Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
2013 Bonnie Hunter Mystery Celtic Solstice >

2013 Bonnie Hunter Mystery Celtic Solstice

2013 Bonnie Hunter Mystery Celtic Solstice

Old 12-06-2013, 04:07 PM

My rats are neutered boys so not so shred happy. But, well they prefer to marinate shall we say. So they ruin hammocks in a few uses that way. The little guys are mostly good if I toss in the itty bitty scraps to drag around. Apparently loose threads can be a hazard, but as long as I'm using decent, sturdy fabrics, I've not seen a bunch of shedding strings and everyone has been fine. I've gotten some lesser quality fabrics, and I just toss those in my packing/stuffing bin instead of rodent nest bin.

Goos destroy everything that's not heavy gauge metal or glass. Mine are also not very well socialized, rescue boys, but we've reached our agreement and they can live out their lives in comfort and are pretty fun to watch if nothing else. They are in the hall, I can see them from my sewing room or music room. It works for us.

Meesers actually live over computer desk, three little girls. ASF and hedgehog are in the living room, rats are there also. ASF and hog need heat sources, rat boys are happiest there.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:38 PM

Wow 488 pieces for part 2.
got some of my pieces cut for part 1. Will really try to catch up this weekend.
Old 12-07-2013, 02:02 AM

I have almost finished part 1. Had a busy day today. Tonight I have raided by precut 2 inch squares and strips for a start on the 2nd part. I have cut into my scraps for the rest of the 2 inch squares and some more strips for the greens. I will cross cut some of the greens tonight and hope for some sewing time tomorrow.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:23 AM

Smile

OK, clue 2 is interesting...since I am doing my Scottish Celtic Solstice with Inklingo got the first batch ready for the printer and my printer just went screwy! Arh...I had printed about 40% of the center pieces (Bonnie's green my blue) and it just stalled out...spent several hours trying to fix it Because DS who reluctantly does the IT around here was not home. I finally gave up and just cut what I had printed and went to bed.
This morning woke up and tried to fix the problem myself and between DS and what I had done it finally got to printing again. Sheesh!
Everything is printed and I have about half of it to finish cutting then I can get to sewing.
Inklingo has a very different method to create the units so I am ready to get to it.
Cold and snowy today so no need to go out at least! I think it might just be a jammie or sweats day LOL
Have fun every one. I do remember Bonnie suggesting that once the new clues come out you should probably at least make a few so that you are familiar with how they work but as I now like to think...Please yourself!
Old 12-07-2013, 11:32 AM

Clue 2 cutting is done. Whoa, sure a lot of pieces, all 600 of them.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]450415[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails celtic-solstice-clue-2-001.jpg  
Old 12-07-2013, 08:35 PM

[QUOTE=gardnergal970;6442768]I have half of the pieces cut for clue 2 and decided to sew a few. I have not done much flip and sew....mostly templates...and then I get a little dislexic and put the chevrons together with the yellow in the center top rather than the neutral...I think this clue will take me most of the week. I do like how they turn out when I do them right![/QUOTE]

LOL - I sewed my first one together with the yellow where the white should have been also. I just sewed two to see if they measured the correct size. Did not want to have a lot done, and then not have them correct. I have had a number that I have had to unstitch as I sewed them too close to the line. I think I have it mastered now. I found by changing the presser foot to a different one, it held the fabric better and I had more control of the fabric.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:44 PM

My small quilt was just giving me nervous tics from all the wasted fabric on clue 2. So I got Inklingo.

Holy mashed avocados! That method is fast once I got done printing. I printed everything for clue 1 and 2 for the large size, and those just zipped right along. I just chain sewed until I ran out of my centers, then chain sewed the other side, pressed everyone smooth, then sewed my chevrons together. I've not pressed those open yet, I'm waiting as I've never had success lining up seams pressed open.

Now I just need to finish the small chevrons I cut out before giving into my fit on waste.

It was windy and cold here, but no snow to at least look pretty. Dogs curled up by my feet and we just sewed away.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:18 PM

I tried to do the Inklingo for Clue #2 but just couldn't get a 3 1/2 inch square for love nor money! So I attached one template to my Easy Angle and cut 2 inch strips and cut out the parallelogram. Cut my yellow and neutral squares at 2 3/8, cut them into HST and started chain piecing. I have a picture of two practice blocks that I completed and they are 3 1/2 inch square. Just have to trim off the dog ears. I've completed about 20 blocks in about an hour so hopefully, I'll be ready for clue #3 on Friday! I need to get some different yellows! Maybe a trip to my LQS tomorrow!
Attached Thumbnails sdc10646-1007x1024-.jpg  
Old 12-08-2013, 12:03 AM

Maybe that's the way to go grandmasieg. Yours look much better than mine. Perfect points.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltedCello View Post
My small quilt was just giving me nervous tics from all the wasted fabric on clue 2.
Yeah, me too. But I just went with it. I still have a pile of the cut off corners. Couldn't quite bring myself to throw them away.