Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
New-to-me applique tool....Have you ever seen this? >

New-to-me applique tool....Have you ever seen this?

New-to-me applique tool....Have you ever seen this?

Old 04-01-2015, 05:36 AM

Hi DebbieJJ
No, I have not seen this product; but the technique I have seen the lady from one of my retreats used a small cup, brush, and some starch just brushed the edges of her applique and turned the edges and had small applique iron worked good and looked good.

Vontina
Old 04-01-2015, 05:51 AM

Interesting...I am not a "real" needle turner, but she did use it on what would be EPP technique too, at the end...she took what is already a used technique, designed it, refined it, put her name on it, and a new product is born! Good for her! Anyway, I went to her website..curious about the price and since she's from Australia, I think, wondered if there were any USA distributors...got to site...tried to hone in on products....way to busy....do you find that some websites lately are like a merry go round....click here, click there....way too much info...eyes spinning, I exited.......like the idea of craft shop, refillable pen......as mentioned.....
Old 04-01-2015, 06:37 AM

You can buy the water brush just about anywhere, HobbyLobby, Michaels, Art supply stores, online, Target, Blicks and JoAnn's. According to a blog, a guy purchased 4 for 5 dollars in the kids art section at Target. They come in a pointed end or a large blunt end. They are used for watercoloring, scrapbooking, but mainly water coloring. Or... you can do what Sharon Shamber and her daughter, Cristi Fincher do, spray some starch in a cup, and dip a stencil brush in and "paint" around the freezer paper, fold and iron. Cristi has a Craftsy class for paperless paperpiecing....you do use the paper templates, but you don't sew through the paper,. it is a method of starching with the stencil/starch brush and ironing over the freezer paper pieces, then using Elmer's glue to "piece" the block together, then you sew on the seams....sounds strange, but it seems to work. Just started watching yesterday. I digress, JoAnn's has the brushes on sale today. There is a set of three different tipped in a pack for $17.99....but you maybe able to use a 40% coupon online for less. The others are Pentel, Koi, Sukura......lots of choices if you don't want to use a stencil brush and starch in a cup.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:59 AM

I've used the starch and press technique for at least 30 years. I have my own little kit Takes more time to prep than needle turn over freezer paper, but I enjoy the prep part too, and the applique goes like the wind.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:21 AM

Very cool! Perhaps even I can do needle turn applique now. Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by DebbieJJ View Post
Thanks Onebyone, I knew there must be a less expensive solution to this "problem" for me. I'll be sure to search the children's craft section!
Try this..."nija water brush". I have three and use them for lots of art projects. You can find them online, Dick Blicks or Mr. Art, or at any art or craft supply store. They are not expensive and come in three brush sizes, S,M,L.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:03 AM

I just use a small tea bag dish and a small square paint brush to do the same thing. I have a tutorial posted here on the board that shows how I do it. i think I called it "Here is the applique tutorial I promised". Works great, and if you make a pressing mistake, you can just rewet it and try again. Easy peasy. I do use a sacrificial cloth on my ironing board to protect it from the excess starch.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:30 AM

Thanks for posting this interesting topic. I especially appreciated the tip on doubling the freezer paper. I think I will try to locate a refillable water brush for less.

Geri B. I loved your comment about "do you find that some websites lately are like a merry go round..." YES. About that time (when I find I am not getting where I want to be) I go elsewhere.

OK, it might be just me... but what did she call the tool she was turning the applique with?
Old 04-01-2015, 09:52 AM

She called it the HERA...I think that the correct spelling. I have one but mine is shaped a bit differently. Actually bought it many yrs ago, never really used it. I think it's supposed to crease- mark for hand quilting.....
Old 04-01-2015, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
She called it the HERA...I think that the correct spelling. I have one but mine is shaped a bit differently. Actually bought it many yrs ago, never really used it. I think it's supposed to crease- mark for hand quilting.....

Thanks. Probably the bamboo skewers I bought will work for this.