Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Guess What Store Type These Photos' Subject Matter Are From! >

Guess What Store Type These Photos' Subject Matter Are From!

Guess What Store Type These Photos' Subject Matter Are From!

Old 05-06-2017, 09:25 AM

UuuHhh... gee Iona, I'm glad you posted where you were, cause, for sure, I thought you were lost somewhere in fabric world. I love that place, and I have never been there. I'm just an old fabric lover. HeHeee. Thanks for posting a link.
Old 05-06-2017, 10:57 AM

What a fun and informative idea. Thanks very much for sharing this. Love the way you challenged us to decide what it was! You are very lucky to have local access to such a store. Thanks again for lightening the day.
Old 05-06-2017, 12:05 PM

Fascinating place! I signed up to receive their emails.

I keep looking for a fabric with a white background that has really red flowers on it - as if someone had a bunch of flowers and threw them helter-skelter onto the white in all directions. I want to pair it with red and white checked gingham so it needs to be a really strong red. It has become my latest holy grail in fabric!
Old 05-06-2017, 12:22 PM

What a fantastic place. I need a trip to LA! Many years ago I went with a friend to the garment district and we had so much fun. The fabric was so cheap - you had to buy a yard of each but that was fine, at their prices it was like buying fat quarters. I went to M&L Fabric in Anaheim and was blown away by their prices too.
Old 05-06-2017, 12:47 PM

Definitely an interesting store. Love the ikats and leather (took a class from Cathy Wiggins at R2CA when she was just starting to quilt leather). I bookmarked it.
Old 05-06-2017, 01:06 PM

Any place with a remnant section is for me!
Old 05-06-2017, 01:06 PM

Drooling with envy. We have nothing as big or comprehensive as a shop like that in Australia.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:56 PM

It reminds me of a store that was local called Fabric World. When I graduated from college and had a real job I used to go there and wander for hours on end because for the first time in my life I had money and could buy any kind and amount of fabric my heart desired. Mostly I just wandered and felt the fabric and go home. They were eventually gobbled up by some other corporation and are no longer. Fond memories! Thanks for your photos!
Old 05-09-2017, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Evie View Post
I used to shop at Michael Levine's back in the day when I sewed clothing. Since I no longer shop for fashion fabrics, haven't been to L.A.'s garment district in ages. The traffic and crowds make for (me) a not-so-pleasant experience.

It still is a fantastic place to shop for a huge variety of regular non quilting fabric selections. Many a time I go for those sort of fabrics. My purpose here is to tease and tantalized all of you for a "quilt shop" experience within a huge warehouse, featuring all sort of possible patchwork and applique projects with all sort of the finest quilt shop level fabrics. I take public transportation down there & back and leave the car at home. Like most other people do in other places.

Originally Posted by Painiacs View Post
Wow, never knew there were places, could be dangerous to shop there! I'd wind up with tons!!
It smells far worse odor-wise (don't want to go there telling you what sort of odor it is) before being dangerous. I arrive before mid-afternoon, always gone before dark! Watch out for speeding delivery bikes on sidewalks, & distracted drivers!

Originally Posted by llong0233 View Post
What a fun and informative idea. Thanks very much for sharing this. Love the way you challenged us to decide what it was! You are very lucky to have local access to such a store. Thanks again for lightening the day.
You can have very close to the same experience (fabric-wise) by online ordering if you cannot come over here. I'm sure people close by in the garment/fashion district ship what they want since they are too busy working in their studios & workrooms to go physically to this fabric store even a short distance away.

Last edited by Iona D.; 05-09-2017 at 05:18 PM.