Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
YEEEE HAAAA from Good ol' South Dakota, The sunshine state. >

YEEEE HAAAA from Good ol' South Dakota, The sunshine state.

YEEEE HAAAA from Good ol' South Dakota, The sunshine state.

Old 03-12-2011, 01:01 PM

Oh Hi Nebraska neighbor! How r u doing? Where in NE? I drove thru there last Thursday and the roads from Hayes KS to Valentine were REALLY BAD! slush, ice, wind slow travel getting home but we made it... :D
Old 03-12-2011, 01:35 PM

Greetings from Colorado, your are a lucky girl!!! I've had horse and have team roped and worked cattle for a long time.

Don't get to do either any more and miss my horses alot.
Now I have huskies who are wonderful and get to play and play.

This site is great sure hope you enjoy it :-D
Old 03-12-2011, 01:44 PM

Oh my word... I LOVE that quilt with the woman? on it hanging on the line. Was that a BOM? If so... what's the name of it?!!!!

Great idea to paint the storage shed with a churn dash (I think).

Welcome to the board... sounds like you could certainly teach me a thing or two!

I look forward to reading some of the er.... "tight" comments from other posters too! Great idea.

I just bought an old singer 15-91 machine that I can clean up, keep in order and do Free Motion quilting on. Heck... the thing cost me $20 + the cost of cleaning her up. Beats the stuffin out of buying a new (brand name) machine for $1,000's of dollars!

Great to have you 'along' for the ride... One of these days when I get to South Dakota, I'll come visit!
Old 03-12-2011, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Always In Stitches
Hi Lee Ann, Thanks for the warm welcome. My last year garden was about 300 acres... that was just the corn garden! HA! our ranch is very LARGE! Lots of grass, cows, horses, sometimes lots of grasshoppers. My veg. Garden was only potatoes, onions and tomatoes. I stopped raising chickens after my last bunch was killed off my a hungery sow raccoon with about 15 babies... BUT I LOVE LOVE LOVE your rooster profile photo.. very colorful and just georgious! thanks for posting the picture.
Yup... that's quite a big spread. My DH and I are looking to buy about 100 acres in my home state to farm. We'll lease out at first and work along side to learn. It's been 30 years since I ever worked on a farm.... Funny, most people retire to 'easy' life. DH and I want to retire to something that keeps us active and gives us simple enjoyment, simple life and some darn good organic food on the table.

um and sorry to hear about your chickens.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:57 PM

Hi right back atcha Bren - from Illinois here but I LOVE the SD prairies!! Been there a few times, driving through to MT or OR. Hubby and I don't take the interstates when we travel - you can only see so many "Cracker Barrels" before youv'e had enough. Give me the country roads any day - I'll just follow the sun and head in the general direction and eventually find my way across country.

You mentioned Valentine NE ... my husbands favorite place. Of course he's only visited there in the summer, I keep reminding him they have a winter too and he wouldn't like it much :) He's from England and still hasn't adjusted to Illinois winters, he has no idea how much worse a Valentine winter can be. I lied and told him SD was better because that's where *I* want to live.

Adore your quilted shed!!
Old 03-12-2011, 02:27 PM

Welcome, SD is My favorite state I have been to so far, I have visited 4 times and hope to get back there again before I kick it. LOve them blackhills !
Old 03-12-2011, 02:35 PM

Ok well the lady in the quilt is like an angel, she has a halo, which was a learning lesson for me like most of my work. First of all, the pattern and fabric was bought for me and given to me by DH! Yes I know that most DH's don’t buy quilt patterns and fabric but my DH is really a "DH"! He was in CO elk hunting and he always beings me something home so while the "Other guys" with him were taking showers and cleaning up after getting off the mountain my DH was shopping in the local quilt shop. He walked in and said my wife quilts I want to take her something that depicts your area. They said to him is she a good quilter. And he said well her quilts go to big quilt shows and she wins lots of ribbons and so I think she is a good quilter… and they sold him this pattern and fabric "KIT" and some yardage all in a re-usable bag! I loved it. I think the patterns name is Monticello Angel or something like that. I don’t know the quilt shops name but it is somewhere around wolf creek pass. He is so sweet I love him clear down to my bone marrow!

Now what I did wrong.... I used fusible web under the halo and fused it on and asked my machine quilter to sew around it to emphasize it, BUT I didn’t realize the fusible I used was the thickest heaviest stuff in the "WORLD" and after it was on... well of course you can’t take it off... soooooo that part of the quilt is as stiff as a board!!!!.... my machine quilter hated me after she quilted it and broke a few needles and as usual I learned another lesson the hard way....

And that's all I have to say about that! :? Oh one more thing. It was Juried into the AQS show in Des Moines, Iowa a few years ago, it didn’t place but it was a ribbon winner in the Black Hills Quilt show in Rapid City, SD. I did ask the pattern designer for permission to show the quilt I make from her pattern and she was very happy to get credit for her design…
Old 03-12-2011, 02:39 PM

Welcome!!
Old 03-12-2011, 02:46 PM

Oh you and me too. I love, Love, love the Balck Hills, Paha Sapa... my favorite place however, is here on the prairie where the wind blows ALL THE TIME!, but I can see only starts/moon at night when there is no cloud cover, no neighbors lights because no one lives close by... the down fall is... sometimes you are with no powere for 11 days, or you are snowed in and if you run out of TP you go without till the roads are cleared and you can get to town... you have to have a 4 wheel drive and The Good thing about my state is the government HAS TO HAVE A BALANCED BUDGET. It's the law.
NO INCOME or State tax, plus tax refunds for businesses who move here. No operating in the red for the good people of South Dakota! I love it here.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:19 PM

Welcome from middle of mitt (Michigan)