Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Changes at Joann's Fabric >

Changes at Joann's Fabric

Changes at Joann's Fabric

Old 11-06-2017, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by quilt1950 View Post
My local Joanns also has all the sewing machine needles locked up. One day someone stole all the needles and Gutermann thread. I can't believe that someone did not see them loading up on the thread. It's a big display on the way to the back of the store. The needles I believe - that aisle is more isolated.
Not so hard to believe as the stores are lightly staffed. Everyone who works there looks harried.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by Garden Gnome View Post
This kind of makes you wonder, when we find a real good price on an item at a flea market or garage sale, if it has recently been stolen from a brick and mortar store.
That is a very good possibility.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by Mkotch View Post
Not so hard to believe as the stores are lightly staffed. Everyone who works there looks harried.
Cutting hours is the biggest reason for the shoplifting. If you have a store with only 2 employees, shoplifting is almost inevitable. I used to work for Hancock's and this was a constant conversation. Even if you notice them taking stuff, it's not a good idea to try to stop them. You never know what they have in their pocket.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:36 AM

At my JoAnn's they take the blades, scissors, etc., up to the cash registers. I've shopped for fabric and other items and when got to the cash register I had to ask for my other items. It's sad the stores have to use such drastic measures to control theft.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Evie View Post
Not just sharp items. Because of theft, our local Ralphs (Krogers) now has all Tide products and coffee under lock and key. A real hassle when it's an item you want, so I go elsewhere for those things.
I’m not sure of the connection, but we were told several years ago (from a reliable source) that Tide was stolen to support drug habits. How can one steal something as big as Tide? It boggles my mind!
Old 11-06-2017, 06:28 AM

As a JoAnn employee, we take the locked merchandise to the register so that there is no ability to steal them. As a matter of fact, a new hire in our store gave a customer 4 cans of spray paint.....the customer only has 1 at check out. When questioned about the other 3 cans, the customer said she dropped them somewhere. (Probably in her huge shopping bag). Not a thing we can do about it.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-07-2017 at 12:33 PM. Reason: remove shouting/ all CAPS
Old 11-06-2017, 06:32 AM

I don't know how the thieves have the guts. I don't want to steal anything, but even if I was desperate and wanted to steal pocket items, I would never have the nerve to slip even a stick of gum in my pocket. Afraid lights and sirens would immediately go off. Where do these people get the nerve! It has to be just total lack of conscience. And tons of nerve. Too stressful - and it's against the law. I would rather gather every coupon Joann's will honor, and happily go shopping, paying hard-earned money for every item.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:55 AM

Items such as scissors & blades have been locked up for years at my local Joann. However, when you want one of those items, you are made to stand in the cut counter line to ask for the item to be unlocked. Then the cut counter employee walks the item to the customer service desk at checkout, where you must stand in line again to retrieve it...then get in yet another line to pay for it. Such a hassle.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:02 AM

There are a lot of people out there who firmly believe that it's not really wrong to steal from a chain store. "They have insurance", is often the excuse I hear. Or, "They can afford it more than I can".

In the specific case of one of my family members, it's a combination of bad attitude and legitimate mental illness. In her mind she has done nothing wrong, instead she has struck a blow against "the man", and "the man" owes her so she's just taking what rightfully is hers anyway. Counselling (after a couple of arrests) and some medication seems to be helping, but she's not fully cured and we all know things go missing when she's around.

I'm sure not all thieves think the same way. But there's a glimpse into what some thieves are thinking. It's tragic.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:25 AM

Sad times.