Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Free Mystery Quilt starting April 1 >

Free Mystery Quilt starting April 1

Free Mystery Quilt starting April 1

Old 04-17-2008, 01:21 PM

Thanks everyone about my four patches, and everyones are looking great. I think someone wrote that everyones quilt is going to look great, and after seeing what everyone has been doing I agree! I turned off my PC today so I would get some sewing done. Now all my four patches are done. I had a 40 four patch shortage. Took almost as long as the first batch because doing all the same thing over. Now I am going to start cutting for step two. I have had the Easy Angle Ruler for a long time and never used it. I did not even know it automaticly added the 7/8 to the measurment. That is neat. But usualy I just cut to the whole number then trim to the correct size. Either way is good. So Ruth you are okay now?We are still working with our scraps. We just did not use the 3.5 inch strips in the first step. Okay, I am turning everyone off again Hee Hee, just kidding turning off PC. I love being on it so I lose sewing time when I am. Have fun sewing everyone!
Old 04-17-2008, 01:41 PM

If using the angle ruler for the little triangles, make sure you cut the strips right sides together (or cut some all right sides up, then cut strips with right sides down), or they will not work. I didn't read my instructions and ended up cutting out even more little triangles.

I have enough left over for another half, will possibly use them in the challenge quilt here, since they are scraps anyway.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:16 PM

All lined up and ready to sew.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-48749.jpe  
Old 04-17-2008, 05:56 PM

Everyone is doing an awesome job of this mystery!!! I have my blocks at my boyfriend's place. I am spending the night at Mum's tonight as we had our sewing group tonight. I plan to get back at my Step 2 tomorrow afternoon. I am planning to leave work around 2:30. we have a long weekend here this weekend, so all the more reason to leave the office early tomorrow to start that long weekend faster!! LOL

I did start cutting out some blue and white star blocks tonight that I will try to assemble over the weekend too. I am trying to add to my eBay inventory so I have as much as I can for when I start it when I get back from my trip.

I received another gorgeous bunch of fabrics from eBay today when I got off work. all sooo very very yummy!! I have two more fabric orders coming, and a couple packages of patterns on the way.... ooh its like Christmas

Anyway, just wanted to say I love everyone's blocks. Mary you are all lined up and ready to get a good start on Step 2. I like how you got them all set up on your ruler!!! I like lining mine up like that too. I have to be organized when I sew. I have to be organized period in anything I do!!

well its almost 11:30pm here, and time for me to get some shut eye... good night and chat with you all tomorrow!
Old 04-17-2008, 06:06 PM

I just started working on my 4 patches. I am a bit behind but having fun!!
Everyones blocks are looking great. I will not be able to post mine due to not having a camera or even knowing how to post pictures. Aggi, you said, something about needing a focal fabric for what??? Let me know I am a bit confused???

Happy Sewing Ladies!!!!!
Bebe
Old 04-17-2008, 06:10 PM

I usually line things up on my 13" ruler, but, this many didn't fit too well.
I use my dining table for my machine, so if I have things on my ruler, it is easy to move if needed.

Luckily I can just put my machine on the floor next to the table without it being in the way, unless we have company. Ready to just put back on the table and sew, sew, sew.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:12 PM

Okay, you guys kind of scare me! LOL! And here I thought I was organized and neat. I'm a slacker! LOL! Maybe we should get help! We can't be normal! It's fun though! As long as it's fun! Step two is a blast. I'm having the most fun chatting with you guys about this whole project. Everyone's talents astound me. I can't wait to see the finished quilts. I know they will amaze me! Such talent. Take a bow everyone!
Old 04-17-2008, 06:20 PM

Believe me, what I have on my ruler is really the only thing that is organized! I do have my fabric in bins, lots of them, and about a month ago I sorted through them all and put an index card in the corner with what was in it, makes it a lot easier. I only did that cause I was looking for certain colors to do quilts for my siblings, probably the Woven Ribbon, cause I asked them all for their 5 favorite colors. May end up doing something else, but will use at least 3 of the favorites, which Blue is the favorite of all 5 of us, but will use a different blue for each quilt I make for them.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:22 PM

to me a focal fabric is a main fabric... In my case, i am not doing a real "scrappy" looking quilt for mine. I have chosen various green, yellow and blue scraps. (so its somewhat scrappy). I asked Bonne (the mystery host) if her fabric that had the most amount of fabric was her "main focal fabric".. a fabric that would tie all the colours together. i think she is using an orange. So where is is making all these scrappy patches, would this orange fabric be considered her "focal" main fabric? I have a fabric I would love to use that has greens, yellow and blues through it. The main colour (background of the fabric print) is blue. I explained the fabric to her and she said I should be okay. I sent her a photo of my four patches, and she thinks I could probably use the focal fabric i was thinking of using... but to wait til all the little scrappy patches are complete first. She said we will be doing all the scrappy units first before going into the other fabrics, and at that time I can decide if the focal fabric I want to put in it will work. I also asked if that fabric would be a border, but she didn't say.

I hope that helps :)

Cheers
Old 04-17-2008, 06:24 PM

Mary, I need to sort through my fabrics again soon.. I have pulled from my stash so much over the last few months, I'm afraid to open the pantry doors in fear it will all come out to attack me!!!