh, and check out McCalls quilt patterns when you can.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:01 PM

Welcome from Northern CA!!! Sounds like you have a great new hobby.