Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Changes at Joann's Fabric >

Changes at Joann's Fabric

Changes at Joann's Fabric

Old 11-05-2017, 04:38 AM

Theft Is everywhere!! I'll never understand the lack of conscience, how do these people sleep at night?
One Christmas early on in our marriage DH and I were gifted 8 x 10 in, copies of professional pics of my DH(why the sister has possession of the original pics of my DH and not my DH, I'll never understand) the pics which was in our pile never made it home with the rest of our gifts. I was so stunned I didn't say a word except to DH. The next year I agreed to leave my Holiday plates and Tupperware to retrieve later as we needed to leave to visit my mom in the nursing home. When I mentioned later to the sister-in-law about wanting to retrieve my items she knew nothing, had no idea where my items went but she did not have them. Wow, I now take just a few items and on paper plates. More or less has put a damper on all Christmas's since.
LindaJ, I was raised with the understanding and mantra "Do not take what does not belong to you", along with "Always speak the truth" and "Always do your best" Simple rules to live by.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-05-2017 at 08:45 AM. Reason: remove shouting/ all CAPS
Old 11-05-2017, 04:49 AM

How sad the way our world is going.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:13 AM

I agree with all the thoughts here. I feel compelled to add one more. Sometimes these decisions are made for other reasons. (And not always communicated clearly to all staff members as QuiltE pointed out.) Sometimes there are public safety considerations. Young people steal sharp things like blades to cut themselves. Even some over-the-counter medications like laxatives are locked up for the same reason.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:33 AM
Power Poster

It absolutely drives me Mad to be stopped at the door and “checked” at Walmart. Usually I just walk on by and if they call to me I say, ‘No thank you... call the police if you think I’ve stolen something’. I know theft is bad but it’s the cashier’s responsibility to make sure you have paid for what you brought to the register. Checking receipts makes all good, paying customers feel like thieves. Guilty until proven innocent. And the receipt check won’t help with all the concealed stuff a theif has stuffed in their purse and pockets. I loathe that policy and avoid shopping at Walmarts because of it.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-05-2017 at 08:45 AM. Reason: remove shouting/ all CAPS
Old 11-05-2017, 05:34 AM

Think the theft deterrent device has been on for a while. When I purchased scissors at Joann's, I had to task the team member for assistance to remove the scissors from the display. Yes, she just handed them to me, and I paid for them of course. Sad the way it is now.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:14 AM

Our local KMart closed for good last year. On the last day they had employees checking shoppers bags on the way out. This was the first time they had done this. I just thought it was odd that for all the years they had been there they wait until the last day when everything was 80% off to start checking bags. Why the concern that people would steal stuff they could buy cheap more than they would at the regular prices.? Also I don't understand why people would risk going to jail for stealing something they could buy cheap.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:06 AM

Joann's has quite a few items locked up. Some scissors, rotary blades, and colored ink pens. When I have bought rotary blades and scissors there, the manager (only managers can unlock the items) have taken them up front & I had to tell the check out person. On Friday when I was there, I bought a package of Pigma pens and she unlocked them and handed them to me. The store was very crowded and busy and that was a day I really thought they would take them up front.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:08 AM

It is amazing the items we have to put under theft control. One of the biggest loss items are the bra inserts and clear straps around prom time. One item that Always ticks me off are the buttons. A person will steal one button off a two button card! I think I would prefer they take the whole card instead of leave that one button to stare down at me. One day I was cleaning up the licensed fleece area and found 8 bolts with a character cut out of them. This person would have had to brought in their own scissors to cut out winnie and the disney princesses.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-05-2017 at 08:46 AM. Reason: remove shouting/ all CAPS
Old 11-05-2017, 07:26 AM

My story is the reverse of most of your stories. We have 3 sons and when they were early teens I took them to Burlington Coat factory and purchased new coats, pants, shirts, etc. Many of these items had those gadgets that had to be decoded. When I got home I was checking my receipt and found that I had not been charged for one of the coats. I went back to the store to make things right and the clerk begged me to just take the coat and leave-because, if reported, she would lose her job. I said that I could not do that because, every time that coat was worn I would have to think that it was not paid for. I felt that it was her error and up to her to fix it. I paid for the coat. I was happy but I never knew what happened on the store side.
Old 11-05-2017, 08:03 AM

I was asked by a store owner to keep an eye on a certain person who had sticky fingers. It is so easy to slip small items into a pocket or bag. I also have no problem with a clerk checking my ID or for the Walmart greeter to ask to see a receipt or to check my cart. Most are very nice people and we just have a good time. Costco and Sam's has done this for years. If I had something to hide only then might I act offended.