Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
How to make your own printed fabric labels for free. >

How to make your own printed fabric labels for free.

How to make your own printed fabric labels for free.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:12 AM

Her method puts too many wrinkles for the fabric to feed nicely. I use my inkjet printer, but I use basting spray attach the fabric (slightly oversized) to 4x6 photo paper. I cut the fabric to size and put the photo paper with fabric attached into the printer's paper tray. Using my word processor, I make the label, perfectly centered, and print out. I have not had any paper/fabric jams or ink smears since I started doing this. It also works for photos. After printing, allow to sit for a few minutes to finish drying all ink. Peal the fabric from the paper and trim to final size. I re-use the paper several times.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:37 AM

I have been using this method for sometime, and I have not had any issues at all, it works and is quite simple..
Old 08-23-2011, 09:06 AM

I was wondering about the wrinkles too. I have a packet of printed treasures and they have you format the label and you only get two to a full 8 1/2 by 11 sheet. Have you tried a full sheet and been able to print more per sheet?
Originally Posted by ShirlinAZ
Her method puts too many wrinkles for the fabric to feed nicely. I use my inkjet printer, but I use basting spray attach the fabric (slightly oversized) to 4x6 photo paper. I cut the fabric to size and put the photo paper with fabric attached into the printer's paper tray. Using my word processor, I make the label, perfectly centered, and print out. I have not had any paper/fabric jams or ink smears since I started doing this. It also works for photos. After printing, allow to sit for a few minutes to finish drying all ink. Peal the fabric from the paper and trim to final size. I re-use the paper several times.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:09 AM

There is a product that allows the ink to set permanent.
Its called bubble jet set and allows you to use regular cottons as upposed to those sheets that you buy for photo transfer (feels to plasticy for my likes). I use the bubble jet set for photo transfer and labels too.

http://www.bryerpatch.com/faq/bjs.htm
Old 08-23-2011, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Charleen DiSante
I was wondering about the wrinkles too. I have a packet of printed treasures and they have you format the label and you only get two to a full 8 1/2 by 11 sheet. Have you tried a full sheet and been able to print more per sheet?
Originally Posted by ShirlinAZ
I'm sure it would work. I have done 2 labels on a 4x6. Since you are cutting them apart you could put as many as you want. You would have to manually space them rather than using the auto center of your word processor.

If you are buying the printable fabric you could probably cut to standard photo sizes before printing, also. I can't afford the printable fabric sheets, so I make my own from fine muslin or a complementary light color fabric. The ink doesn't show well on darker fabrics.

I only make quilts for loved ones, so I want personalized labels, thus I usually only do one or two at a time.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:12 AM

This seems like an easy and cost-effective way to label any of my fabric projects.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:33 PM

Thank you for the site. I have bookmarked.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:17 PM

I've done something like that with pictures of faces on put on a quilt. I just cut the freezer paper 8 1/2 X 11 and iron the fabric on it. Send it through the printer with as many labels as you can fit on it. If you have a copy printer you can copy whatever right onto the fabric the same way.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:14 AM

Do any of you add a design frame around the label? I don't know what program would have these designs (resizable so I could make a whole bunch of labels per sheet of paper/fabric).
Old 08-24-2011, 05:57 AM

I have not put frames or designs around them, but there are a lot of card and scrapbook programs that have those kinds of things that would adapt very well. Any of them could be used to make the whole label in the right size with any number of designs and fonts.