Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Quiltfolk magazine and this/that regarding other magazines >

Quiltfolk magazine and this/that regarding other magazines

Quiltfolk magazine and this/that regarding other magazines

Old 03-31-2019, 05:47 AM

Default Quiltfolk magazine and this/that regarding other magazines

Does anyone here subscribe to this magazine? I got a feed on my FB account. Looks like a nice publication. Four times a year but...."special" today only $75!!!! No advertisements, so I guess they have to make up the revenue somewhere. Think they'll last? Just curious if it is only stories of the quilts or if patterns are included.

No, I am not considering subscribing. Way, way, way too expensive for folks on a fixed income. If it is truly a wonderful magazine, maybe I can convince my local library to order it (they are always looking for suggestions and at present have zero quilt magazines).

I also received a letter from The Quilting Company (McCall's, Quick Quilts, etc.) saying that they are Not ceasing production and that subscribers will receive all the issues they have coming to them. I am so glad as I have years' worth of subscriptions with most of the magazines.

Last is a question: is the Fons & Porter magazine still being printed? Haven't seen an issue for a while now. (I do believe they are part of The Quilting Company umbrella). Maybe I am just "between" issues???

Thanks!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-31-2019 at 09:04 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 03-31-2019, 09:07 AM
Power Poster

wow, made me think of BLOCK magazine... same with no ads. But this one is twice as expensive!
Old 03-31-2019, 12:23 PM

Quiltfolks is not a traditional magazine. I purchased the edition focusing on Hawaii because I had been to most of the shops in the magazine and even met some of the people they focused on. It is full of stories, well written, about quilters. Each edition focuses on a state. It does not have patterns or any suggestions of the latest and greatest gadget you should buy. It is just stories with a lot of wonderful pictures.

I didn't subscribe because I don't typically purchase books (and really you are getting a book of short stories). I will buy the editions that interest me at Barnes and Noble. Even so I hope they do well and continue for years to come.
Old 03-31-2019, 01:36 PM
Power Poster

I bought one issue of Quilt Folk and then realized there was no reason to keep it around after reading it and hated to get rid of it because of the cost. The only quilt magazine I get is Block. It has stories and patterns and no ads. I have a gift subscription to Quiltmaker but it's usually boring.
Old 03-31-2019, 01:42 PM

Yes, it's a non-traditional magazine with each publication focusing on a region/state. The content is excellent and filled with wonderful current and historical short stories that delve into the quilting culture within that region with beautiful pictures and no ads! It far exceeds the expectations of a typical magazine and I thoroughly enjoy it. It's really not comparable to other quilting magazines - not even the block magazine (in my opinion) and I think worth the $75.
Old 03-31-2019, 04:43 PM

Love of quilting is still published. I don’t know if that’s the one you are referring to. I have a couple of their templates I’d love to get but can’t find them
Old 04-01-2019, 04:41 AM

I just received my Fons and Porter last week. They are under the same umbrella as McCall’s, etc. I got a letter saying they were not going to stop printing.
Old 04-01-2019, 09:08 AM

I agree with TheMerkleFamily. I have a subscription to Quiltfolk and I love reading all the stories... I think you have to really be interested in the history of quilting in various places in order to enjoy the magazine (which is really more like a series of books, in my opinion, each one focusing on a specific place).

I also subscribe to Block but there is just no comparison between the two publications. Block is for quick and easy projects and quilts with precuts. Although the recent price increase for Block may cause me to re-evaluate that one. I could see the value in $5.99, but not so sure about $7.99.

And by the way, Quiltfolk confirmed on their Facebook page that Barnes & Noble will no longer be carrying the magazine. They said "selected" Jo-Ann Fabrics stores will have it. You can also buy single issues at their website without having to subscribe.
Old 04-01-2019, 09:41 AM
Power Poster

I am curious about Quiltfolk because Mary Fons, daughter of Marianne Fons, is either the editor, or some such function on the magazine and she posts about it on her blog. I don't want to subscribe so may go to Barnes and Noble and look at one. I wonder if libraries would start getting them. That would be perfect.
Old 04-02-2019, 07:54 AM
TMK

Bought the same issue. Enjoyed the articles but disappointed that there were no patterns along with it.

Originally Posted by Sheri.a View Post
Quiltfolks is not a traditional magazine. I purchased the edition focusing on Hawaii because I had been to most of the shops in the magazine and even met some of the people they focused on. It is full of stories, well written, about quilters. Each edition focuses on a state. It does not have patterns or any suggestions of the latest and greatest gadget you should buy. It is just stories with a lot of wonderful pictures.

I didn't subscribe because I don't typically purchase books (and really you are getting a book of short stories). I will buy the editions that interest me at Barnes and Noble. Even so I hope they do well and continue for years to come.