Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Making Crumb Blocks >

Making Crumb Blocks

Making Crumb Blocks

Old 03-24-2008, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Country Quilter
I've made a couple of these but didn't know they had a name for them! LOL And here I thought I invented something new! I called them "crazy scrap quilts"
ooh I like it!!! I'm finding when I'm doing mine, I'm making my pieces teeny tiny!! I will be making a bunch of 5" square blocks for my scrap quilt.. thats alot of scraps!! LOL I'll post photos soon1
Old 03-25-2008, 08:28 AM

Can't wait to see your crumb quilt. Just got some directions for making one off a webpage someone posted. I think I see a "crumb" in my future.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:48 PM

be careful Feathers.. they are becoming addictive!! I have sewn so much the last few days I am seeing them in my sleep!!! :O
Old 03-26-2008, 03:53 PM

Andrea:
I started the Crumb quilt yesterday and have scraps EVERYWHERE! I have about 12 blocks made and I STILL think I'm overTHINKING this thing. I'm driving myself nuts with this but maybe it'll get easier once I decided to not try to control where each color, pattern, size, etc. needs to go.... :x :shock: :( :? :lol: I keep trying but can't seem to turn lose of the control issue.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:05 PM

Bury your control Feathers! I'm doing crumbs too. Just grab and sew. Don't think! They really turn out cute. You'll be surprised. Great, mindless, no-stress sewing! And I love looking at the finished pieces and wondering "what did I make with that?!!" LOL!
Old 03-26-2008, 05:07 PM

Chele: Thanks for the pep talk! I'll try it but it's going to be a challenge!
Old 03-26-2008, 07:25 PM

I still don't understand how to sew the crumbs. The tutorial at the start of this thread if very confusing. Aggi - I understand chain piecing but still don't see how that gets all the crumbs into a block. I'd really like to make a crumb quilt but .................... :?: :?: :?: :? :?
Old 03-27-2008, 02:09 AM

annmarie, did you look at this link? http://quiltingisstillmypassion.blogspot.com/2007/07/mile-minute-blocks-photo-tutorial.html

The "string" is the purple strip of fabric. I hope that helps. Crumb quilts are a great way to use up scraps!
Old 03-27-2008, 03:31 AM

Feathers I started with a chain of 37 crumb blocks. they are still looking crumy!! :) I still need to add a few more pieces to them before I cut them down into 6" blocks. Yesterday I picked up a 6" fussy cut square.

Don't get stressed over this.. its actually a stress free technique.. You just grab and sew with no worries. I will try and take a few photos tonight. I will be making another set this evening as the first 37 belong to a scrap quilt I will be making my boyfriend. Tonight I will be starting from scratch again to start a second crumb quilt. I gathered about 3 containers of scraps over the week to use and will lay them next to my machine tonight and just close my eyes, put my hand in a container and pick anything! :)

I have my quilting bee group tonight and I'll set myself up in the dining room and have the room to myself. I will need lots of space this evening. I will keep my camera close by and take photos as I go. After everyone leaves I will post the photos. Hopefully you will get to see how I do mine.

I have noticed that I make my crumbs a little bit smaller than the blocks on the websites some of you shared, but then I like working with small pieces sometimes.. I love the challenge, and you get more colour in each block!

its 9am here now at the office, so I have to get through the next few hours before going home to crumbs :) sigh.... ahh well I have a long weekend coming up!! wooo hooo! more sewing time! more crumbs!!
Old 03-27-2008, 03:32 AM

Ann Marie... I just added a long post to this page that I will be sewing more crumbs tonight and will take some photos... hopefully it will help!!! Just need to get through the work day first!! :)