Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Mashall Dry Goods Sale >

Mashall Dry Goods Sale

Mashall Dry Goods Sale

Old 09-20-2020, 05:30 AM

Default Mashall Dry Goods Sale

There are some nice bundle collections on sale at Marshall Dry goods, starting at $1.95/yd. The shipping is high, but it still averages out to a pretty good price. https://marshalldrygoods.com/shop/fa...dles/?sort=new
Old 09-20-2020, 05:57 AM

I see free shipping over $50
Old 09-20-2020, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
i see free shipping over $50
From the site

free shipping over $50 | cut yardage only | u.s. Only | excludes bolts, bundles, batting
Old 09-20-2020, 08:16 AM
Power Poster

I have seen these bundles in person there. Some feel stiff but the quality is fine.
Old 09-23-2020, 07:10 AM

I just got my first order from MDG. The fabric is from their own line. For the most part, I like the it. I would put it in the, "Medium Quality," category, somewhere between Walmart and Connecting Threads. For the price, it's really not bad. It's a tiny bit rough and a little stiff and the thread count is close, but probably isn't quite as high as CTs. Still, I think it will make useful, utility quilts and other projects. Much of what I ordered was solids. The prints that I received aren't as detailed as I would expect from high-end fabrics, but not terrible either. They will work just fine in a quilt with other fabrics.

I don't usually wash my fabrics first, but I think that I will wash this batch. I want to test the shrinkage and any possible bleeding. Overall, I'm pleased with my purchase. I've ordered a couple more bundles from them that have not come in yet, so we'll see how those look.

Customer service is OK. However, keep in mind that they like to use the phone, verses email, and that they don't have an answering service for after-hours calls. This means that you need to keep in mind of their time zone and operating hours. Also, you may not get the person that you need when you call, so it might take a couple of calls to iron out a problem.
Old 09-23-2020, 07:17 AM

I will be going there shortly I have to look for a specific fabric or a close relation to it for a quilt I am working on now. It doesn't have to be an exact match but close. Thanks for the information.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:07 AM

Update on my MDG purchase:

So, as I mentioned above,some of my fabrics came in. I ordered prints and solids and I was curious about how much the fabric might shrink. I was also concerned about bleeding, so I cut 2 scraps of the red and white print fabric, 17X10 inches each and threw one in the washer on hot, then in the dryer. I then compared it to the same size scrap that I did not wash. The washed scrap came out 1/8" shorter for the WOF and 1/2" shorter for the LOF. There was also some fading of the red, but I did not see any bleeding. For my purposes, I'm fine with the results. I like crinkly quilts, so the shrinkage is not a issue and I have a rustic decor, so a slightly, faded print works just fine for me. If that's not to your taste, then you might want to think carefully before ordering from them.

After I received the fabric, I kept thinking that one of the prints looked very familiar. Sure enough, when I went through my scrap basket, there was an almost identical print, with the same fabric weight/texture that I had ordered several years ago from Connecting Threads. That fabric has held up well in my everyday, utility quilt.
Old 10-01-2020, 12:27 PM

Another update on my MDG purchases.

So, I washed 6 yards of another fabric that I purchased from MDG and it shredded along the selvage...not good. Not only that, but it is still very rough. I'm going to have to downgrade my original review of their fabrics. I would now give it a C-/D. I'm afraid to use it now.