Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Links and Resources
  • Changes at Joann's Fabric >
  • Changes at Joann's Fabric

• Changes at Joann's Fabric

Old 11-06-2017, 02:27 PM

It is very sad indeed my grandson has not even been able to keep lawn decoration out and I have a pre pay phone and now WalMart is locking up the cards when I mentioned they had to be activated to work He said a few had already figured out how to work that if the crooks would work as hard as they do at stealing they would probably be well established people
    Old 11-06-2017, 03:09 PM

[QUOTE=illinois;7938135]I suppose this might be one way to cut back on employees? Not as many circulating in the store to see what is happening.
    I can understand the need to prevent thefts but if it's also to cut staff, then it will effect sales. I had to wait about
    10 minutes till someone came to unlock (and this was after I had to find someone to page to get help with the lock).
    If I had limited time, I would have walked out.
    Old 11-06-2017, 05:46 PM

I have had a couple of occasions when I was shopping that an item was either under my purse in the upper basket (normally used for infants and toddlers), and it did not get paid for -- I discovered this before I left the parking lot, once it was $1.65 zipper for clothing, and once it was a $4-$5 bottle of spices. On both occasions, I walked back into the store and paid for the items. I've seen too many cashiers take abuse from some customers, to place the blame on the cashiers. Yes, some people would have taken the items and left. But, there is one thing I have to live with -- my conscience -- and I won't violate that. I don't resent Wal-Mart Security checking to make sure every item has been paid for -- we all pay higher prices to make up for stolen merchandise. Also, it's a means to make sure that a cashier (or other employee) is not working with someone purporting to be a customer, and in reality is a thief. This isn't meant to be a defense of any particular retailer, it's just the facts -- we've had this same thing happen in our little sleepy North Central Florida town!
    Old 11-07-2017, 02:56 AM

After a family member passed away and the house was empty, some people came in the backyard and stole the *entire* outside central AC unit. There is absolutely no possibility that this was done without someone noticing. it seems people just don't have a conscience anymore.
    Old 11-07-2017, 12:02 PM

I remember being flabbergasted when I realized that there was a theft problem at my local quilt shop. How could that happen!! Someone stole a display quilt out of their store. And they would find empty cardboard from the bolts of fabric.
    Old 11-07-2017, 12:33 PM

I was in JoAnn's earlier today, and the wall of sewing notions had a big sign up that it was under video surveillance. ��
    Old 11-07-2017, 01:17 PM

Thieves came to our small town's Cadillac dealer with trucks and trailers, and took off the wheels and tires of Many high priced vehicles and loaded them onto their trailers during the night. A surveillance camera filmed them but no identifying things were shown.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-08-2017 at 10:37 AM. Reason: remove shouting/ all CAPS
    Old 11-08-2017, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Snooze2978
    It used to just be the big cities that had this problem but I live in a small town and our Walmart now has the door person check everyone going out with merchandise. I've gotten so used to it that I automatically have my receipt in hand when I go near the door. Saves time. Its a sad, sad world we live in.
    our WalMart only does this during the holidays and if you have items outside of a bag.
    Old 11-08-2017, 08:36 AM

I'm a chef a 24/7/365 children's crisis centre. It's a charity and we run off donations.
    You'd be shocked at what goes missing in the kitchen and it isn't clients who are taking it.
    We just recently put locks on all the freezers, pantry and walk-in fridge and a lot of the employees were outraged because they felt "accused".
    Well, someone is taking all this stuff. Cases of chicken aren't walking out on their own in the middle of the night.

It's sad that we've had to lock everything, but a few bad apples and all that....

Watson
    Old 11-10-2017, 04:39 AM
    Power Poster

I don't feel offended when places like Costco etc check receipts. It's not personal and I don't take it as such. They're just doing their job.