Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Making Crumb Blocks

http://www.linusconnection.org/img/2007/making_crumb_blocks.pdf

These directions keep referring to "a string." What is that?

CRH
    Check out this tutorial on crumbs, it answered some of the questions I had :-)
    http://www.quiltville.com/crumbs.shtml

I've made a couple of these but didn't know they had a name for them! LOL And here I thought I invented something new! I called them "crazy scrap quilts"
    Attached Images Attached Images

They are about the same as mile a minute blocks that Barb c posted.....check it out :D

http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/1565.page

CRH
    Country Quilter, Your scrap quilt is the prettiest I've seen so far, even on the tutorial sites. The setting brings it altogether, thanks for sharing!!!!!!

Thanks! I started out with a yellow piece of fabric on this one...I have also done one with red centers...they are fun...free wild go for it type of thing! Any scraps you have work for this and I don't worry about the grain of fabric cuz the sashing takes care of that!

I had so much fun with this block:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/4634.page

I've got enough extra blocks to make some other smaller quilts as well! It's easy to get carried away when you are zipping right along!!! :D

Country Quilter:
    I love your quilts and Love the colors. Good job.

Quote Originally Posted by annmarie
    These directions keep referring to "a string." What is that?
    I call it chain sewing.. you sew a couple pieces together.. sew with no fabric under the foot then sew another couple pieces... I tell my students its chain sewing more than "string"

I am making a bunch of these crumbs now and I'm lovin' it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Country Quilter
    I've made a couple of these but didn't know they had a name for them! LOL And here I thought I invented something new! I called them "crazy scrap quilts"
    ooh I like it!!! I'm finding when I'm doing mine, I'm making my pieces teeny tiny!! I will be making a bunch of 5" square blocks for my scrap quilt.. thats alot of scraps!! LOL I'll post photos soon1

Can't wait to see your crumb quilt. Just got some directions for making one off a webpage someone posted. I think I see a "crumb" in my future.

be careful Feathers.. they are becoming addictive!! I have sewn so much the last few days I am seeing them in my sleep!!! :O

Andrea:
    I started the Crumb quilt yesterday and have scraps EVERYWHERE! I have about 12 blocks made and I STILL think I'm overTHINKING this thing. I'm driving myself nuts with this but maybe it'll get easier once I decided to not try to control where each color, pattern, size, etc. needs to go.... :x :shock: :( :? :lol: I keep trying but can't seem to turn lose of the control issue.

Bury your control Feathers! I'm doing crumbs too. Just grab and sew. Don't think! They really turn out cute. You'll be surprised. Great, mindless, no-stress sewing! And I love looking at the finished pieces and wondering "what did I make with that?!!" LOL!

Chele: Thanks for the pep talk! I'll try it but it's going to be a challenge!

I still don't understand how to sew the crumbs. The tutorial at the start of this thread if very confusing. Aggi - I understand chain piecing but still don't see how that gets all the crumbs into a block. I'd really like to make a crumb quilt but .................... :?: :?: :?: :? :?

annmarie, did you look at this link? http://quiltingisstillmypassion.blogspot.com/2007/07/mile-minute-blocks-photo-tutorial.html

The "string" is the purple strip of fabric. I hope that helps. Crumb quilts are a great way to use up scraps!

Feathers I started with a chain of 37 crumb blocks. they are still looking crumy!! :) I still need to add a few more pieces to them before I cut them down into 6" blocks. Yesterday I picked up a 6" fussy cut square.

Don't get stressed over this.. its actually a stress free technique.. You just grab and sew with no worries. I will try and take a few photos tonight. I will be making another set this evening as the first 37 belong to a scrap quilt I will be making my boyfriend. Tonight I will be starting from scratch again to start a second crumb quilt. I gathered about 3 containers of scraps over the week to use and will lay them next to my machine tonight and just close my eyes, put my hand in a container and pick anything! :)

I have my quilting bee group tonight and I'll set myself up in the dining room and have the room to myself. I will need lots of space this evening. I will keep my camera close by and take photos as I go. After everyone leaves I will post the photos. Hopefully you will get to see how I do mine.

I have noticed that I make my crumbs a little bit smaller than the blocks on the websites some of you shared, but then I like working with small pieces sometimes.. I love the challenge, and you get more colour in each block!

its 9am here now at the office, so I have to get through the next few hours before going home to crumbs :) sigh.... ahh well I have a long weekend coming up!! wooo hooo! more sewing time! more crumbs!!

Ann Marie... I just added a long post to this page that I will be sewing more crumbs tonight and will take some photos... hopefully it will help!!! Just need to get through the work day first!! :)

Chele, I just looked at that tutorial page you shared with Ann Marie and I make mine differently!!! I don't use strings... I just grab pieces and sew together, something like crazy patch and crazy log cabins. :)

Chele - that link was much clearer. Thanks much. I get it now. Was gonna go get started BUT I think I'll wait now until Aggi posts her pictures. I don't have alot of "strings" so maybe just sewing the crumbs without strings will be better for me. Can't wait to see everyones quilts. These will qualify for the scrap quilt challenge too!

I was considering using mine in the quilt challenge too :)

Only a few more hours of work to go!!! its 2:15pm here.. I finish at 4:30.. then off with sweetie to get some supper. I told him I would treat him to some chinese food for supper tonight. He will drop me off to Mum's place for sewing and then I'll start in on my crumbs.. I probably won't get to post the photos til around 9ish or so my time.

Cheers!

Hi Andrea:
    Thanks for the encouragement. I have taken a picture of the blocks I have so far less ONE which was so ugly I ditched it. I made a crazy quilt a few years ago when I started quilting and it's not yet put together but I love it. Maybe the use of flannel in this crumb quilt is what I'm not liking or enjoying. Oh! well, I'll keep at it and if nothing else it'll become a nice and comfy little quilt for the animal rescue shelter. I'll post a picture of both the flannel blocks and of the crazy quilt I did a few years ago later today. Again, thank you and everyone for being such a great support to this floundering "crumb" quilter. :lol: :lol:

Okay.. I'm finally getting to post a few photos... I was hoping to complete a full block tonight, but between the gabbing (as us quilters do), show and tell, and catching up on the latest gossip, I couldn't finish a full one, so I will add what photos I have here now on how I make my crumbs blocks, then add more later the weekend when I get them big enough to cut 6" blocks from (thats the size I plan to make)...

Okay here it goes :)

My sewing machine and a couple containers of scraps
    Name:  Attachment-6401.jpe
Views: 17
Size:  35.7 KB

I start with two scrap pieces and sew wherever on them
    Name:  Attachment-6438.jpe
Views: 18
Size:  25.3 KB

my scraps
    Name:  Attachment-6443.jpe
Views: 18