Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Diabetes Friendly Guide for Thanksgiving Dinner >

Diabetes Friendly Guide for Thanksgiving Dinner

Diabetes Friendly Guide for Thanksgiving Dinner

Old 11-12-2011, 04:41 AM

Thank you for sharing this. Recipes sound good. I make our green beans often with onion and garlic but will have to try adding the sliced almonds next time. I especially like the idea of the crustless pumpkin pie. I don't like the crust anyway. :-)
Old 11-12-2011, 05:51 AM

Thank you Airwick156. I am a diabetic and there are thousands of people who have it and don't know it. I don't know why doctors don't make that a yearly checkup - it's the A1C test. Thanks again.
Dodee
Old 11-12-2011, 08:52 AM

I am also diabetic and the most important thing I have learned is to eat protein at every meal which seems to balance out the carbs. Try this and see if it doesn't keep your sugar lower.
IdahoSandy
Old 11-12-2011, 07:36 PM

Thank you so much for this guide. My husband and I are both diabetics and need all the help we can get. This will be a wonderfu help this year.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:25 PM

Thanks for posting this. I teach Medical Assisting and we cover diabetes and this is an excellent resource for the students.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:31 AM

thank you so much!!!
Old 11-13-2011, 08:10 AM
Banned

that is what I said....no diabetic I know would ever be able to eat that many carbs! The carrots alone would do me in for the day!

Hopefully if you are diabetic you KNOW what you can/can not eat. Often times these educators are only passing on BOOK info and not trial tested facts.

and the Protein should be HALF of the plate!

It is about knowing YOUR body and understanding how different carbs effect you. THen use portion control!
Never eat after 7pm, stay away from desert and alcohol, (caffeine for many) and you will be fine!
Old 11-14-2011, 12:36 PM

Thanks for sharing and it looks good too, but it Looks like I want be eating Turkey I only like the drumsticks, the other meat has to be coated in gravey and stuffing on rolls before I will eat it. I do love sweetpotato pie. Made a Casserole one year with only sliced apples and sliced yams, so simple the family loved it.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:54 PM

Thanks very much for that link, it was helpful
x
Old 11-14-2011, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
that is what I said....no diabetic I know would ever be able to eat that many carbs! The carrots alone would do me in for the day!

Hopefully if you are diabetic you KNOW what you can/can not eat. Often times these educators are only passing on BOOK info and not trial tested fact
and the Protein should be HALF of the plate!

It is about knowing YOUR body and understanding how different carbs effect you. THen use portion control!
Never eat after 7pm, stay away from desert and alcohol, (caffeine for many) and you will be fine!
Thanks for confirming my findings about all this. If I were to fix this for DH I would kill him. I know everyone is different, but please don't say this is diabetic cooking/recipes when it is full of sugar, starches, alcohol sugars and all those "ose" ingredients.....all that is pure sugar for some. I stopped taking Healthy Cooking and Diabetic Cooking because they were full of all these things and never listed the sugars and starches for their recipes...how bad is that!

Please be very careful out there!