Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
New video from Karen Brown >

New video from Karen Brown

New video from Karen Brown

Old 02-22-2019, 01:13 PM

Default New video from Karen Brown

This has some great tips about managing your stash. I'm excited about the design website she mentions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfKbHQFGgvE
Old 02-22-2019, 05:16 PM

Great ideas! She's very nice. Thanks for posting!
Old 02-23-2019, 04:10 AM

Enjoyed the video. Will add it to our quilt website later today. I particularly encourage folks to do #3. It is absolutely freeing to get rid of what your truly do not like. This is an easy way to practice point #2. I may try the app but I do not have an abundance of pre-cuts.
Old 02-23-2019, 05:34 AM

That was worth watching...thank you for posting.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:47 AM

This was disturbing!!! If I'm going to outlive my stash I've got to get started making easy quilts right away!
Old 02-23-2019, 06:53 AM
DJ

I watched most of the video, but it's really not my style. Collecting fabric is my hobby; and I do have every intention of using it someday; but sometimes it's hard to cut into. LOL
Old 02-23-2019, 07:16 AM

Great ideas she has. Thanks for the tip on the video. I'm working thru my stash this year. Just added another recipent to my list, a little girl whose had a hard life already and she's only 5-6 yo. Decided to make her a quilt.....got her favorite colors from her grandmother and that she loves roses. Started searching thru the web, my books, etc. for the perfect quilt for her. Found one that's called Pixelated Rose...............her name is Rosie and she loves roses. Perfect pattern. Now comes the hard part, finding the perfect fabrics in her favorite colors. Almost thought I'd have to order fabric but after diligent searching I found all the fabrics that would work. They're now hanging up drying from a starch bath. Will get them pressed later in the day and start cutting the strips. Cut enough fabrics so I could make her a pillowcase with her name one it to go with the quilt and maybe even a stuffed pillow. Found the pattern online free too so its a win-win situation. Love when I can find everything I need from my stash.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by lyric girl View Post
This is really cool to me. Karen Brown is the President of the guild I belong to, Toronto Modern Quilt Guild. Also, the design program, PreQuilt, is made by another member, Laura Henneberry. The world wide web can sometimes be a small place.
Indeed it can!!!

Nice video to watch and nice to hear of the "local" connections!
Old 02-23-2019, 01:30 PM

Great ideas. Thanks for posting the video link.
Old 03-03-2019, 12:16 PM

I'm with institches33 and DJ. I don't buy nearly as much as I used to. I've found that I love "scrappy" quilts best, even if they aren't from scraps but from a few strips cut from many fabrics. I don't like quilts that only have 3 or 4 fabrics in them nearly as much. So where I used to buy at least a yard, now I am much more likely to buy 1/2 yard, tops.

I also retired, so income has decreased. I got fabrics OUT of tubs and into wire cube shelving system in a closet.
I'm happy to shop my stash, but if I love something, I'll get some. Collecting is still part of the hobby for me; I love to go on shop hops or day trips with quilting friends.

Big chunky quilts aren't my thing at all. If it's 3", chances are it's not going to be in a quilt I make unless I cut it!

And, btw, you can't take money with you, either. Yes, I have children and grandchildren. They have quilts (although in all honesty, they prefer fleecy/minky type stuff - yuck!). It's not my goal to make sure I have a large savings when I die. I didn't want my parents to leave me money, either - I wanted them to enjoy it. Hopefully, our girls feel the same. If there is money left when I go, lucky them.