Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
MSQC Block Magazine, 3rd issue >

MSQC Block Magazine, 3rd issue

MSQC Block Magazine, 3rd issue

Old 06-30-2014, 05:29 AM

I love the issues. Whoever writes the stories does a great job. I can just picture myself partaking in them. Will keep the subscription, but I do miss the ads for what's new and also hints from other quilters.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:04 AM

Funny, I was thinking of stopping my Fon's and Porter magazine. I think they have way too much scrappy for me. Also seems like they are repeating patterns for older magazines, just with different fabrics. I may be burned out on seeing the same magazine for so many years. It is nice to have a change. I love Jenny's tutorials... always say I want to try this one or that one. The magazine gives me a reference. I haven't received my 3 issue... hope it is in the mail today.

Originally Posted by nancysp View Post
Maybe I missed it but haven't seen any comments on the third magazine yet. It's still a beautiful publication but I'm not sure I will keep my subscription. I initially loved the idea of no ads. In fact, my initial thought was to let my other quilt magazine subscriptions lapse. Now I realize that I get as much out of the ads as I do out of the rest of the magazine . . . new fabrics, new thread, new machines. More like a wish book. I also think the quilt patterns are pretty basic, beginner level and I like to dream about challenging myself to do bigger and better things.

There's one pattern in the new magazine that intrigued me. I read through the instructions and didn't find them very clear. I'm sure I can find an online tutorial to help, but I realized that when I read through instructions in my Fons and Porter magazine, I get a much clearer picture of the skill level and time involved. Really, I would say the block magazine is mostly a "pattern book" to go along with the tutorials. I appreciate that because it gives measurements, etc and you have a book to refer to, but there really isn't anything new. I love MSQC and order often from them, perhaps this particular magazine just isn't for me.

Curious what others think.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Arcy View Post
I loved this issue of Block! The magazine seems to be getting better with each issue. Maybe this time Block has more patterns that I would actually make. Like you, nancysp, I do love to look at the ads in other magazines but Block is 'just quilting' with clear instructions and it is comforting to know there is a video online if needed.

This magazine is going to kick start my quilting after a long hiatus.
I had a great time following the mystery story at the end as much as I did reading and looking at the patterns ..I love MOSQC....
Old 06-30-2014, 07:24 AM

I do not like Fons and Porter especially now Mary Annis bowing out or looks like it.
I do love not having ads in Jennie's Mag.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:31 AM

I agree with some earlier posts here that even using one pattern per edition makes it worth the price. I can't afford precuts for all my projects, but I have been inspired to go through my stash and make up some of my own with related fabric choices. I think I'll start out with the 10" layer cakes which so easily work into charm packs if needed. Then, when I'm having a lazy day but want to sew, I'll just grab and go - choices already made.

Oh, yes. I don't miss the ads. It's a quality publication and the stories are bonus (good writing).
Old 06-30-2014, 07:52 AM

I am a big fan of MSQC and love their new magazine. Two years ago a group of us drove to the store and got on a bus for their quilt shop tour in Iowa and Missouri. It was really well done and we had a great time. I have met Jenny and the girls and they are so real. I get great bargains from their store online and buy quite often. I do think the magazine is mainly for people who like more simple patterns and not for the elaborate applique or designs. I love to quilt but I am not into the fancy stuff anymore. Been there, done that. There are many quilt books and magazines out there and we all have our favorites, isn't that what life is all about ? Pick and choose ?
Old 06-30-2014, 09:46 AM

I actually really liked this issue, and in fact I have already started one of the quilts in it!
Old 06-30-2014, 11:04 AM

I like it as I can't get service on TV or internet so therefore the magazine gives me tutorial on a certain pattern that I want to do while out in the country (farm land in Ga)
Old 06-30-2014, 12:23 PM

I am also questioning whether or not to keep my subscription. I am not a big fan of pre-cuts. I would like to see more patterns using yardage. I am also concerned because of the number of errors in the second issue. No way will I attempt something in the newest issue until I see corrections.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:35 PM

Who's to say the corrections are correct???