Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Good Fortune -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery begins!! >

Good Fortune -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery begins!!

Good Fortune -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery begins!!

Old 10-31-2018, 01:33 PM

Kass, that sounds like a great plan! I have been looking on line all day; what I would like to do is find yardage that I love and try a single fabric per color version and see what that's like.

I also have a possibility in my stash. It's a FQ bundle I've had for years with no inclination of what to do with it. It has the appropriate number of colors of similar value. I went through my stash for supplemental fabrics and would have enough. But it's a busy group of fabrics and I might run into trouble if the quilt is in very small pieces. My red would be more orange and my orange would be more yellow. My green is also much yellower, and the blue very grayed. It looks quite dreary compared to Bonnie's palette, but . . . I wouldn't have to buy anything.
Attached Thumbnails img_2555_fotor.jpg  
Old 10-31-2018, 01:35 PM

Belfrybat, I think just one print would be fine, but I think the blender red has a better intensity for the group. They look good!
Old 10-31-2018, 02:03 PM

Joe'smom, I like your FQ bundle but I would trade out the blue, to something more vibrant.
Old 10-31-2018, 02:29 PM

I like the tonal red better
Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post
I'm undecided about the red, but this is what I've come up with so far. Any suggestions on the red would be appreciated. The floral red is closer to Bonnie's red than the TOT, and has green and gold in it, but I'm not sure about it being the only print in the group. I don't like orange and since that will be predominant, I opted for gold.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]603316[/ATTACH]
Old 10-31-2018, 02:33 PM

BH's quilts are sooooo busy I prefer yardage personally, and have always done them w/ yardage. I like your bundle but worry about how many large, med/large prints some are speculating the piecing is going to be even smaller then usual for this quilt based on a couple of her comments and the yardage / stated size, if that is accurate your colors of piecing may be "off"
Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
Kass, that sounds like a great plan! I have been looking on line all day; what I would like to do is find yardage that I love and try a single fabric per color version and see what that's like.

I also have a possibility in my stash. It's a FQ bundle I've had for years with no inclination of what to do with it. It has the appropriate number of colors of similar value. I went through my stash for supplemental fabrics and would have enough. But it's a busy group of fabrics and I might run into trouble if the quilt is in very small pieces. My red would be more orange and my orange would be more yellow. My green is also much yellower, and the blue very grayed. It looks quite dreary compared to Bonnie's palette, but . . . I wouldn't have to buy anything.
Old 10-31-2018, 04:56 PM

Always a fun part of the mystery to see everyone pull out their fabrics and ruminate over choices. I like the idea of maybe using yardage. I've made a lot of scrap quilts recently and think I need a break.

I've done the last 3 mysteries; Alietare was my favorite, I made 3 En Provence at the same time, but Ringo Lake wore me out. I thought I'd sit this mystery out. I am making good progress on my UFOs and have a Notre Dame T-shirt quilt in my near future that I fear will take up a great deal of time.

However, my SIL likes orange so **if** I did decide to jump in and switched -- the fabric requirement for Neutrals is so large I was thinking I'd switch Neutral to Orange but... then what would I sub for the Orange? I'd think it would have to be something close to red on the color wheel -- but darker than Orange, maybe purple?

Also need a baby/toddler quilt soon so my 2nd idea was to completely switch up the colors and make 1/4 of the clues - something manageable that would let me keep chunking away at my UFOs, then I could border the quilt and it would be a good baby size... but I'm concerned with so few blocks the pattern - or 2ndary pattern if there is one - would be lost.

Oh, what to do. I guess I have 3 weeks to figure it out.
Old 10-31-2018, 05:20 PM

In case anyone was as confused as I was, this isn't the official thread for the mystery quilt. Mariposa will start the official thread in Challenges and Contests.

AmyBible, you did 3 En Provence at the same time! I can't even imagine.
Old 10-31-2018, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I love looking at everyone's quilts but I have too many other quilts in the works to do.
Same with me.............I dare not even look at another mystery.
Old 11-01-2018, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
In case anyone was as confused as I was, this isn't the official thread for the mystery quilt. Mariposa will start the official thread in Challenges and Contests.
The new group thread is available! Bonnie Hunter's 2018-19 Mystery Quilt "Good Fortune"
Old 11-01-2018, 05:40 AM

I am on the fence. I do not need another quilt. I could make it patriotic for donation. I do not like like the small sizes of her units tho. I can easily charge units when the whole pattern is available.