Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Lancaster, PA Quilt shops >

Lancaster, PA Quilt shops

Lancaster, PA Quilt shops

Old 10-04-2017, 10:27 AM

Default Lancaster, PA Quilt shops

I am going to Lancaster, PA for a week in November. I am looking for some really good quilt shops. Anyone have any favorites?
Old 10-04-2017, 12:03 PM

I was just there in July and loved all of the quilt shops!!! One of my favorite was The Country Store in Intercourse, Pa. But as I wandered up and down the main street in Intercourse, I would go into shops and go in the back of the store and found some fabric that I had been looking for for about a year. And in these little shops in the back there are some good prices on fabric. Have a wonderful time and enjoy the quilts that are displayed.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:06 PM

Thanks - haven't been to Lancaster in several years.

Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
I was just there in July and loved all of the quilt shops!!! One of my favorite was The Country Store in Intercourse, Pa. But as I wandered up and down the main street in Intercourse, I would go into shops and go in the back of the store and found some fabric that I had been looking for for about a year. And in these little shops in the back there are some good prices on fabric. Have a wonderful time and enjoy the quilts that are displayed.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:17 PM

Log Cabin Quilt Shop in Intercourse has a great selection of items (fabrics, patterns, printed word panels-Block Party I think) Their prices are very good and they usually have a basket of discounted FQs. Lots of samples there. The Old Country Store is wonderful and their front window displays are usually gorgeous. They have a lot of kits they make up and FQ bundles, too. Burkholder's Quilt Shop in Denver, PA that is out in a beautiful rural area so the drive is worth it for the scenery and then the store. They have FQ bundles they make up as well as brand names pre-cuts, too. Large assortment of tools and notions. Fabric prices are very good and their sale section is a good size. Sometimes they have bolts in a wagon that are ridiculously low priced. The first time I went there I told them it was my first visit and they gave me a discount- don't recall %. Have a wonderful trip and please share your finds.
Old 10-05-2017, 03:56 AM

I like Old Country Store - great selection; helpful staff; reasonable prices. There is another shop across the street and down a few doors that is also good - Zook's maybe?? Much more 'Amish' than Old Country Store. I also really like Quilt & Fabric Shack in Bird in Hand. Just a short drive away. Lots of fabrics; sale room; flannel room! Also tons of notions downstairs (it's an older house converted). IMO - worth the trip.

Enjoy!
Old 10-05-2017, 05:01 PM

If you can, try to go out to the farms on a tour to see the homes. Notice they have no electric lines, cars, ect around the houses. Fischer is a big family name around that little town.
You could ask in one of the stores in town if there would be someone who would show you some of the farms. It is worth a try and so interesting.
We were with a group there about 20 yrs. One of the stores told us that it had been so commercialized that it wasn't the fun it used to be to sell items of The Amish and their ways of life.
One of the others responses sounded like there are still lots of shops, ect. Hope so! Would love to go back.
Mariah
Old 10-05-2017, 06:04 PM
Power Poster

the Sights and Sounds theatre is a must see. I heard they rival Broadway plays and worth the price tag.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:19 PM

My hometown is right across the river from Lancaster (York) so,I get up to,visit family (and go to quilt shows, of course!!) at least a couple times a year. I've been to almost all of them in the area (more than once) and love them all, but I want to also say I never miss The Quilt & Fabric Shack on Old Philadelphia Pike (Rt. 340) - in Bird In Hand. Amish-owned shops are terrific - they have the same fabrics as quilt shops but the prices are much better.

Just as a note - in case you have a chance to get to Hagerstown, MD there are two shows I never miss. Both are off I81 - Wilson's at X6 (Maugans Ave) has wonderful fabric bundles - I buy them and just pet them!! and Traditions at the White Swan (X9) which is terrific for reproduction fabrics.

Sandy in Mooresville, NC
Old 10-06-2017, 02:56 AM

I haven’t been to Lancaster in about 6 years but all the quilts were beautiful...I remember that some of the shops wouldn’t allow you to take photos. Have a splendid time.
Old 10-08-2017, 04:00 PM

My favorite is Burkholders. I also like Weavers and the Old Country Store. Martins has lots of flat folds for backings. Great stores. Lots of fun.